Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tired
Bookmark and Share
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Tired
A quick read of this board and some Twitter feeds gives me the impression that most are giving Pastner and the team a pass and putting this on the refs.

Against VCU it was the press. Against Minnesota it was guarding the three and Hollins getting hot. Today it's the refs. Bottom line: Memphis loses to another ranked, well-coached team. No one outside of Memphis will remember a thing about this game except that Louisville won.

I think the officiating was poor, but I'm not in the crowd that thinks it cost us the game. The Tigers always seem to get into foul trouble under Pastner when playing talented teams. We reach a LOT on defense when we play better players.

We jumped out to a big lead. Then what happened? Pitino adjusted and went to a press. It didn't rattle us quite the way it did against VCU, but it definitely hindered our offense. We had a three or four minute scoring drought late in the second half. IMO, that's when we lost it.

Turnovers were another issue. Once gain, turnovers have been a problem all year long. That's not the refs. That's guys like Chris and Joe and our bigs who can't hold on to the ball, especially against better players.

I'm tired of the excuses. I'm tired of conspiracy theories. All I know is that the nation perceives us more and more as a mid-major with every big game we continue to lose. On this board, we go on and on about the refs. In Louisville and elsewhere, they just think Memphis is a mental melt down, overrated, AAU type team.

Only way we correct that is to WIN A BIG GAME! We'll probably do well enough in C-USA. We'll make the tournament. Hopefully we get a decent match-up.

But if Butler can beat UNC and Indiana and VCU can go to the FF and embarrass us, why can't we rise to the occasion and beat a team even if they have better players overall?
12-15-2012 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

RE: Tired
FYI - I defended Pastner for a long time. But the more I see coaches like Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart do more with less, the more I ask myself why Pastner can't win at least one big game in four years, even if our team isn't quite as good as some want to believe.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 10:19 PM by TiminMem23.)
12-15-2012 10:19 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
I never say its the refs.

Never.
Never ever.

This? This was the refs.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 10:20 PM by Sundanceuiuc.)
12-15-2012 10:20 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
You are about to get roasted. How dare you?
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-15-2012 10:20 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I never say its the refs.

Never.
Never ever.

This? This was the refs?

Yes, and whomever can't see it needs glasses.
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Makes sense to me.
12-15-2012 10:22 PM
Advertisement

Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

We had a lot more turnovers, but steals were even. How then?

Offensive fouled and si getting low bridged count as tos. Add those, the numbers make more sense.
12-15-2012 10:22 PM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Explain how the team that won the rebounding and points in the paint battle shot TWENTY SIX fewer free throws than their opponent. Anyone who watched that game knows how bad the refs screwed us.

Anyone who blames this loss on Pastner is wrong. Period. The refs SCREWED MEMPHIS.
12-15-2012 10:24 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(12-15-2012 10:17 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  A quick read of this board and some Twitter feeds gives me the impression that most are giving Pastner and the team a pass and putting this on the refs.

Against VCU it was the press. Against Minnesota it was guarding the three and Hollins getting hot. Today it's the refs. Bottom line: Memphis loses to another ranked, well-coached team. No one outside of Memphis will remember a thing about this game except that Louisville won.

I think the officiating was poor, but I'm not in the crowd that thinks it cost us the game. The Tigers always seem to get into foul trouble under Pastner when playing talented teams. We reach a LOT on defense when we play better players.

We jumped out to a big lead. Then what happened? Pitino adjusted and went to a press. It didn't rattle us quite the way it did against VCU, but it definitely hindered our offense. We had a three or four minute scoring drought late in the second half. IMO, that's when we lost it.

Turnovers were another issue. Once gain, turnovers have been a problem all year long. That's not the refs. That's guys like Chris and Joe and our bigs who can't hold on to the ball, especially against better players.

I'm tired of the excuses. I'm tired of conspiracy theories. All I know is that the nation perceives us more and more as a mid-major with every big game we continue to lose. On this board, we go on and on about the refs. In Louisville and elsewhere, they just think Memphis is a mental melt down, overrated, AAU type team.

Only way we correct that is to WIN A BIG GAME! We'll probably do well enough in C-USA. We'll make the tournament. Hopefully we get a decent match-up.

But if Butler can beat UNC and Indiana and VCU can go to the FF and embarrass us, why can't we rise to the occasion and beat a team even if they have better players overall?

We need to quit recruiting guys on someone else's potential chart and start recruiting kids who come from programs where they are taught impeccable fundamentals.

It's not about rim rattling dunks and alley oops, it's about free throws and defense.

See Butler.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 10:27 PM by Tiger46.)
12-15-2012 10:25 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2012 10:22 PM)TG4 Wrote:  Makes sense to me.

Kick Pastner for vcu, i'll help.

This wasn't on him. I watch a lot of hoops. Never seen a game like this. Never.
12-15-2012 10:26 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(12-15-2012 10:24 PM)transitt Wrote:  Explain how the team that won the rebounding and points in the paint battle shot TWENTY SIX fewer free throws than their opponent. Anyone who watched that game knows how bad the refs screwed us.

Anyone who blames this loss on Pastner is wrong. Period. The refs SCREWED MEMPHIS.

He's 0-11 against Top 25 teams and 0-2 in the NCAA tournament.

But I guess everyone wants to pretend this one never happened since it's the refs fault.
12-15-2012 10:27 PM
Advertisement

Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2012 10:24 PM)transitt Wrote:  Explain how the team that won the rebounding and points in the paint battle shot TWENTY SIX fewer free throws than their opponent. Anyone who watched that game knows how bad the refs screwed us.

