Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marrone has interviews with Bills & Browns
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Marrone has interviews with Bills & Browns
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...6951046144

Kinda bittersweet for me if he were to be offered the Bills job and accept. As a Bills fan, he'd be an improvement but I think they need someone on the defensive side of the ball.

As for the Browns, the offense actually might fit Weeden's skill set.
12-31-2012 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Marrone has interviews with Bills & Browns
[Image: teddy-kgb-rounders-movie.jpg]

Pay that man his money.

There's no way Gross can let this happen. With all the money SU will get from the ACC TV deal, there's no excuse for letting him get away (if it's a money issue).
12-31-2012 10:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

Agree Zibby. If he's using it as leverage for a raise, SU can pay.
12-31-2012 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
If you want to dance, you gotta pay the band.
12-31-2012 11:23 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
It's time for Syracuse to to pay him and staff!
12-31-2012 11:25 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I think he is using it for leverage too...need to get the 120 yd practice facility built, better pay for all the coaches.
12-31-2012 11:26 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

The thing that he has that has the NFL's attention is his previous work as an assistant, plus apparently the endorsement of both Sean Payton and Bill Parcells. Didn't work for Parcells at the pro level, he worked for Herm Edwards during his Jets stint. Worked for Payton on the Saints staff, but I think SU was his 1st stint calling plays.

Listening to Charlie Casserly today on NFL Network, many teams would be more willing to take a college coach who had a record of working at the pro level as an assistant, compared to one with no pro experience at all.

For those wondering since the Bucs looked at Chip Kelly and hired Greg Schiano, Schiano did work for three years as a Bears assistant, though only one year as a position coach.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 11:46 PM by mattsarz.)
12-31-2012 11:35 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Believe it or not but the Browns have some good young talent and it appears that Jimmy Haslem is willing to spend the $$$ for coaches/players.

Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon with a good young O-Line and a pretty good defense...that job is interesting.
01-01-2013 05:51 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
You cannot blame him for leaving to the NFL regardless of how much SU can offer.
01-01-2013 06:07 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
(01-01-2013 06:07 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  You cannot blame him for leaving to the NFL regardless of how much SU can offer.

It always hurts when these types of things come up if you're a fan of the team. As a fan, you probably feel like the job is a destination job. "Hey - I'm a fan of this team and have been my whole life so why can't coaches feel the same way and way to stay!"

Deep down, I agree with you, though. I don't think Saban could have any reason to leave Alabama but I can understand Marrone leaving Syracuse, Chryst leaving Pitt, etc. to go to the NFL.
01-01-2013 11:55 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(12-31-2012 10:58 PM)zibby Wrote:  [Image: teddy-kgb-rounders-movie.jpg]

Pay that man his money.

There's no way Gross can let this happen. With all the money SU will get from the ACC TV deal, there's no excuse for letting him get away (if it's a money issue).

No way anybody in college can compete with the big money of the NFL.
Even Alabama is vulnerable to losing Nick Saban and he makes 5.5 million per year. If you think the college TV contracts are big, the NFL dwarfs those contracts. The NFL makes big, big $$$ off of their TV contracts. I kind of suspect Marrone will leave for the NFL if he is offered a job. Hard to turn down that kind of money even as he can get enough money to secure his family's finances.
Hard to win in the NFL without a decent quarterback though.
01-02-2013 02:22 AM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
As a Browns fan, I say no thanks.
01-02-2013 07:33 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(01-02-2013 07:33 AM)Ragu Wrote:  As a Browns fan, I say no thanks.

