Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
EXCLUSIVE: Sneak peek at UC's plans for Nippert revamp
EXCLUSIVE: Sneak peek at UC's plans for Nippert revamp
7:09 AM, Dec 18, 2012

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20121218&...ert-revamp]
A skydiver parachute lands at Nippert Stadium with the UC flag before the Bearcats' Sept. 15 game against Delaware State. / The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II

Written by
Cliff Peale

A renovation of Nippert Stadium could add as many as 28 elevated private suites and 41 loge boxes for up to $70 million, University of Cincinnati leaders are expected to announce today.

The addition of a pavilion on the western side of the on-campus stadium would create about 1,800 seats that UC hopes would create millions of dollars in new revenue.

The remainder of the cost could come from private donations and naming rights to the new pavilion, University Architect Beth McGrew said.

McGrew commissioned the market study and drew up the plans several years ago. But the Nippert renovation has become an urgent priority now as UC seeks a new conference home with the Atlantic Coast Conference and welcomes new football coach Tommy Tuberville.

While UC President Santa Ono has said he didn’t promise the renovation to either Tuberville or the ACC, he made it clear that raising private money for the football stadium is a top priority.

UC also wants to renovate Fifth Third Arena at a cost of more than $100 million, and build a new law school that could cost about $60 million.

At Nippert, some of the new premium seats at would replace existing seats, so the project won’t add much to the current capacity of about 35,000. UC also hopes to improve the concourse with new restrooms and concessions, replacing the antiquated infrastructure that Nippert holds now.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121...eakingnews

12-18-2012 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: EXCLUSIVE: Sneak peek at UC's plans for Nippert revamp
(12-18-2012 07:47 AM)ctipton Wrote:  EXCLUSIVE: Sneak peek at UC's plans for Nippert revamp
7:09 AM, Dec 18, 2012

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20121218&...ert-revamp]
A skydiver parachute lands at Nippert Stadium with the UC flag before the Bearcats' Sept. 15 game against Delaware State. / The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II

Written by
Cliff Peale

A renovation of Nippert Stadium could add as many as 28 elevated private suites and 41 loge boxes for up to $70 million, University of Cincinnati leaders are expected to announce today.

The addition of a pavilion on the western side of the on-campus stadium would create about 1,800 seats that UC hopes would create millions of dollars in new revenue.

The remainder of the cost could come from private donations and naming rights to the new pavilion, University Architect Beth McGrew said.

McGrew commissioned the market study and drew up the plans several years ago. But the Nippert renovation has become an urgent priority now as UC seeks a new conference home with the Atlantic Coast Conference and welcomes new football coach Tommy Tuberville.

While UC President Santa Ono has said he didn’t promise the renovation to either Tuberville or the ACC, he made it clear that raising private money for the football stadium is a top priority.

UC also wants to renovate Fifth Third Arena at a cost of more than $100 million, and build a new law school that could cost about $60 million.

At Nippert, some of the new premium seats at would replace existing seats, so the project won’t add much to the current capacity of about 35,000. UC also hopes to improve the concourse with new restrooms and concessions, replacing the antiquated infrastructure that Nippert holds now.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121...eakingnews

Wait... what?? I could have sworn increasing the capacity of Nippert was the top priority... what's the point of adding only a couple thousand extra seats?

Granted, the addition of private boxes and boxes is badly needed, but why not add 10,000+ seats?

12-18-2012 08:41 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(12-18-2012 08:41 AM)pat5775 Wrote:  Wait... what?? I could have sworn increasing the capacity of Nippert was the top priority... what's the point of adding only a couple thousand extra seats?

Granted, the addition of private boxes and boxes is badly needed, but why not add 10,000+ seats?

Luxury boxes are actually probably the financial priority here. You have to have them, they bring in much bigger dollars and are sold the companies so they're not going to be like extra regular seats which may or may not sell.

12-18-2012 08:43 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(12-18-2012 08:41 AM)pat5775 Wrote:  Wait... what?? I could have sworn increasing the capacity of Nippert was the top priority... what's the point of adding only a couple thousand extra seats?

Then you thought wrong. Adding to the capacity has never been the priority.

The reason you don't add 10k seats is that it doesn't generate enough money to justify the cost.

12-18-2012 08:45 AM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-18-2012 08:43 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  

Luxury boxes are actually probably the financial priority here. You have to have them, they bring in much bigger dollars and are sold the companies so they're not going to be like extra regular seats which may or may not sell.

Great point. I guess they gotta take one step at a time. Much needed luxury boxes first, increase capacity later.

I can be patient.

12-18-2012 08:45 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(12-18-2012 08:45 AM)pat5775 Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 08:43 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  

Great point. I guess they gotta take one step at a time. Much needed luxury boxes first, increase capacity later.

I can be patient.

Hmmm....is this a chicken/egg scenario? What company is going to want to spend big money for a box in a mid-level league? Or do we need to get into the big league first before we can build this thing?

I'm just wondering how fund raising will go for this.

