Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BE Presidents "Let's add Tulane they bring the NOLA market"
Bookmark and Share
Soaring Eagle Offline
Veni, vidi, vici

I Root For: Southern Miss
CrappiesCrappies
BE Presidents "Let's add Tulane they bring the NOLA market"
They all vote to add and then they go to the networks and find there is no money for adding Tulane.

Then the C7 schools start looking at Tulane Basketball and boom goes the dynamite.

The Marq. AD said there was no diligence done on the Tulane add.

Quote:Williams acknowledged he was "not pleased" specifically about adding Tulane.

"I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things," Williams told 540 ESPN Milwaukee. "I was disappointed that I wasn't able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that."
12-13-2012 01:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: BE Presidents "Let's add Tulane they bring the NOLA market"
(12-13-2012 01:10 AM)Soaring Eagle Wrote:  They all vote to add and then they go to the networks and find there is no money for adding Tulane.

Then the C7 schools start looking at Tulane Basketball and boom goes the dynamite.

Quote:Williams acknowledged he was "not pleased" specifically about adding Tulane.

"I was not pleased that we issued an invitation to Tulane without any diligence to what effect that would have on our basketball product, the draw on our RPI and other such things," Williams told 540 ESPN Milwaukee. "I was disappointed that I wasn't able to participate as a member of the conference in the deliberation that went into adding that."

They voted to invite Tulane. Marquette along with Tulane was a founding member of CUSA, and played in CUSA with Tulane for ten years. They knew about Tulane basketball, and I don't think for a minute this guy didn't know about its drawing power or lack thereof on TV. Something's not right with this picture.
12-13-2012 01:29 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(12-13-2012 01:29 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 01:10 AM)Soaring Eagle Wrote:  They all vote to add and then they go to the networks and find there is no money for adding Tulane.

They voted to invite Tulane. Marquette along with Tulane was a founding member of CUSA, and played in CUSA with Tulane for ten years. They knew about Tulane basketball, and I don't think for a minute this guy didn't know about its drawing power or lack thereof on TV. Something's not right with this picture.

Dysfunctional thinking at its finest. I almost wonder if it was done out of spite. I mean, your not going to tell me that the basketball schools didnt already know they were probably going to bail a week or so ago while the vote was being taken. The football schools wanted ECU as an all-sports additon. The basketball schools blocked them. Why? ECU's basketball is better than Tulanes. The basketball schools knew they were leaving anyway and were never going to play single game against ECU. So why the block? Why the push of Tulane. (who they didnt want either it appears)?

Strange days.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 01:58 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-13-2012 01:56 AM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

New Orleans is only the #51 TV market, too.

People seem to think NOLA is much bigger than it actually is.
12-13-2012 01:56 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(12-13-2012 01:56 AM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  

Cuz it used to be alot bigger than it currently is.
12-13-2012 01:59 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(12-13-2012 01:56 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Dysfunctional thinking at its finest. I almost wonder if it was done out of spite. I mean, your not going to tell me that the basketball schools didnt already know they were probably going to bail a week or so ago while the vote was being taken. The football schools wanted ECU as an all-sports additon. The basketball schools blocked them. Why? ECU's basketball is better than Tulanes. The basketball schools knew they were leaving anyway and were never going to play single game against ECU. So why the block? Why the push of Tulane. (who they didnt want either it appears)?

Strange days.
When we were in a conference with Marquette, we were making NCAAs and NITs regularly, including some Ws against Marquette, until the last couple of years they were in C-USA. We also won a women's hoops C-USA title on their court. We're not much right now, but putting money up, and we were pretty good not that long ago. And Marquette knows the present and the past.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 02:04 AM by DrBox.)
12-13-2012 02:02 AM
Advertisement

cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2012 01:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

It lost population because of Katrina, but was smaller than many southern cities even before that. Don't think its metro has ever been larger than c. 1.3 million.

The catholic schools knew its population and market size a month ago.
12-13-2012 02:07 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2012 02:02 AM)DrBox Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 01:56 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Strange days.
When we were in a conference with Marquette, we were making NCAAs and NITs regularly, including some Ws against Marquette, until the last couple of years they were in C-USA. We also won a women's hoops C-USA title on their court. We're not much right now, but putting money up, and we were pretty good not that long ago. And Marquette knows the present and the past.

