Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To all the Bartow bashers
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
To all the Bartow bashers
Okay, boys, who said this?

“I am confident in Coach (Murry) Bartow. I think he does a great job on the court and I feel that we will move in the right direction in respect to our basketball program. A lot of people have said what's the future there? The future's that we have a great basketball coach. He's been to the NCAA tournament on numerous occasions, three post-season appearances in the last five years. I have faith and confidence in Coach Bartow and the things that he's able to do on and off the court, but individuals will be held accountable. I'm embarrassed on behalf of the university and I don't want to be in this position again."

It was everyone's favorite savior, Dr. Brian Noland, just one month ago on Nov. 26, a week after Cooley and Dubose were arrested.

http://www2.wjhl.com/news/2012/nov/26/et...r-2383715/

Now, I'm not saying Murry Bartow is a great basketball coach. Noland is.

But what I am saying is that you don't say this after the arrest of two star players for drug dealing if you hold the coach responsible for recruiting them.

Think Noland will change his mind because the Bucs are now 1-10? They were 1-3 at the time he made that comment and had just failed to put up 40 points in a 16-point defeat to a school ETSU beat by 18 the last time they met in 2007-08.

When ETSU was 7-19 the year after Bartow didn't have Wadood and Fields anymore, ETSU could have easily theorized Bartow was a lousy coach, had only won the year before with DeChellis' players, and fired Bartow.

Instead, they gave him an extension after that very season!

So why do you honestly think ETSU will do differently now, especially when the coach has the scapegoat of the arrests of perhaps his top two players to fall back on and the team's winning percentage figures to pick up once conference season begins?

Which will inevitably lead to the old "Coach Bartow went through a lot this season, but he never lost his team" line after the team wins their alloted handful of games this year and beats some conference foe in a game where everything breaks for ETSU.

Again, I'm not saying Bartow is a great coach, Noland is. And he gave Bartow such strong praise at such a bad time that I can't see anyone with a shred of honesty going back on it even if ETSU fails to win another game this year.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2012 12:30 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
12-26-2012 12:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
RE: To all the Bartow bashers
If you watched that interview- he was not full of praise for Bartow, he was pissed. Most of us said at the time that this does not look good for Bartow, and you are nitpicking the fact that he gave him a compliment before saying that he is embarrassed and will not be put in this position again?
12-26-2012 06:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BucFyre Offline
1st String

Not having seen or heard any of this, I would imagine that if the season continues to go this poorly things might change.
12-26-2012 12:41 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You know, etsubuc, when I want to convey an image of being "pissed" I generally don't dress and act like Forrest Gump.

I am merely taking Noland at his word; you are trying to put forth a spin that fits what you want it to. "Not being put in this position again" was pretty much covered with the dismissal of Cooley and DuBose. Why would he compliment a coach if he was planning on firing him at the end of the season? It makes no sense.

It is exactly the statement one makes when he wishes to deflect criticism towards the coach.

That said, if there was another serious criminal activity on this year's team, I would imagine there would be a complete housecleaning. But college presidents don't equate playing too much zone or poor recruiting classes with drug dealing. It's going to take more than losing games to fire Bartow.

But here's the bottom line. I'm far from Murry Bartow's biggest fan. I, too, have grown tired of his indirect answers to questions, "David Mullins is doing a great job," recruiting less-than-desirable people, blaming fans for leaving with 45 seconds left and down by five points, his wife firing a cheerleader for working at Hooters, and playing a defense conducive to Belmont launching more than a dozen 3-pointers to beat ETSU by 30 points or so in the 2007 A-Sun Title game. His first season success was based on winning with DeChellis' players, he failed to reign in Tim Smith from making the same exact mistake he made at the end of the 2003 NCAA Tournament game in the 2004 game that cost the Bucs the game, he went 7-19 when he didn't have DeChellis' players and one has to wonder how much of his success has come because the Bucs are playing in their weakest conference since joining the NCAA in 1957.

On the other hand, he has put forth a fine staff and he does have a good record. There's also something to be said for having a coach that isn't going to be using ETSU as a stepping stone, which any replacement will.

The bottom line is this. Now isn't the time to change basketball coaches. It simply makes no sense to ask the athletic director who gave you the coach you didn't like to give you the one you do. I've said this over and over.

Don't give me "Well, Brian Noland is the president now!" You don't want the college president to be selecting a basketball coach. That's what the athletic director is for, and to believe that Noland would keep on an athletic director that he has such little faith in that he would overstep his authority to make a hire is ridiculous.

I can hardly believe I have to write that it's so obvious.

