UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] First 10 Men's BB Games -GangGreen derailment
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
[split] First 10 Men's BB Games -GangGreen derailment
Sorry. Gang Green may be good, but they are far from the ten best in the country. They need to fill in more than one or two sections to be anywhere close to 20 best.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 04:21 PM by UABslant.)
12-11-2012 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: First 10 Men's BB Games
And as far as GangGreen goes, the last couple seasons have had great student turnout. However, the creativity was much greater during the CMA years. Screaming "You Suck" is done at middle school games and the Kaleidoscope deal has been done at Samford for years. Screaming at the opponents like you are in the middle of a domestic dispute in Gate City is tasteless and embarrassing.

GangGreen needs to do some research; check out videos of Utah St, Duke, etc... you could learn something.
12-11-2012 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-11-2012 03:23 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Screaming at the opponents like you are in the middle of a domestic dispute in Gate City is tasteless and embarrassing.

Little more you can do with a student section that would rather sit and text that participate in anything creative.

Of course, stripping isn't a solution either.
12-11-2012 03:25 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2012 03:25 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 03:23 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Screaming at the opponents like you are in the middle of a domestic dispute in Gate City is tasteless and embarrassing.

Little more you can do with a student section that would rather sit and text that participate in anything creative.

What I want to know is what is up with that group of students who now occupy the area behind the basket... The group to the left ( as viewed from the court) of the band raise the roof with their cheering and jumping, etc,, and the large group to the right of the band just see to sit there ( as unengaged if not worse than the "frozen 100" as some folks call us ). Most of the folks in the area I'm referring to are African-Americans.... Why the "reserved" behavior during what should be an exciting event??
12-11-2012 03:34 PM
UABslant Offline

Says the guy that got reprimanded by ESP for verbal abuse... pot, meet kettle.

Stripping is actually a good technique... remember this gem from Duke???--->

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 03:44 PM by UABslant.)
12-11-2012 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

UNLV does a good job with their cutouts...
[Image: scaled.0211_web_unlv_sdsu003_t650.jpg?57...031ff69545]

A giant Faz would be good for Brad or Daniel to break out for conference play... back in the day, we had to go to Kinko's and make our own signs... kids these days get everything handed to them 03-wink
12-11-2012 03:49 PM
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

This is what I call student participation...

12-11-2012 04:16 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: [split] First 10 Men's BB Games -GangGreen derailment
Now, now. Our student section has been named one of the top ten in America.
12-11-2012 04:23 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-11-2012 03:43 PM)UABslant Wrote:  

Says the guy that got reprimanded by ESP for verbal abuse... pot, meet kettle.

Stripping is actually a good technique... remember this gem from Duke???--->

I didn't call the kettle anything. I said that it is hard to do anything else but yelling stuff to make an environment that affects the game when so few students come to the game to participate in it.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them yelling at the players, etc as long as foul language isn't involved.

The stripping is on a different level entirely, though. 03-lmfao The Duke stripping flower guy did it for one free throw sequence only. He didn't stand nearly naked the entire 2nd half of the basketball game in the front row of a section shoving their junk on each other.

Tyler and I did try some creative stuff back in the day. One highlight was having the front row dress as construction workers and have a giant blowup image of this classic team pic during the Kent State game:

[Image: 2010-11_MBK_HardHat-Team-webcrop.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 04:29 PM by demiveeman.)
12-11-2012 04:28 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

I'm old school. I believe if everybody would quit trying to be creative and simply cheer consistently throughout the game for your team while occasionally giving the refs grief, it would create an amazing atmosphere.
12-11-2012 04:33 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-11-2012 04:33 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I'm old school. I believe if everybody would quit trying to be creative and simply cheer consistently throughout the game for your team while occasionally giving the refs grief, it would create an amazing atmosphere.

Well, and I can't speak a lot for what it is like now...but when I was part of the student section...

Any time an "amazing atmosphere" was created during a timeout or after a big play, music began playing over the cheering to completely kill the mood.

So. I don't know.

