UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sources: 7 leaning to leave Big East
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Sources: 7 leaning to leave Big East
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ources-say

"The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools are expected to decide on their future in the Big East in the coming days and it "would be an upset" if they remained in the league, sources told ESPN."
12-13-2012 12:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the Dragon Offline
Heisman

RE: Sources: 7 leaning to leave Big East
(12-13-2012 12:51 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ources-say

"The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools are expected to decide on their future in the Big East in the coming days and it "would be an upset" if they remained in the league, sources told ESPN."

Shocker.

So the BE would become

Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Cincy
Houston
Memphis
ECU
SMU
Tulane
Boise State
San Diego State

I don't see the last two staying.

Would we be better off in that league (without Boise St. and SDSU) or the one we're in? I'd take that league.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 09:18 AM by the Dragon.)
12-13-2012 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(12-13-2012 09:17 AM)the Dragon Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 12:51 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ources-say

Shocker.

So the BE would become

Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Cincy
Houston
Memphis
ECU
SMU
Tulane
Boise State
San Diego State

Would we be better off in that league (without Boise St. and SDSU) or the one we're in? I'd take that league.

+1 That is where UAB needs to be. Is there any support from our long-time conference mates for us to join them? Hopefully there is at the AD and Presidential level, because there isn't a scrap to be found from their fans.
12-13-2012 09:26 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd look for Boise St and SDSU to go back to MWC; MWC gets UTEP and Tulsa from CUSA, replaced by WKU and Ark St; & (as someone proposed) remaining BE teams join existing conference, convince best of CUSA, MAC, and SB to join them for a very good eastern-based conference.
12-13-2012 09:26 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
UConn will be the next addition to the ACC. And Tulane had it better in CUSA that they will in the left behind conference.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 09:31 AM by BlazerPhil.)
12-13-2012 09:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
U-Conn and Cincy will be in the ACC.

I suspect Boise and SDSU will stay in the MWC so you end up with

Temple
UCF
USF
Houston
Memphis
ECU
SMU
Tulane

Oh whatever will they do. The NCAA will never grant them an auto bid. Every other conference in the country wants the Big East to die including some of its own members that play basketball.

Pretty much an 8 team division. Might as well either split up with C-USA geographically or they can stay their own division and be part of an alliance with C-USA and in the future the MWC. I could see the commissioners working things out and making it more geographically sensible between the MWC, C-USA, and the Leftover Least.
12-13-2012 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
So basically the Big East is Conference USA.
12-13-2012 09:50 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

CUSA North
12-13-2012 09:51 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yep. I think we discussed this a long time ago that all this would shake out like this.
12-13-2012 09:52 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  U-Conn and Cincy will be in the ACC.

I suspect Boise and SDSU will stay in the MWC so you end up with

Temple
UCF
USF
Houston
Memphis
ECU
SMU
Tulane

Oh whatever will they do. The NCAA will never grant them an auto bid. Every other conference in the country wants the Big East to die including some of its own members that play basketball.

Pretty much an 8 team division. Might as well either split up with C-USA geographically or they can stay their own division and be part of an alliance with C-USA and in the future the MWC. I could see the commissioners working things out and making it more geographically sensible between the MWC, C-USA, and the Leftover Least.

With a lot of the schools present that have been involved in long running discussions, I could see the "Alliance" forming between the MWC and BE Leftovers. It would be marginally better than C-USA in football but substantially better in basketball. I hope Brian Mackin is lobbying like hell to get us included in whatever all-sports league forms from the BE break-up.
12-13-2012 09:55 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

An alliance is already there between the MWC & CUSA. It just isn't out there in the open.
12-13-2012 09:57 AM
Advertisement

Blazer88 Offline
Banned

(12-13-2012 09:17 AM)the Dragon Wrote:  

Shocker.

So the BE would become

Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Cincy
Houston
Memphis
ECU
SMU
Tulane
Boise State
San Diego State

Yes, get us with Memphis again and out of a league with FAU.
12-13-2012 10:03 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

(12-13-2012 09:57 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  An alliance is already there between the MWC & CUSA. It just isn't out there in the open.

This
12-13-2012 10:04 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I am a little surprised that the non-football BE schools are moving this fast instead of after the season, but maybe there is nothing to lose by announcing you are leaving or splitting now.
12-13-2012 10:07 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2012 10:07 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I am a little surprised that the non-football BE schools are moving this fast instead of after the season, but maybe there is nothing to lose by announcing you are leaving or splitting now.

Have to do it to get a TV deal in place. ESPN will overpay them just to finish off the Big East.
12-13-2012 10:11 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(12-13-2012 09:57 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  An alliance is already there between the MWC & CUSA. It just isn't out there in the open.

If that's the case, why did C-USA add so many teams from the Sun Belt? It would seem to complicate things as far as merging the three leagues.
12-13-2012 10:16 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Because we will have teams shifting to the West (MWC). I look for them to more geographically align things. The exten of it all will depend on what the jilted defectors want to do.
12-13-2012 10:20 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Bump

"The Big East Conference, the only to send three teams to a Final Four, will announce Thursday that its non-FBS programs are splitting from their brethren, sources told The Post."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/b...wF80US3G6H
12-13-2012 10:41 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

If/when the BE folds that would be a perfect opportunity to bring some sanity to realignment - at least as far a non-AQ conferences go. Non-AQ conferences could be aligned based on geography - regional conferences. The SunBelt and MAC are already regional while the others would have to tweek their membership. An alliance that includes CUSA, MWC, and remaining BE teams would create a second-tier dynamic that could include Eastern(BE), Southern(CUSA), and Western(MWC) "divisions" or sub-conferences. That would leave the east of the MAC. The SunBelt may need to make some decisions. Of course, there would need to be a lot of meetings among conference commissioners, ADs, TV networks, etc and some agreement would have to come from it. Well...
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:42 AM by WesternBlazer.)
12-13-2012 10:42 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-13-2012 09:26 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  Hopefully there is at the AD and Presidential level, because there isn't a scrap to be found from their fans.

Lucky no one gives a damn what the fans think.
12-13-2012 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.