I don't want a college president selecting my coach. I want him to give final approval and that's it. I want an athletic director to select the coach, and ETSU will likely be able to attract a superior athletic director if he inherits a situation where he can hire his own coaches rather than have one that has had his coaches selected for him.

Mullins goes first.

Say it with me, everyone.

MULLINS GOES FIRST!
12-26-2012 12:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(12-26-2012 12:41 PM)BucFyre Wrote:  Not having seen or heard any of this, I would imagine that if the season continues to go this poorly things might change.

Fyre dear, It's an awfully strong comment for Noland to make and then retract by firing Bartow for on-court performance, especially when his roster was decimated.

You would have to be a complete sycophant to call Noland honest if he fired Bartow in the winter for on-court performance (even if it's a 3-win season) after he says
“I am confident in Coach (Murry) Bartow. I think he does a great job on the court and I feel that we will move in the right direction in respect to our basketball program. A lot of people have said what's the future there? The future's that we have a great basketball coach. He's been to the NCAA tournament on numerous occasions, three post-season appearances in the last five years. I have faith and confidence in Coach Bartow and the things that he's able to do on and off the court" in the fall.
12-26-2012 01:01 PM
Goldfinger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Restoration
Mullins goes first!
12-26-2012 01:44 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Either Mullins goes, period, or ETSU athletics continues the decline.
12-26-2012 03:26 PM
BartowZone Offline
2nd String

FIRE DAVE!! 04-cheers
12-26-2012 03:43 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Mullins first. Totally agree that athletics will not advance until he leaves.
12-26-2012 03:48 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

Pitt, come on. Athletic Directors so often give a "vote of confidence" to a coach saying something similar to "I am confident in_______", then firing them the next week, that its lost all of its credibility. And giving a compliment before making a harsh and/or negative comment is a very commonly used speaking technique- you know this. The President cant come out the day after the drug arrests and say "Bartow is an idiot", you also know that. Or maybe you dont, based on the stupid techniques that you want the media to use on our athletics staff- which would only hurt access and coverage of ETSU athletics.

Yes I am with everyone else that Mullins must go first, or at least must go before we start a search for a permanent new coach. But to say that Nolands comments were a positive for Bartow is simply misleading. The fact that the President even mentioned that, instead of the AD being the one talking, is a bad thing for Bartow
12-26-2012 07:25 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

ETSU, come on. Noland's comments are beyond a "vote of confidence." He's saying he's the future, that he's "great," that he has confidence in the future with Bartow at the helm.

He's saying Bartow's his guy.

What do you say the week after the drug arrests (not the day of) if you are displeased with the coach or you hold him responsible for recruiting thugs?

You don't say anything. Or you say "an evaluation will be done at the end of the season," thus putting Bartow on the hot seat to improve his act.

Another thing. Giving a coach even a mild "vote of confidence" and then firing him within a short period of time is completely unethical. Personally, I have more confidence in most human beings, Brian Noland or otherwise, not to do that.

You want to sweep Noland's comments under the rug because you don't want to believe them, I want to believe a man at his word. Let's face it, Bartow has been internally popular enough that he has the longest tenure of any ETSU men's basketball coach since Madison Brooks retired despite the gaffes I listed above, and for that matter having a complete collapse under his helm after DeChellis' seniors left. It could be argued the only thing that has enabled Bartow to have the success he has is the move to the A-Sun, but he's kept his job for, I believe, the second longest period of time any men's basketball coach at ETSU ever has.

Again, I'm not giving Bartow a vote of confidence, Noland is.

But not all is lost. Perhaps we can take solace that I have yet to read a quote as to what a great job David Mullins has done from Noland. That's big.

Finally, what do you mean the "stupid techniques" I want the media to use on our athletics staff?

Pray tell, what are they?

This should be good.
12-26-2012 08:05 PM
Advertisement

GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Honestly, I don't think Pitt is reading enough into what he said. What Noland said was "Individuals will be held accountable." He also said it was an embarrassing moment for the university and he did not 'want to be in this position again.' He gave Bartow a vote of confidence, for now, is the way I read that; however, 'the individuals will be held accountable' statement does not give Bartow a vote of confidence at all, nor does it give Mullins a vote of confidence. After all, they were Bartow's layers, under his tutelage, so to speak. I did not read into that that Bartow is his guy. Also, we had already seen Cooley on the blotter before, yet, he was still on the team. How about before the tie-up? Hubbard got in the paper. So did Seth Coy. Has anyone else on any other athletic team here @ ETSU been in legal trouble in the past 10 years? I can't remember one. So men's basketball, relative to the rest of the athletic program, doesn't look very good right now.

And he other thing is, maybe Noland wants somebody different in that position. Ever think of that?

Bartow? Internally popular? I haven't heard that at all. I've heard a lot of people actually don't like Murry.