Even Louisville knows the refs screwed us.
12-15-2012 10:27 PM
83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
(12-15-2012 10:26 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  
(12-15-2012 10:22 PM)TG4 Wrote:  Makes sense to me.

Kick Pastner for vcu, i'll help.

This wasn't on him. I watch a lot of hoops. Never seen a game like this. Never.

This. this. and this.
12-15-2012 10:28 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

Refs refs refs. That's all I keep hearing.

All I know is that once again we lose to a Top 25 team. Again.

Maybe if we had beaten one in the last four years, I'd be more inclined to give Pastner a break today. But I'm less inclined to let a guy off the hook who continues to lose significant games.
12-15-2012 10:29 PM
transitt Offline

(12-15-2012 10:27 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  

But I guess everyone wants to pretend this one never happened since it's the refs fault.

My God....let me guess...long time Memphis fan, since...2006?
Clearly, Pastner should have never let those refs make those calls. He obviously should have given them the list of calls which needed to be made before the game.

Pastner is the worst coach in history......a quarter way into his forth season he should be WAY better than Pitino, Izzo, Boeheim, and Coach K.

I've had it. The dumbest thing Josh has said is that Memphis fans are some of the smartest in the country.
12-15-2012 10:33 PM
transitt Offline

(12-15-2012 10:29 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  Refs refs refs. That's all I keep hearing.

Maybe if we had beaten one in the last four years, I'd be more inclined to give Pastner a break today. But I'm less inclined to let a guy off the hook who continues to lose significant games.

You hear refs refs refs and you don't get the idea that MAYBE the outcome of the game was determined by refs?! Did you even watch the game?
12-15-2012 10:35 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(12-15-2012 10:33 PM)transitt Wrote:  

Clearly, Pastner should have never let those refs make those calls. He obviously should have given them the list of calls which needed to be made before the game.

Pastner is the worst coach in history......a quarter way into his forth season he should be WAY better than Pitino, Izzo, Boeheim, and Coach K.

I've had it. The dumbest thing Josh has said is that Memphis fans are some of the smartest in the country.

I agree with you on that. The ones that pin this 100% on the refs are the ones that make that statement true. The refs jobbed us but we could have helped our cause with some smarter plays.
12-15-2012 10:38 PM
transitt Offline

(12-15-2012 10:38 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(12-15-2012 10:33 PM)transitt Wrote:  

I agree with you on that. The ones that pin this 100% on the refs are the ones that make that statement true. The refs jobbed us but we could have helped our cause with some smarter plays.

No one is saying Memphis played a perfect game. NO ONE. However, look at the stats. We beat Louisville in pretty much every stat but free throws and turnovers. There was a TWENTY SIX free throw disparity. TWENTY SIX. Yes, there were also 24 turnovers. How many fewer turnovers would there have been if not for phantom calls and no calls? Last I checked, when DJ is in the air and gets his legs cut out from under him, it's supposed to be a foul, not a turnover. When a Louisville defender isn't set and doesn't have position, it's supposed to be a foul, not a turnover. How many times did Memphis suddenly get 2-3 fouls in a row bringing to a halt a Memphis run? It happened more than once in each half.

Now y'all think Josh is supposed to be a hall of famer coaching a top 10 team AND the refs?
Seriously....
12-15-2012 10:45 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(12-15-2012 10:35 PM)transitt Wrote:  
(12-15-2012 10:29 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  Refs refs refs. That's all I keep hearing.

You hear refs refs refs and you don't get the idea that MAYBE the outcome of the game was determined by refs?! Did you even watch the game?

You're right. The rest of the country has no idea what they're talking about. We are Memphis. Best in the land. Final Four here we come! Feels good to be 7-2 after a big win over L'ville today. Pastner is so smart. We just have dumb fans! Only dummies would expect a guy who makes $2 mill to beat a Top 25 team once in four years. But wait, we did beat one today.

Did I watch the game? I thought I did, but maybe not because everyone on this board says we won. I saw a score that showed us finishing with nine less points than the other team (which is what everyone outside of Memphis understands).

But you're right, the refs blew this. We need to send a memo out to ESPN letting them know we really won today. Have them change their stories. Have the NCAA change the W/L column to give Pastner his win. He deserves it.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 10:52 PM by TiminMem23.)
12-15-2012 10:50 PM
transitt Offline

(12-15-2012 10:50 PM)TiminMem23 Wrote:  
(12-15-2012 10:35 PM)transitt Wrote:  

You're right. The rest of the country has no idea what they're talking about. We are Memphis. Best in the land. Final Four here we come! Feels good to be 7-2 after a big win over L'ville today. Pastner is so smart. We just have dumb fans! Only dummies would expect a guy who makes $2 mill to beat a Top 25 team in four years. But way, we did beat one today.

Did I watch the game? I thought I did, but maybe not because everyone on this board says we won. I saw a score that showed us finishing with nine less points than the other team (which is what everyone outside of Memphis understands).

But you're right, the refs blew this. We need to send a memo out to ESPN letting them know we really won today. Have them change their stories. Have the NCAA change the W/L column to give Pastner his win. He deserves it.

Wow....even the commentators were talking about it. Journalists were talking about it. The rest of the country DOES know....what don't you get?
12-15-2012 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.