I lived in Nola 27 years and remember when Tulane was a power in bball and used to go to Fogelman to watch great games with Memphis.
12-13-2012 02:10 AM
eaglenjxn Offline
All American

Not by that much: Greater NOLA was 1.3 in 2000 and is 1.17 now.

NOLA Proper is another story, but its population never reached more than 620K and was on a rapid decline prior to Katrina.
12-13-2012 02:16 AM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
(12-13-2012 02:16 AM)eaglenjxn Wrote:  

Not by that much: Greater NOLA was 1.3 in 2000 and is 1.17 now.

NOLA Proper is another story, but its population never reached more than 620K and was on a rapid decline prior to Katrina.

If that's true, then Tulsa is almost that. About 1 million (950,000) in our metro area. Oh, but we don't have the Superdome.
12-13-2012 06:57 AM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
This is a Catholic schools jockeying for a bigger piece of whatever TV broadcast pie is made available. THEY voted in Tulane. If there was no due diligence, who does that fall on?
12-13-2012 07:20 AM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: BE Presidents "Let's add Tulane they bring the NOLA market"
School Presidents vote, not ADs.
12-13-2012 07:24 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

Hmmm, Marquette AD is obviously working with CBS, ESPN & McMurphy. Plus, I doubt his information is even reliable.
12-13-2012 08:16 AM
Wavebacker Offline
All American

I Root For: Toolane.....
(12-13-2012 07:24 AM)72Tiger Wrote:  School Presidents vote, not ADs.

True

School Presidents make the final call on additions to a league, not AD's or coaches. Each should have some input on the decisions, or so one would think. It seems like the school presidents were sold on Tulane by the caliber of the school, it's proximity and relative size of the TV market as well as having a convenient Football program than can fit it's footprint. While Tulane's Basketball product has been mediocre at best of late, it's not as if TU hasn't had it's moments and doesn't have the potential to prosper in a NBE. The school's investment in athletics, particularly BBall with current improvements to facilities, suggest TU Basketball can improve. The addition was also made with Louisville in the BE, which makes for a stronger RPI at the time. TU has been in leagues with many of the NBE schools so we also have a connection to the league, which has to help in some's mindset in adding us. Blaming TU for a poor RPI is just sour grapes really. The NBE catholic schools are upset about decreased income projected from the league and are looking for a scapegoat.
12-13-2012 08:36 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
What about academics? Would that had played a part?
12-13-2012 08:37 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-13-2012 08:37 AM)gdunn Wrote:  What about academics? Would that had played a part?

When's the last time 50,000 people showed up to watch some kid do a chemistry experiment?
12-13-2012 08:43 AM
Advertisement

Wavebacker Offline
All American

I Root For: Toolane.....
(12-13-2012 08:37 AM)gdunn Wrote:  What about academics? Would that had played a part?

Tulane's status as an AAU university has to be a plus. It doesn't hurt to have a school with excellent academics in a league when you can accommodate one. These are colleges after all and an association with one of the better schools in the nation does have some value. TU President Scott Cowan has made himself a noted name in college athletics to some degree so that probably helps as well.
12-13-2012 08:44 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(12-13-2012 08:43 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

When's the last time 50,000 people showed up to watch some kid do a chemistry experiment?

Did you just quote James Caan from "The Program"?
12-13-2012 08:44 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(12-13-2012 08:44 AM)Wavebacker Wrote:  

Tulane's status as an AAU university has to be a plus. It doesn't hurt to have a school with excellent academics in a league when you can accommodate one. These are colleges after all and an association with one of the better schools in the nation does have some value. TU President Scott Cowan has made himself a noted name in college athletics to some degree so that probably helps as well.

I'm thinking that had to help Tulane.. Let's be honest, not just anyone is accepted into Tulane.. I mean I figure Tulane's standards are higher than LSU's.
12-13-2012 08:45 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta

and what is left is somewhat a depressed economy..
12-13-2012 08:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.