Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CMU vs. M
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
CMU vs. M
We'll have hands full with CMU. Hung tough against a Hardaway-less Michigan.
12-29-2012 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
RE: CMU vs. M
It was 46-29 at half. scUM sleep walked through the rest of the game.

Chips couldn't guard the paint. UM was doing layup drills. It will be the same with every team in conference play. They'll pound it inside all day long, and CMU will jack up threes and chase down missed shots all day long.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 09:16 PM by Chipdip.)
12-29-2012 09:06 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
We prolly will split.
12-29-2012 09:17 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(12-29-2012 09:17 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  We prolly will split.

Then maybe Hawk needs to use the CMU recruiting model. Wait until every quality player is signed, pick up a transfer that nobody else wants, and start a front line that is only slightly taller than most teams guards.

If Keno wins 4 games in the MAC with this rag tag bunch he should be named coach of the year.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 09:22 PM by Chipdip.)
12-29-2012 09:21 PM
Advertisement

BrianPersky Offline
Banned

I Root For: WMU
In a hilarious twist, someone forgot to renew Central Michigan's athletic page over Christmas break. See for yourself:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 09:51 PM by BrianPersky.)
12-29-2012 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
(12-29-2012 09:21 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  

Then maybe Hawk needs to use the CMU recruiting model. Wait until every quality player is signed, pick up a transfer that nobody else wants, and start a front line that is only slightly taller than most teams guards.

If Keno wins 4 games in the MAC with this rag tag bunch he should be named coach of the year.

There are two scenarios here:

1. You're wrong, and CMU's "rec leaguers" are actually pretty solid basketball players despite when they signed.

or

2. You're right, and Keno is getting W's despite having a roster of freshman D-II players, in which case the rest of the MAC is screwed once Davis has a full recruiting season and gets more talent on campus.

Either way I think KD has exceeded everyone's expectations this far. They haven't beaten any good teams (best win is probably Wright State) but they haven't lost to any bad teams either. When you look at common opponents with other MAC schools they've been on par or better in those matchups. I don't think it's going to be too far into January before you eat crow on your winless in the MAC prediction.
12-29-2012 10:48 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
I might eat crow on my winless prediction, but they'll still finish dead last in the West and likely won't win more than 2 or 3 games, and those will come when they're knocking down threes at an unheard of percentage.

Conference play ALWAYS exposes your weakness, and Keno & Co. have several. Teams will exploit them left and right.

As for the future when he has great recruits, Keno is having the same problem that Jay Smith had. "You can't recruit basketball players to this place." He just signed a 6'10" center out of Addison, MI who specializes in shooting threes. The only thing more odd is if he was a cross dresser like their previous center.
12-30-2012 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Not that there is anything wrong with being a cross dresser.
12-30-2012 03:36 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Taped the rebroadcast of the CMU/scUM game. First off Hardaway didnt play.

Second their offense takes place 24 feet from the basket. Four guys 5 feet beyond the three point line jacking up a gazillion threes. They're down 25 almost from start to finish, and make just enough threes to keep it at 25. This is a gimick offense. It won't fly over the course of conference play. At times they were posting up Austin Keel. That would be like us posting up Richie.

They run a zone defense with enormous gaps in it.

Gimicks simply don't work.
12-30-2012 04:32 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-30-2012 04:32 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  Taped the rebroadcast of the CMU/scUM game. First off Hardaway didnt play.

Second their offense takes place 24 feet from the basket. Four guys 5 feet beyond the three point line jacking up a gazillion threes. They're down 25 almost from start to finish, and make just enough threes to keep it at 25. This is a gimick offense. It won't fly over the course of conference play. At times they were posting up Austin Keel. That would be like us posting up Richie.

They run a zone defense with enormous gaps in it.

Gimicks simply don't work.

I'd post up AR in a heart beat.

Whit, Paul, Hutch, Pokely all at the circle.

1 on 1 AR in the post with his match up? I like it. Seriously.

What is a perimeter players most obvious defensive weakness?
Simple. Guarding the post.

I used it all the team before the 3 pt. line and a "spread" was even conceivable.

Every guard was made to be ambidexterous inside. Everyone knew how to establish and hold post position. Every player regardless of position knew and had to be able to execute and entry pass into the post.

MIKANIZE that boy. It will do him wonders!

For those of you where "all time" means in the last 25 years, MIKANIZE refers to George Mikan. Google him.
12-30-2012 05:01 PM
Advertisement

BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(12-30-2012 05:01 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  For those of you where "all time" means in the last 25 years

The guy that can't put a coherent thought together, still holds onto one (inaccurate) comment I made two months ago...
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 05:16 PM by BrianPersky.)
12-30-2012 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
(12-29-2012 10:48 PM)eich41 Wrote:  
(12-29-2012 09:21 PM)Chipdip Wrote:  

There are two scenarios here:

1. You're wrong, and CMU's "rec leaguers" are actually pretty solid basketball players despite when they signed.

or

2. You're right, and Keno is getting W's despite having a roster of freshman D-II players, in which case the rest of the MAC is screwed once Davis has a full recruiting season and gets more talent on campus.