The "U-A-B" chant towards the 2nd half of a big game in Bartow Arena can be one of the biggest, most powerful sports chants in the country. I believe it.

However, when the biggest post-Anderson era student participation we've seen are one-off student "fans" throwing stuff at Memphis players after a loss...we've got issues.
12-11-2012 04:39 PM
Advertisement

BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

The upset of Butler at home during their first final four run, The student section was huge and the crowd was loud in the second half at least.
Thats the last amazing atmosphere i can remember.
12-11-2012 07:31 PM
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

(12-11-2012 07:31 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  The upset of Butler at home during their first final four run, The student section was huge and the crowd was loud in the second half at least.

+1

I was in that section, and it was definitely one of the best overall that I have attended. I also agree with MB that creativity isn't necessary, as long as there is cheering, yelling, and most importantly, NO sitting or texting. That Butler game wasn't creative or different, just continuous yelling, cheering, defense cheers, etc. Nothing new, just good old fashioned cheering.
12-11-2012 07:56 PM
BlazeN'Bham Offline
All American

We dont have great "known" name teams come to Bartow arena very often either. Butler or VCU(when we came back from huge deficit and won) was the last decent opponent besides Creighton if im not mistaken? Over the last 4-5 years, the crowd participation has been invisible and quiet. I also agree with MB. About 15 students and the band are really the only ones there. You should be able to here me when the refs make a bad call. Of course im on the other end of the arena in General Admission seats.
12-11-2012 08:10 PM
BlazerRN10 Offline
Water Engineer

Our student section blows. I agree with BlazerDawg. The one section of students to the right of the goal sit on their ass the whole game and look as if they are forced to be there. Stand the **** up if you are going to sit in the student section! Those other guys do a pretty good job but taking off your shirt and wearing pink speedos is a bit disturbing and embarrassing...
12-11-2012 08:56 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(12-11-2012 08:56 PM)BlazerRN10 Wrote:  Our student section blows. I agree with BlazerDawg. The one section of students to the right of the goal sit on their ass the whole game and look as if they are forced to be there. Stand the **** up if you are going to sit in the student section! Those other guys do a pretty good job but taking off your shirt and wearing pink speedos is a bit disturbing and embarrassing...

Please. Top 10 in the Nation. You read it here first.
12-11-2012 09:49 PM
Advertisement

amsterdam1702 Offline
2nd String

(12-11-2012 07:31 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  The upset of Butler at home during their first final four run, The student section was huge and the crowd was loud in the second half at least.

Awesome game. Wasnt that the year of the NIT semis against UNC at Bartow? Another awesome game that I think ultimately got us our coach.
12-12-2012 11:38 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-12-2012 11:38 AM)amsterdam1702 Wrote:  

Awesome game. Wasnt that the year of the NIT semis against UNC at Bartow? Another awesome game that I think ultimately got us our coach.

This is the game that ultimately got us our coach:
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketba...4-65203460
12-12-2012 12:16 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-11-2012 03:05 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Sorry. Gang Green may be good, but they are far from the ten best in the country. They need to fill in more than one or two sections to be anywhere close to 20 best.

As much as the student section at Legion Field is criticized, it seems to be twice as big, and at least as enthusiastic, as the section at basketball games. The glaring exception this year was the Memphis game, during which basically everyone in the stadium was rendered either silent, mouth agape, or pissed.

If you do an on-the-field-performance-to-student-section-quality ratio, the football student section is dominating.
12-12-2012 12:39 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-12-2012 12:39 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 03:05 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Sorry. Gang Green may be good, but they are far from the ten best in the country. They need to fill in more than one or two sections to be anywhere close to 20 best.

As much as the student section at Legion Field is criticized, it seems to be twice as big, and at least as enthusiastic, as the section at basketball games. The glaring exception this year was the Memphis game, during which basically everyone in the stadium was rendered either silent, mouth agape, or pissed.

If you do an on-the-field-performance-to-student-section-quality ratio, the football student section is dominating.

03-lmfao

Is this before or after halftime? Also, are you including the band?
12-12-2012 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.