Marshall picks up big time WR commit in Angelo Jean-Louis
Bookmark and Share
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
Exclamation Marshall picks up big time WR commit in Angelo Jean-Louis
12-18-2012 03:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Marshall picks up big time WR commit in Angelo Jean-Louis
Dayum
12-18-2012 03:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lmckay92 Offline
Straight cash, homie.

Can't wait to hear people around here pronounce his name 03-razz
12-18-2012 03:28 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
The article said he did not have the grades for Miami. What will his status at Marshall be? Seems like Marshall ends up with some players that are nq at other schools. What admissions process does Marshall have that is different then other schools. This is a legit question.
12-18-2012 08:24 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Based on my experience, Marshall requires a 21 on the ACT in all core subjects. That may have changed but I think not.
12-18-2012 08:40 AM
77Herd11 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
Great add!!! I wonder if The Herd likely palying in South Florida every year helped land this guy? Article states that WVU was his second choice... they are no longer in a conference with FL schools? (I know + academics maybe).
12-18-2012 08:47 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-18-2012 08:40 AM)SVHerd Wrote:  Based on my experience, Marshall requires a 21 on the ACT in all core subjects. That may have changed but I think not.

To add to this - Marshall's HELP program is nationally recognized and awarded as a model for student academic assistance in tutoring, mentoring and even assisting those students who have learning disabilities.
The Black Coaches Association gave MU its highest honor a few years ago as a model institution in providing athletes the support they need in order to complete their classwork towards obtaining their degrees.
12-18-2012 09:05 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(12-18-2012 08:24 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  The article said he did not have the grades for Miami. What will his status at Marshall be? Seems like Marshall ends up with some players that are nq at other schools. What admissions process does Marshall have that is different then other schools. This is a legit question.

Miami has over the past few years raised the admissions standards of their athletes to that of their regular students. Because of that, he can meet NCAA standards but still be denied admissions at Miami.

Our CB AJ Leggett was is a similar situation. He was eligible to play, he just couldn't get into Miami.
12-18-2012 09:50 AM
MU42 Offline
1st String

I bet he is a prop. He'll set out next season I'm sure of it.
12-18-2012 10:15 AM
bignow Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-18-2012 10:15 AM)MU42 Wrote:  I bet he is a prop. He'll set out next season I'm sure of it.

Is Marshall the only CUSA left that will accept partial and non-qualifiers?
12-18-2012 10:28 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(12-18-2012 10:28 AM)bignow Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 10:15 AM)MU42 Wrote:  I bet he is a prop. He'll set out next season I'm sure of it.

ECU has increasingly had a hard time getting nq's qualified. The nq route was an important one for our football team. I believe that the North Carolina University system changed the nq policy, making it more difficult for these kids to qualify as well as making it more difficult for JUCO players to as well. ECU has lost several JUCO players in the last few years because of this.

Marshall should hold on to helping nq's get into school as long as possible. Sounds like you guys have a really good system for helping them and keeping them.
12-18-2012 10:58 AM
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd

There is this big misconception that Marshall is the only school that can accept partial/non qualifiers and that CUSA is the only conference that will allow it. Any school whether it be in CUSA, The Big East, Big 12, Pac 12 etc. can accept partial qualifiers if the school allows. Here are some examples:

Washington State of the Pac 12:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/au...qualifier/

Basketball: Prized freshman basketball player Demarquise “Que” Johnson has been ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, and will not be eligible to play for Washington State this season.

Johnson, a highly-routed recruit from Westwind Prep in Phoenix, will receive athletics financial aid and will take classes at WSU during the 2012-13 academic year but will not be allowed to play or practice with the team.

A WSU spokesperson said Johnson must meet the standard eligibility requirements that apply to all players to be cleared for action in 2013-14. He still counts as a scholarship player on the Cougars’ roster.

Kansas of the Big 12:

http://www.ksn.com/content/sports/ku/sto...KLijQ.cspx

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas men’s basketball coach Bill Self announced that freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor have been declared by the NCAA as partial qualifiers and will not be eligible for competition for the 2011-12 season. In this, McLemore and Traylor will not participate in practice or competition for the fall semester, including tonight’s Late Night in the Phog. Both will be able to practice with the Jayhawks at the conclusion of the fall semester and will be eligible for competition for the 2012-13 season.

Big East...Providence:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ifier-ncaa

Providence Friars freshman Ricky Ledo was ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, allowing him to practice but not play this season, the school announced Wednesday.

The 6-foot-6 Ledo, who is from Providence and last went to South Kent (Conn.) School, would be eligible for the 2013-14 season as a redshirt freshman if he meets academic requirements. He would have four years of eligibility remaining.

The news was well received by coach Ed Cooley, who had been worried the highly touted Ledo would be ruled ineligible to even practice due to an academic past that included attending four different high schools in five years.

The above scenario is almost exactly what happened with our projected starting point guard this year "Kareem Canty"

ECU of CUSA:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-for-ecu/

Linebacker Alfy Hill was a full participant during the first two weeks of summer camp this year, but left Alabama earlier in the week due to NCAA Clearinghouse issues.

