Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some have bashed ECU but I want to be fair
Bookmark and Share
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Some have bashed ECU but I want to be fair
I have seen a lot of ECU vs USM games and most were about as good as football gets. ECU fans I have encountered mostly are great fans and opponents that you enjoy being able to encounter each season, but I am speaking from a Southern Miss fan's eyes. I would guess other schools would have great memories of ECU and the first to come to my mind is Marshall. I was old enough and knew enough about football in 1970 to recall the horrible plane crash Marshall suffered following a very close and disputed game with ECU, and ECU didn't waver in it's express of sympathy, respect, and friendship with Marshall and hasn't to this day.

Yes I hate to see ECU off the Golden Eagle schedule after all the great games, and I have no doubt that ECU will do fine regardless of what happens with the conference problems, but I do hope that the sportsmanship and class that most ECU fans have shown in my days of watching this rivalry, will continue and grow. I know all schools and sports programs both pro, college, or high school level have those fans who are lacking in sportsmanship, but ECU in my book has a great bunch and my respect.
12-27-2012 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ThunderDent Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Herd & SBC!
RE: Some have bashed ECU but I want to be fair
Very well said. I, along with many other Herd fans, feel the same.

I hope the 3 of us can all be together again one day soon.
12-27-2012 03:00 PM
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I have said all along that if Marshall was in a conf with ECU and So Miss I would be happy no matter what conf it was. Maybe one day who know's . I made my first trip to ECU this year and had a blast and one day hope to make to So Miss for a game.
12-27-2012 03:04 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Hey I appreciate the kind words. I'm still young myself (graduating ECU in may), but I've grown up in Eastern North Carolina and have witnessed the kindness and compassion that many people show towards one another around here. To the people that have hurt feelings over ECU fans, just remember that's the .001%, don't let them ruin the whole school for you.

Y'all come down for any tailgate and we will give you cold beer, good food and show you a good time!
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 03:34 PM by ncbeta.)
12-27-2012 03:32 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I bashed ECU in another thread, but there was a point to it. Many of their fans have been coming here recently and proclaiming ECU's superiority using some worn-out and fallacious arguments. I wanted to point out that ECU isn't any more perfect or good than the rest of us. I took USM fans to task in the same posting... because I'm tired of some of our own crappy "talking points," too. I stil like ECU and I still love USM. People do need a reality check sometimes, though.
12-27-2012 03:55 PM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

No fan base on BBS is more fun to mess with :sly:
12-27-2012 03:55 PM
Advertisement

ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2012 03:55 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  I bashed ECU in another thread, but there was a point to it. Many of their fans have been coming here recently and proclaiming ECU's superiority using some worn-out and fallacious arguments. I wanted to point out that ECU isn't any more perfect or good than the rest of us. I took USM fans to task in the same posting... because I'm tired of some of our own crappy "talking points," too. I stil like ECU and I still love USM. People do need a reality check sometimes, though.

What we all need to keep in mind on these message boards is that you can not make a decision about an entire fan base off of some posts from a small number of fans. I can assure you that most ECU fans understand what our move to the Big East really represents and understands that being in the new Big East is not some ticket to the promise land.

As Terry Holland said regarding the conference move....It was not done based on financial considerations as much as it was done to align ourselves with schools that we have had long relationships with and schools that we consider having the same desires and dedication to their athletic programs as ECU does. Sure there are several teams still outside the Big East that meet this standard but as a group the new Big East is a place where we feel the members are most like ECU.

I hope when it is all said and done that we end up back in a conference with USM. Terry Holland said that he could not promise that the USM series would continue but said he would do everything within his power to play USM as often as possible.
12-27-2012 05:32 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
I loved the whole East division of CUSA and now with Memphis & ECU joining the Aresco Conference it pains me to think that Southern Miss may be pushed West taking away an annual game that I look forward to as much as any on the schedule. I am excited for the new Florida schools and I even came around on ODU and maybe one day Charlotte too. It is pissing my the F off that the whole eastern division has all bu disappeared with just UAB & Marshall remaining. I know USM hasn't been pushed over yet but I feel they will.
12-27-2012 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

This is one of my few times where I have had a MAJOR beef with TH's comments

And this coming as a USM fan, so I'm coming across biased.

(12-27-2012 05:32 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  As Terry Holland said regarding the conference move....It was not done based on financial considerations as much as it was done to align ourselves with schools that we have had long relationships with and schools that we consider having the same desires and dedication to their athletic programs as ECU does. Sure there are several teams still outside the Big East that meet this standard but as a group the new Big East is a place where we feel the members are most like ECU.

