Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCState should keep an eye on Yow
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
NCState should keep an eye on Yow
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...index.html
Quote:Just as Yow was lavishly refurbishing the facilities, the top sports began flailing, culminating in the football team's first 10-loss season in 2009. After winning a national championship in 2002, men's basketball also declined, failing to win more than one NCAA tournament game since 2003.

Coaches admired Yow's ambition, but not her management skills, and her shortcomings were highlighted as the top two revenue-producing sports began to struggle.
When Yow left in June 2010 to become athletic director at NC State, she also left the Maryland athletic department with three significant problems: a losing football team, an underachieving basketball team and a mountain of debt.
12-06-2012 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: NCState should keep an eye on Yow
Each school in the UNC system has its own Board of Trustees. In addition the UNC system has a Board of Governors. Lots of oversight. Doesn't mean something couldn't happen but it would be very difficult.
12-06-2012 04:04 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(12-06-2012 04:04 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Each school in the UNC system has its own Board of Trustees. In addition the UNC system has a Board of Governors. Lots of oversight. Doesn't mean something couldn't happen but it would be very difficult.

i was getting ready to post something similar, i'm not sure about Maryland but any school in North Carolina would have a hard time getting approval on taking on that much debt without a sound plan on how to pay for it
12-06-2012 04:22 PM
Advertisement

lazydawg58 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: East Carolina
Wasn't UMD in much, much deeper debt when Yow got there than when she left?
12-06-2012 11:21 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(12-06-2012 11:21 PM)lazydawg58 Wrote:  Wasn't UMD in much, much deeper debt when Yow got there than when she left?

From the article:
Quote:When Debbie Yow was named Maryland's athletic director in 1994, she inherited more than $50 million in debt and an operating budget that had not been balanced in 10 years. Her five predecessors lasted an average of three years.

The article goes on to say she was successful and "donors flocked to... the Terapin Club." The athletic department peaked in 2002. Yow/Maryland spent a lot of money on facilities and then FB and BB declined sending fans and donors flocking elsewhere.

I'm not saying Yow is innocent but I don't think the AD can commit the university to that much debt without the President and/or BOT being involved.

edit: I fixed the quote tags.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 07:46 AM by Wolfman.)
12-07-2012 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.