Now, the true freshman defensive end appears to have already found a new home.

According to multiple reports, Hill is likely headed to East Carolina and will ultimately play for the Pirates. Hill has appealed the Clearinghouse’s decision to deny some of the coursework he took during high school, but Alabama decided not to wait on the results of the appeal and gave a roster spot — and scholarship — to tight end Harrison Jones.

Because of the Clearinghouse issue, Hill will have to get his academic house in order before playing for the Pirates in 2011.

“He will go to East Carolina as a non-qualifier,” Hill’s high school coach, John Surigao, said. “That means he has to go to East Carolina for a full year and not be related in any way to the football program, earn his academic status and then at the end of the year he will get a scholarship. He does have to pay for his first year.”

12-18-2012 11:00 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
(12-18-2012 10:58 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

ECU has increasingly had a hard time getting nq's qualified. The nq route was an important one for our football team. I believe that the North Carolina University system changed the nq policy, making it more difficult for these kids to qualify as well as making it more difficult for JUCO players to as well. ECU has lost several JUCO players in the last few years because of this.

Marshall should hold on to helping nq's get into school as long as possible. Sounds like you guys have a really good system for helping them and keeping them.

Its no different here. The majority of these kids don't make it. In the case of the kid that we we are talking about, he supposedly missed his act score for Miami by only 1 point. Our minimum ACT score is a a few points lower than Miami's so he'll likely qualify here but will probably have to retake the exam. Until he retakes his exam, nobody really knows.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 11:07 AM by MUHERD76.)
12-18-2012 11:06 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

Missing the ACT by one point should not make him an NQ for you guys. THis looks like a great pick up. I think with the tools Marshall has on Off, coupled by an improved def, should make you a favorite to win Conf USA next year. I know that we escaped our last game with Marshall by the skin of our teeth. Hate what college sports has become in terms of alignment. I really think programs like Marshall and ECU as well as Southern Miss would be great fits for many many kids. We just have a hard time landing really talented kids because of the system we all have to live with. IN a perfect world, our programs would thrive Angelo's of the world. Anyway, congrats on a great pick up.
12-18-2012 11:29 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Marshall requires a core score of 21 on the ACT. I think Miami requires a 25. And can deny any one admission that they want since they are a private school. Before 2005 Miami only required a 21 for student athletes.

Miami hired a new president in late 2004 that raised the requirements of Miami student athletes. They no longer get the Frank Gore, Willis McGahee or Ray Lewis's of south Florida, like they used to. Thats how they used to go 9-2, 10-1 year in and year out. They have had one 9 win season since they have moved to the ACC, the best record after that has been 7-6. And you will see fans in south Florida complain about it all the time.

Marshall's HELP program (Higher Education (for) Learning Problems) helps out a lot. The HELP program is for everyone at the university if they need it. And Marshall is refered to a lot of students around the country that could not do it on their own.

Marshall has taken Miami's #1 target the last 3 years in Kevin Grooms, AJ Leggett and Angelo Jean Louis. Although Leggett was fully qualifed last year and was only red shirted after a leg injry on the 2nd to last day of fall practice.

AJL is set to take the ACT one more time and could be eligible when spring or fall practice starts.

HELP Program Website
12-18-2012 12:14 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Good get. Whatever your academic standards are, hope he qualifies. Looks like an impact player. Marshall needs to be a top-tier program in the new CUSA
12-18-2012 12:17 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2012 11:06 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Its no different here. The majority of these kids don't make it.

Marshall in the last few years have been taking better calculated risks with NQers. I think only 3 of DOCs NQ recruits haven't made it. I still love Bob Pruett but in his last 2 classes he had 21 NQers that didn't make the grade. I hope we never go though that again.

Also Marshall has had some great kids that were NQers: Mike Bartrum, Vinny Curry, Chris Royal, Steward Butler, Kevin Grooms, Remi Watson are just a few.
12-18-2012 12:44 PM
moss2k Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Great land for the Herd if he can get things together and get on the field.
12-18-2012 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(12-18-2012 12:44 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 11:06 AM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Its no different here. The majority of these kids don't make it.

Marshall in the last few years have been taking better calculated risks with NQers. I think only 3 of DOCs NQ recruits haven't made it. I still love Bob Pruett but in his last 2 classes he had 21 NQers that didn't make the grade. I hope we never go though that again.

Also Marshall has had some great kids that were NQers: Mike Bartrum, Vinny Curry, Chris Royal, Steward Butler, Kevin Grooms, Remi Watson are just a few.

I don't think Watson was a NQ
12-18-2012 01:21 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2012 01:21 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(12-18-2012 12:44 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

I don't think Watson was a NQ

All 3 were were along with Robert Way, Deon Medows and Craig Wikins. Robert Way is the only one that didn't make it, and left.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 03:20 PM by HerdZoned.)
12-18-2012 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.