So in otherwords, according to Terry you had more in common and better relationships with the basketball schools that just left than with USM's?

More in common with UCONN? Than Marshall?

So you had more in common with the schools that left C-USA E (Memphis, UCF) than the ones that stayed in C-USA East? (USM, UAB, Marshall)

"more dedication" to their athletic programs? That was the one that really chapped me... Basically saying "we (the rest of C-USA) weren't dedicated to our athletic programs?

I'm sorry, but that one statement from TH is the one time he's said something that really pissed me off as a USM fan.

If he had just said "we did this for financial obligations" and then shut up, I think I'd have LESS of an issue with his comments than I did when he went off on his "relationships" comments.

I'm not blaming ECU fans or the school for making a move to try to better themselves, but I think TH was completely DISHONEST to the rest of the C-USA when he made those statements, especially when ECU was one of the schools that was involved in the 1st batch of new members, I was pissed at ECU administration (again, not the fans or the teams of the school) and TH in particular.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 05:57 PM by DaSaintFan.)
12-27-2012 05:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
(12-27-2012 05:39 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  I loved the whole East division of CUSA and now with Memphis & ECU joining the Aresco Conference it pains me to think that Southern Miss may be pushed West taking away an annual game that I look forward to as much as any on the schedule. I am excited for the new Florida schools and I even came around on ODU and maybe one day Charlotte too. It is pissing my the F off that the whole eastern division has all bu disappeared with just UAB & Marshall remaining. I know USM hasn't been pushed over yet but I feel they will.

I'm a little worried that Southern Miss will be pushed to the west as well at some point. I hope it doesn't happen but if it does, I can understand why the conference would want to do that considering their proximity to La Tech and some others.

My guess is that in 2015 the East will look like this:

Marshall
MTSU
ODU
FIU
FAU
UAB
Charlotte
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 06:46 PM by MUHERD76.)
12-27-2012 06:42 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(12-27-2012 05:56 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  So in otherwords, according to Terry you had more in common and better relationships with the basketball schools that just left than with USM's?

Stop right there...considering our invite was for football only, I think you are way off base there. Take that out and then try to reformulate your issues with TH.
12-27-2012 06:47 PM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2012 05:56 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  This is one of my few times where I have had a MAJOR beef with TH's comments

And this coming as a USM fan, so I'm coming across biased.

(12-27-2012 05:32 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  As Terry Holland said regarding the conference move....It was not done based on financial considerations as much as it was done to align ourselves with schools that we have had long relationships with and schools that we consider having the same desires and dedication to their athletic programs as ECU does. Sure there are several teams still outside the Big East that meet this standard but as a group the new Big East is a place where we feel the members are most like ECU.

So in otherwords, according to Terry you had more in common and better relationships with the basketball schools that just left than with USM's?

More in common with UCONN? Than Marshall?

So you had more in common with the schools that left C-USA E (Memphis, UCF) than the ones that stayed in C-USA East? (USM, UAB, Marshall)

"more dedication" to their athletic programs? That was the one that really chapped me... Basically saying "we (the rest of C-USA) weren't dedicated to our athletic programs?

I'm sorry, but that one statement from TH is the one time he's said something that really pissed me off as a USM fan.

If he had just said "we did this for financial obligations" and then shut up, I think I'd have LESS of an issue with his comments than I did when he went off on his "relationships" comments.

I'm not blaming ECU fans or the school for making a move to try to better themselves, but I think TH was completely DISHONEST to the rest of the C-USA when he made those statements, especially when ECU was one of the schools that was involved in the 1st batch of new members, I was pissed at ECU administration (again, not the fans or the teams of the school) and TH in particular.

Does anyone have a link to the exact quotes from Holland?
12-27-2012 06:48 PM
DaSaintFan Offline

(12-27-2012 06:47 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 05:56 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  So in otherwords, according to Terry you had more in common and better relationships with the basketball schools that just left than with USM's?

Stop right there...considering our invite was for football only, I think you are way off base there. Take that out and then try to reformulate your issues with TH.

Like I said, Gray, this is, honestly, the only time I've ever had an issue with TH's comments...

and I still think the ECU administration knew that if/when Louisville left (again, I think it was more of a when), the FB only invite would become an all-sports invite. (but I can only go on my personal gut-feeling on that one)
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 06:54 PM by DaSaintFan.)
12-27-2012 06:53 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(12-27-2012 06:53 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

Like I said, Gray, this is, honestly, the only time I've ever had an issue with TH's comments...

and I still think the ECU administration knew that if/when Louisville left (again, I think it was more of a when), the FB only invite would become an all-sports invite. (but I can only go on my personal gut-feeling on that one)

I really don't think TH was trying to trash USM or even Marshall, but lets be honest about the schools coming into CUSA, they are not the equivalent of the schools that are leaving. Which situation would be the better long term play? What would you have done in that situation?
12-27-2012 07:00 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators

Actually according to multiple ECU posters on this board ECU moving to whatever conference for ALL sports was and has been a done deal. So comment is valid and no reformulation is needed.