Either way I think KD has exceeded everyone's expectations this far. They haven't beaten any good teams (best win is probably Wright State) but they haven't lost to any bad teams either. When you look at common opponents with other MAC schools they've been on par or better in those matchups. I don't think it's going to be too far into January before you eat crow on your winless in the MAC prediction.

Keno is getting Ws playing weaksauce teams, that in many cases also play weak schedules.
12-30-2012 05:42 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-30-2012 05:15 PM)BrianPersky Wrote:  
(12-30-2012 05:01 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  For those of you where "all time" means in the last 25 years

The guy that can't put a coherent thought together, still holds onto one (inaccurate) comment I made two months ago...

Brian, no offense intended. But you did help me to understand that not everyone uses the same context, in this case chronological.
I'll refrain from referencing "25 years as all-time" moving on from here.

I am still waiting on your reply to a question I posed to your reply regarding why you'd play Pokely more minutes than Perry.

And of course you're free to comment anything else.

I will assume that maybe the "25 year" comment distracted you (understandably) from my point about posting up guards on offense. What is your take on Dip's and my contrasting positions?
12-30-2012 08:35 PM
Advertisement

BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(12-30-2012 08:35 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  I am still waiting on your reply to a question I posed to your reply regarding why you'd play Pokely more minutes than Perry.

In no particular order...

1. Spreads the floor better.
2. Provides veteran presence/leadership.
3. He's always in the right spot on offense and defense (comes with experience) - better overall positioning.
4. Slightly more efficient offensively.
5. Slight edge defensively.

I wouldn't say Perry has "out-played" Pokley. He's provided some good minutes off the bench, that's for sure. But I'm not ready to crown a true freshman a starter (or give him more minutes) over a 4-year veteran unless his name is Darius Paul.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 09:14 PM by BrianPersky.)
12-30-2012 09:13 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-30-2012 09:13 PM)BrianPersky Wrote:  
(12-30-2012 08:35 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  I am still waiting on your reply to a question I posed to your reply regarding why you'd play Pokely more minutes than Perry.

In no particular order...

1. Spreads the floor better.
2. Provides veteran presence/leadership.
3. He's always in the right spot on offense and defense (comes with experience) - better overall positioning.
4. Slightly more efficient offensively.
5. Slight edge defensively.

I wouldn't say Perry has "out-played" Pokley. He's provided some good minutes off the bench, that's for sure. But I'm not ready to crown a true freshman a starter (or give him more minutes) over a 4-year veteran unless his name is Darius Paul.

Thank you.

Not suggesting changing spots re starting. I would start Brandon but not play him 30+ minutes a game.

I agree with your point #2. It is the only quantative point.

How do you quantify points 1, 3 and 4? I dont think anyone could. I understand it's your gut. Fine.

Point 4, I havent looked at stats to determine turnovers per minute or something like that from a quantitative perspective.

But how often have you seen in Brandon's career his ability to create his own shot?
It's not his game. Not a knock, just a fact. Brandon is purely a spot up shooter. He'll get a back door lay up off a feed.

So the chances of him turning it over are far less because in the offense his job isnt to create but rather receive. If after receiving it and it's not there he gives it back up (no harm). But a misleading indicator.

There is a pic in the Gazette the other day of Taylor attacking the basket . The pic was from under the rim and behind the backboard. However, the play was off the right wing where he circled left coming out of the corner. AGAIN, the person to whom the reversal pass was intended was overplayed. Instead of killing his dribble or trying to make that "required next pass", Taylor saw an opening and continued to drive left (weak hand), blew past his man, into the lane, was contested by a helping big, who TP allowed to fly by by hanging (athletic move) and put the ball in the bucket.

This is not a move that Brandon even contemplates and for good reason, judgement. Brandon is smart. He knows his limitations. He abides by them and does a good job, generally. Taylor, has the athleticism and made that play. Connar Tava couldnt have made that play, too slow and too low.

USF, you may have even made the comment, but TP greatly impacted their SG Noriega because he could and did contest his jump shot. Noriega could no longer catch, gather and fire and not worry that he'd eat the ball. Big difference. As a result Noriega, at 6'5 tried then to drive it. TP bodied up and didnt back down. Noriega was never a factor thereafter. Prior to that, he was lighting it up and having his way.

I like Brandon. He is a leader. He can be deadly when able to get off his shot. He is smart, usually finds himself in good position. But he isnt as strong or as quick or as fast or play near the rim like Taylor. It's not even debateable. Skill wise, Brandon is the better spot up shooter. Other than that it again isnt even close by any metric.

Or is it?
12-31-2012 12:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.