Im hoping that the Bills and Browns leadership and every other NFL team has the same reaction. I dont know why his name keeps coming up so much for these jobs as he is only 25-25 after winning the Pinstripe Bowl. I believe that he's a good coach and that it took him a while to get evn is because he inherited a mess and had no depth until this season. But still he is not proven enough for NFL teams, imo.
01-02-2013 08:46 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(01-02-2013 08:46 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Im hoping that the Bills and Browns leadership and every other NFL team has the same reaction. I dont know why his name keeps coming up so much for these jobs as he is only 25-25 after winning the Pinstripe Bowl. I believe that he's a good coach and that it took him a while to get evn is because he inherited a mess and had no depth until this season. But still he is not proven enough for NFL teams, imo.

I'm not an NFL fan but here is my guess: Marrone had time as an OC for a Super Bowl Champion, he has proven to be a great talent evaluator (2 star kids becoming future NFL draft picks), he took a team full of marginal 1A players into two time bowl winning team in a short period time, He runs a nice NFL based offense now that he had some talant (the first three years was alot of smoke and mirrors), the NFL loves guys who can evaluate talent and run a team with a solid offense and defense.
01-02-2013 09:51 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(01-02-2013 09:51 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

I'm not an NFL fan but here is my guess: Marrone had time as an OC for a Super Bowl Champion, he has proven to be a great talent evaluator (2 star kids becoming future NFL draft picks), he took a team full of marginal 1A players into two time bowl winning team in a short period time, He runs a nice NFL based offense now that he had some talant (the first three years was alot of smoke and mirrors), the NFL loves guys who can evaluate talent and run a team with a solid offense and defense.

I actually think he would be a home run hire for either the Browns or Bills for the reasons you stated. Plus he knows how to handle a NFL Lockerroom since he has experience at that level.

For Cuse sake I hope you keep him because I love the way he coaches...plus he kicked our butts this year and we have payback on our minds...05-mafia
01-02-2013 02:42 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(01-01-2013 11:55 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 06:07 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  You cannot blame him for leaving to the NFL regardless of how much SU can offer.

It always hurts when these types of things come up if you're a fan of the team. As a fan, you probably feel like the job is a destination job. "Hey - I'm a fan of this team and have been my whole life so why can't coaches feel the same way and way to stay!"

Deep down, I agree with you, though. I don't think Saban could have any reason to leave Alabama but I can understand Marrone leaving Syracuse, Chryst leaving Pitt, etc. to go to the NFL.

Yep. As much as UC fans love to hate on Brian Kelly for the way he left to Notre Dame...there are some jobs that just cannot be turned down. Now, ND has to be concerned that the NFL make come calling sooner than later.
01-02-2013 02:59 PM
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

He's had ringing endorsements from Mickey Loomis (GM New Orleans Saints), Sean Peyton (coach - New Orleans Saints - one of the best, I might add) as well as Bill Parcells and others. These are good references in my books and the other NFL teams have taken notice. It's not always about wins and losses in college for evaluating coaches. A lot of coaches have big advantages (i.e.- Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Texas, Florida) when it comes to recruiting. The players are obviously more talented for the most part at those schools versus Syracuse, so then its a matter of what he did with the limited talent available. He has done well in my opinion as well as the opinion of some well respected NFL people.
01-03-2013 12:17 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

The good news is that Doug Marrone is out of the running for the Cleveland job.
The bad news is that he has interviews with Buffalo (President is a former Syracuse resident), Eagles and Chargers.
His stock has really risen fast.
01-06-2013 01:36 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
At this point, all we can do is wish him good luck.

He's now flirted with so many of the open jobs it's becoming obvious he wants out of Syracuse. And I, for one, don't want someone coaching there who doesn't want to be there.

He came in saying SU was his dream job even though there were NFL GMs that said if he waited to the end of the regular season he would be on their short list. I guess the old adage about being careful what you wish for you just might get it applies to Dougie. Seems he tried it and didn't like it.

Guess we're spoiled at SU with the likes of Jimmy B and Desko and Mike Hopkins who has been Coach-In-Waiting now like forever.

Cheers,
Neil
01-06-2013 02:23 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

And...he's gone. Bills. See other thread.
01-06-2013 08:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.