Is reformulation a real word?
03-confused
12-27-2012 07:09 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2012 07:00 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

I really don't think TH was trying to trash USM or even Marshall, but lets be honest about the schools coming into CUSA, they are not the equivalent of the schools that are leaving. Which situation would be the better long term play? What would you have done in that situation?

I want to see the exact quote from Holland......Can somebody post it?

That being said, what is there not to like about some of the schools coming in? Was Terry Holland not a big advocate of ODU, FIU, Charlotte etc? I know Marshall was a big vocal presence for ODU, Charlotte, FIU and MTSU......was Holland not a supporter of those schools? I thought he was?
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 07:10 PM by MUHERD76.)
12-27-2012 07:09 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(12-27-2012 07:09 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  Is reformulation a real word?
03-confused

I have no idea, but it fit the sentence.
12-27-2012 07:22 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-27-2012 07:09 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  
(12-27-2012 07:00 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

I want to see the exact quote from Holland......Can somebody post it?

That being said, what is there not to like about some of the schools coming in? Was Terry Holland not a big advocate of ODU, FIU, Charlotte etc? I know Marshall was a big vocal presence for ODU, Charlotte, FIU and MTSU......was Holland not a supporter of those schools? I thought he was?

He said something like it in the press conference where ECU accepted the invitation from the BE:

"It is our intention for today's announcement to be a strong first step toward finding the best competitive environment possible for ECU's nineteen varsity sports," ECU Director of Athletics Terry Holland said. "BIG EAST Football provides an opportunity to renew old rivalries and begin new ones, both of which will be exciting for our players, coaches and fans. A football-only membership provided ECU's gateway to an all sports membership in C-USA and a number of other successful programs, including Virginia Tech, received their opportunity through a football-only membership in the BIG EAST.

Holland explained that East Carolina's next step would be to find an "equally exciting and competitive environment for the eighteen sports other than football." He confirmed ECU has not initiated contact with other conferences prior to Tuesday's announcement, but indicated the search will begin in earnest as soon as the press conference concluded.

"The changing conference circumstances in today's intercollegiate athletics landscape practically ensures that our quest will always be a journey and not a destination," .

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/AP-EC...12821.html
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 07:38 PM by PirateMarv.)
12-27-2012 07:27 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
You know...Hate Away!
12-27-2012 07:38 PM
DaSaintFan Offline

(12-27-2012 07:00 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I really don't think TH was trying to trash USM or even Marshall, but lets be honest about the schools coming into CUSA, they are not the equivalent of the schools that are leaving. Which situation would be the better long term play? What would you have done in that situation?

sometimes what you try to convey and what you do convey are two different things. As a USM fan I feel like TH did slap our school in the face, particularly with the long relatioonships comment.

Again, I've never gone out of my way to trash ECU fans (although there is one who could deserve it :) ) or the school. And remember, I am looking at this through USM-Beer Glasses 04-cheers

But what "long relationships" is he talking about?

Total games played (FB only):

ECU vs. Memphis: 20 games
ECU vs. Houston, Tulane, UCF = 11 games each
ECU vs. SMU = 4 games each
Future BE mates: Cincinnati (17), UConn (0), Temple (11), USF (4)

=========
USM (36), UAB (11), Marshall (13), North Texas (1) that did surprise me acutally, tulsa (10), UTEP (3), La Tech (6), FIU/FAU/ODU/MTSU (0)

So basically Memphis vs. USM (20/36)
Cincinnati vs. Marshall (17/13)
Temple/Tulsa (11/10)
La Tech / SMU (6/4)
USF/UTEP (4/3)

Other than that, I don't see any "long relationshps" (other than the Cincy one) that are being 'recultivated' (I'm not sure Temple was ever a "rivalry/relationship"?), that weren't already reasonably matched in C-USA, or couldn't be built up.

Again, dont' take it as a slight against ECU (I will always have respect for the school, team, and fans), I think it was just more my frustration at the administrations comments (again, in a USM-fan's view) that did slap us in the face in a way.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2012 07:52 PM by DaSaintFan.)
12-27-2012 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.