Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU
Bookmark and Share
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wyoming/LSU
BYU
After Boise deciding to stay with the MWC, I think soon we should hear something from BYU.

If you look at what the MWC offered Boise St and the rest of their schools, its just a little less than what BYU is getting from ESPN. They are getting somewhere between 800k - 1.2 mil per home game and their contract states a min. of 3 games to be televised.

You know Boise St is ESPN's darling, so they want to get in on the MWC TV contract, keeping BYU in that fold as well just benefits them more. Expect them to offer BYU/MWC some kind of offer that makes everyone happy.

I know the MWC and BYU have had some talks the past couple of months, but I'm expecting them to heat up here real shortly.
01-01-2013 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

RE: BYU
I know BYU really wants their independence, but if ESPN can offer them the same exposure to re-join the MWC, I think they have to seriously consider it.
01-01-2013 03:25 PM
PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BSU and WWU
I could see at the very least a scheduling agreement.
01-01-2013 03:27 PM
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

(01-01-2013 03:27 PM)PoiseState Wrote:  I could see at the very least a scheduling agreement.

I'm still thinking a deal similar to Notre Dame. Independence in football but the rest of the sports in the MWC and that would offset Hawaii.
01-01-2013 03:28 PM
PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

We have a really long series set up with them already so it is really no consequence to Boise.
01-01-2013 03:56 PM
Advertisement

SergiofromFresno Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
BYU back in the fold would be Perfect. San Diego Returning with Houston, SMU, & UTEP added to, would make a very formidable 16 schools. However, part of me wants to see 18 with Tulsa and UTSA added to, just to have a major presence in the 4 Texas Metros, and Tulsa's strong athletic brand. Should be interesting if we move past 16..
01-02-2013 02:08 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(01-02-2013 02:08 AM)SergiofromFresno Wrote:  BYU back in the fold would be Perfect. San Diego Returning with Houston, SMU, & UTEP added to, would make a very formidable 16 schools. However, part of me wants to see 18 with Tulsa and UTSA added to, just to have a major presence in the 4 Texas Metros, and Tulsa's strong athletic brand. Should be interesting if we move past 16..

BYU most likely isn't coming. At best they might be back for other sports and a fb scheduling alliance. SDSU is as good as back in. We'll go for Houston & SMU for 14. I think they'll stay east and get Tulsa to join them since Tulsa likes SMU and Tulane a lot. I hope we still go to 14 w/ UTEP and UTSA. Our new deal needs us to sell more 2 & 3 tier games they'd and content to sell and get us back recruiting in Texas.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 04:23 AM by Fresno St. Alum.)
01-02-2013 04:23 AM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
01-09-2013 08:16 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(01-09-2013 08:16 PM)eldermars Wrote:  http://cougarcorner.com/download/file.ph...&mode=view
There you have it, MWC's pipe dream, just like the nBE's of 300 million.
01-09-2013 08:30 PM
Advertisement

Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
BYU would be great as a MEMBER in the MWC. This idea to set give them a some sort of scheduling alliance like they are Notre Dame would be a huge mistake. Look at all the problems a non-committment by ND created for the BE. If BYU wants to play in our bowls and have access to our possible BCS-type game bowl, then they can join with the rest of us and add some value to the MW conference.

If not, then they are free to enjoy a Poinsettia-type bowl every year and continue wishing and waiting for a call from the Big 12 that may never come.

I really hope they join, but the MWC would gain nothing with them in some kind of alliance, and place at risk losing bowl spots, while the Cougs would gain everything they would need to remain indy. The MWC is holding the cards right now---not BYU.
01-10-2013 07:30 AM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

(01-10-2013 07:30 AM)Road Apple Wrote:  BYU would be great as a MEMBER in the MWC. This idea to set give them a some sort of scheduling alliance like they are Notre Dame would be a huge mistake. Look at all the problems a non-committment by ND created for the BE.
Any more problems than WVU's non-committment, TCU's non-committment, Rutgers' non-committment, Louisville's non-committment, or BSU's non-committment?
01-11-2013 05:21 AM
Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

(01-11-2013 05:21 AM)eldermars Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 07:30 AM)Road Apple Wrote:  BYU would be great as a MEMBER in the MWC. This idea to set give them a some sort of scheduling alliance like they are Notre Dame would be a huge mistake. Look at all the problems a non-committment by ND created for the BE.
Any more problems than WVU's non-committment, TCU's non-committment, Rutgers' non-committment, Louisville's non-committment, or BSU's non-committment?

Yes. Those schools were all conference members who contributed to conference strength and shared revenue. BYU, like ND, would not be a formal contributing FB member but yet get to replace MW conference teams in the leagues bowl games, including the one shot at the more lucrative BCS-type bowl.

How would that "scheduling alliance" with BYU benefit the MWC?
01-11-2013 02:53 PM
PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

Welcome aboard Eldermars! Glad to see you posting here. I haven't seen your handle for looonnnggg time. Hope you stick around.
01-11-2013 03:22 PM
Advertisement

lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming

You forgot Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, VT and BC.

Wow, an entire conference has left
01-11-2013 08:11 PM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

(01-11-2013 08:11 PM)lew240z Wrote:  You forgot Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, VT and BC. Wow, an entire conference has left.
They're the new WAC!

That's bad.

As for a BYU-MWC deal, you would need BYU home games on ESPN to count towards the MWC $300-500K bonus program. Add in some BYUtv use for the entire conference (for example, televising the entire MWC women's basketball tournament, etc.), and maybe you start seeing some two-way value. I don't know, might be something there.
01-12-2013 04:33 AM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
BYU won't be back unless ESPN is behind all this. If ESPN is driving then maybe if not then no chance. BYU will do what ESPN tells them to do
01-13-2013 07:43 PM
Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2013 07:43 PM)billings Wrote:  BYU won't be back unless ESPN is behind all this. If ESPN is driving then maybe if not then no chance. BYU will do what ESPN tells them to do

Good point. If ESPN still has the rights to some of BYU's games and now has access to other's in the MWC (Boise State for instance) they might be on board. Especially if it helps build the MWC into the #6 nationally ranked conference and one they would be interested in bidding on in 2016.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 09:11 AM by Road Apple.)
01-14-2013 09:10 AM
Advertisement

SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
I would welcome BYU back to the MWC (that is if the Aztecs go back to the MWC).

Man I hate BYU!!!
01-14-2013 12:44 PM
San Juan Sun Offline
Water Engineer

(01-14-2013 12:44 PM)SteveAztec Wrote:  Man I hate BYU!!!

You should hate SDSU's inability to score TDs more.
01-14-2013 02:27 PM
SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(01-14-2013 02:27 PM)San Juan Sun Wrote:  
(01-14-2013 12:44 PM)SteveAztec Wrote:  Man I hate BYU!!!

You should hate SDSU's inability to score TDs more.

Ha...That too.
01-15-2013 04:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.