However, I do see that if Noland fires Bartow, you will scream "Noland didn't keep his word!" If Noland doesn't fire Bartow, you will say "How can he not fire this guy?" It's classic 'damned if you, damned if you don't' mentality that really undermines your statements on here. That's too bad, because there's some interesting issues you bring up that could be pursued.
12-26-2012 08:41 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Individuals were held accountable.

They kicked Cooley and Dubose off the team.

I think you're ignoring glowing praise for what you want to believe; that a coach you don't like will be fired soon.

I don't think if Noland wanted somebody different in the position he would have said "the future is we have a great basketball coach."

You don't stay on the job for 10 years if you're unpopular internally.

If Noland fires Bartow in the near future, he will not have kept his word.

And in reference to your "damned if you do, damned if you don't," please show me where I say Bartow should be fired.

The whole point of this thread is "get rid of Mullins."

Please, learn to read and stop making false accusations. This is the second one made about me on this very thread.

There are people who hate Bartow so much you don't want to believe Noland at his word. We get it.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2012 10:10 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
12-26-2012 10:09 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
You are assuming the 'individuals' Noland mentioned was Cooley & Dubose. I am not making that assumption. Simple as that.

I don't hate Bartow. I've actually defended him for years on here. I'm sure you will ignore that in your response and once again say I hate him. I'm not even convinced he should go, however, with everything that's happened off the court, I think his job could easily be called into question.

The point of the thread is not 'get rid of Mullins?' The title is 'To all the Bartow bashers.' I think you authored it. You really should pay more attention.

I don't think you understand 'damned if you, damned if you don't.' You didn't say Bartow should be fired, but if he is, I predict you'll scream "Noland went back on his word!" And technically, which is what you don't understand, he wouldn't. If he doesn't fire him, I predict you will think he should have fired him, and since he didn't, ETSU is in the crapper, blah blah blah. Same ol' sh*t different day. Simple as that.
12-26-2012 11:07 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

Do not take the bait.
12-26-2012 11:36 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

And you're assuming "individuals will be held responsible" means Bartow, which I don't quite get. He wasn't the one dealing drugs.

I love it when drug dealers go to jail. But I'm not in favor of imprisoning their parents as well.

My thing is this, and I've always said this. I don't think any coach should lose his job at ETSU for as long as David Mullins is the AD.

Go read the records. That's always been my stance.

So where you're getting I'll say Bartow should be fired, I don't know. What you are saying is simply not true.
12-27-2012 10:42 AM
Advertisement

seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
was listening to Bobby and Bud on 640 XSM this morning and happened to hear an intelligent sounding female caller state that she thought it was time for a coaching change (Bartow). She also stated that she and her husband were long time season tickets holders but they had about quit going to any games and felt they wouldn't be going to any this year.
12-27-2012 12:24 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Where was Bucfaithful to call up and give them a long lecture about loyalty?

Personally, I think that to not abandon ETSU when they drop in conference, drop football, go from being a program that at their zenith are picked by SI to go to the Sweet 16 and now at their zenity are routed by 30 by Kentucky, and all the other stuff that has gone on the past 10 years, but to abandon ETSU because they are going to have a poor season and you decided after 10 years, and only after 10, that the coach doesn't have it, is the epitome of fair weatheredness.
12-27-2012 04:29 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

When evaluating coaches the first thing ADs look at is the won-loss record and then next is trends. Then you look at expectations, resources, conference comparisons, how much budget do they have to work with? Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Fair weatheredness has nothing to do with it. You also ask can we do better? Is the program in need of change? Has the coach given us all he has? Not my decision... I have no influence... If you ask if I want change? I will tell you a long time ago. The profanity tirades were enough for me. You say all coaches use profanity and abuse players. I would write into their contract a behavior clause. I don't think Bartow is a good role model. I don't like the way he treats players. I don't like the way he treats fans. I don't like the way he decides not to do the post game radio interview. If that is fair weather...include me. I think ETSU can do better. There are coaches that know how to motivate and behave. I like that guy that said, "goodness, gracious, sakes alive" when he was upset. Those words got his point across...As I recall he had some success....I think at one time his team won 88 straight games playing major college basketball...I think Murry's Dad used to coach for him.
12-27-2012 07:01 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Okay, that post made a lot of sense.

I will go so far as to say I do not think Murry Bartow should lose his job at this time and Brian Noland agrees with me.

I will also add, sadly, if John Wooden was coaching today, he'd be laughed at as a culturally out-of-touch old man by his potential recruits. That's just what basketball has "evolved" into in 2012.

Remember Mister- MULLINS FIRST!
12-27-2012 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.