12-18-2012 08:51 AM
Advertisement

ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

I Root For: The Bearcats
[Image: wmk4r.jpg]

it looks pretty cool.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 08:59 AM by ThinkBigPine.)
12-18-2012 08:58 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I like how the article specifically mentions the ACC. That is obviously UC's goal here and not the nBE or even the B12.

12-18-2012 09:00 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
[Image: wmk4r.jpg]

Obviously, if all they are doing is adding luxury boxes, it won't look like this.

12-18-2012 09:01 AM
bearcats23 Offline
All American

I Root For: bearcats23
The article mentioned that they are adding a pavilion to the west side as well.

12-18-2012 09:07 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

This isn't the 1980s or 1990's where bigger is better. Most newer stadiums focus on fan comfort and other luxury items to drive revenue. My guess is that UC would rather sell luxury boxes and create a high demand for their tickets than add 10,000 seats that will never be filled more than a few times each season.

I am very happy to hear that a basketball arena and a law school are the priority list for the University of Cincinnati. Any recent law grad knows that a law building should have been built already. A social science building should be on the agenda too.

12-18-2012 10:05 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-18-2012 10:05 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  This isn't the 1980s or 1990's where bigger is better. Most newer stadiums focus on fan comfort and other luxury items to drive revenue. My guess is that UC would rather sell luxury boxes and create a high demand for their tickets than add 10,000 seats that will never be filled more than a few times each season.

I am very happy to hear that a basketball arena and a law school are the priority list for the University of Cincinnati. Any recent law grad knows that a law building should have been built already. A social science building should be on the agenda too.

The law school is another can of worms all together. The concept is going to very controversial.

12-18-2012 10:07 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
The basic premise is that you shouldn't add seats unless there is demand to do so, which there isn't. Had Nippert been sold out for consecutive season then it would have warranted adding 5k - 10k new seats. What there is demand for is premium seating and luxury boxes for top-tier donors and those who don't necessarily want to sit in bleachers/chair backs and would rather have private accommodations. This renovation fits their needs to a tee.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 10:09 AM by cinbinsportsfan.)
12-18-2012 10:08 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-18-2012 10:07 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 10:05 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  This isn't the 1980s or 1990's where bigger is better. Most newer stadiums focus on fan comfort and other luxury items to drive revenue. My guess is that UC would rather sell luxury boxes and create a high demand for their tickets than add 10,000 seats that will never be filled more than a few times each season.

The law school is another can of worms all together. The concept is going to very controversial.

I'm hearing the downtown angle is gaining steam with the need now for.more undergraduate classrooms on campus.

12-18-2012 10:16 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(12-18-2012 10:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 10:07 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

I'm hearing the downtown angle is gaining steam with the need now for.more undergraduate classrooms on campus.

Moving the law school downtown would hurt their joint degree programs but it could increase the college's professional practice side. That is the law school you are talking about and not the basketball arena, I hope. I know moving downtown for basketball wouldn't be too popular on this forum.

If they move the law school downtown the current site needs to become the new social science building. They could remodel the law building and move mock trial, political science, pre-law advising, and few other departments in there and call it day.

I am excited to hear about the football plans. Regardless of conference, UC needs to be a leader and not an observer. Louisville and Xavier became proactive and were rewarded, hopefully Cincinnati is next.

12-18-2012 10:28 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-18-2012 10:08 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  The basic premise is that you shouldn't add seats unless there is demand to do so, which there isn't. Had Nippert been sold out for consecutive season then it would have warranted adding 5k - 10k new seats. What there is demand for is premium seating and luxury boxes for top-tier donors and those who don't necessarily want to sit in bleachers/chair backs and would rather have private accommodations. This renovation fits their needs to a tee.

I recall Whit saying in the past that he wasn't going to add seats just for the sake of putting a big number in a brochure, he wanted to make the stadium functionally better. It looks like that is what is gonna happen.
I do hope the current plans on the drawing board will have some preplanned flexibility if we hopefully need to add more capacity in the future.

12-18-2012 11:05 AM
Advertisement

kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I am sorry if luxury boxes are all they are adding it is not enough.

The stadium needs to seat at least 45,000 to give UC creditability in major college football. In fact 50,000 is really what shoud be the goal.

12-18-2012 11:07 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Anyone who thinks getting to 45k or 50k is a possibility is delusional. The cost to get seating to that number is going to be far too high and have very little return.

12-18-2012 11:09 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-18-2012 11:07 AM)kyucat Wrote:  I am sorry if luxury boxes are all they are adding it is not enough.

The stadium needs to seat at least 45,000 to give UC creditability in major college football. In fact 50,000 is really what shoud be the goal.

we also need world peace, and cures for all forms of cancer, aids and numerous other terminal diseases. WHERE IS WHIT AND ONO!!! #sarcasm

12-18-2012 11:10 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Wake Forest's stadium seats 31,500, Washington State 32,248 - Duke 33,941

They have credibility (for some reason), or at least are in leagues that have credibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCA...l_stadiums

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 11:13 AM by bearcatfan.)
12-18-2012 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.