Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Flash cards
Bookmark and Share
HiTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UoM
Flash cards
Ok, so this has been bothering me the past few games, and no one I talked to tonight had a definite answer. During stoppage or when the other team is shooting FT's, pastner will hold several cards that are on the table for the team to see. They all say something different, usually like 4-3 or 12-4 or something along those lines. My guess is they are defensive sets since he only hold them up when the other team has the ball. I've never seen another basketball team use these,football all the team, but just curious where they came from.

Also, another thread on this from 3 weeks ago had no answer in it then. Since no one had an answer at the game, first thought that crossed was to ask MT.
Hoping someone had an update or does no one really know? Secret strategy maybe?
12-05-2012 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Flash cards
Well since we won it's a good thing. If we lost the cards would have been a bad idea. lol
12-05-2012 11:11 PM
DBrown1984 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis/Tenn St
It's actually not an unusual as you might think. Different cards could refer to different sets and they can change each game. It's one way to mess up the scouting reports.
12-05-2012 11:24 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
Oregon football has the most interesting use of flash cards that I have seen. It's very effective.
12-06-2012 02:30 AM
btipton1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: T-I-G-E-R-S!!
I've actually seen some other NCAA basketball teams deploy some cards with sets listed on them. It is more typical for one of the assistant coaches on the bench to be doing the "flashing" when needed. That would be the first time I've seen the head coach fooling around with the cards during the game. I would assume it is only a defensive thing because the PG needs to signal the calls on the offensive end and get the players into their sets.

IMO, this is just one more reminder that we are still dealing with a young coach who is learning on the job. This may be something that works well, or coach may find that this isn't a good idea. I can tell you this.... everything I've learned about CJP to this point leads me to believe that he probably got this idea from somebody else who already utilizes something similar. Coach always seems to be looking for advice and tips from other coaches.
12-06-2012 03:06 AM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(12-05-2012 11:08 PM)HiTiger Wrote:  Ok, so this has been bothering me the past few games, and no one I talked to tonight had a definite answer. During stoppage or when the other team is shooting FT's, pastner will hold several cards that are on the table for the team to see. They all say something different, usually like 4-3 or 12-4 or something along those lines. My guess is they are defensive sets since he only hold them up when the other team has the ball. I've never seen another basketball team use these,football all the team, but just curious where they came from.

Also, another thread on this from 3 weeks ago had no answer in it then. Since no one had an answer at the game, first thought that crossed was to ask MT.
Hoping someone had an update or does no one really know? Secret strategy maybe?

My sources tell me they came from FedEx Office.
12-06-2012 03:32 AM
Advertisement

ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
I just wish the cards would help Josh calm down some on the sidelines. I now understand why the guys don't appear to listen to him at times because he never stops talking to them while they are playing. He is going to have to learn how to handle the pressure of this job or any head coaching job or he will have heart problems at an early age. He jumps around like a mad man over there. I really think it affects him thinking through the game, he gets so wrapped up in every step he loses focus on what he should do next.

Example: Crawford had just sat down after he took him out and he walked right up to him and grabbed his arm to go in and then realized he had just taken him out. Chris even smiled and motioned for him to calm down.
12-06-2012 08:44 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I recall when people complained that Josh wasn't animated enough on the sideline. I don't care what he does, as long as we play like we did last night.
12-06-2012 09:10 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
My high school coach had five ping pong paddles, with numbers painted on to hold up when he wanted to change offense or defense on the fly.

We only had two offensive sets and either played man to man, 1-3-1 or 2-2-1 on defense, but it worked to get our attention.

He also used those paddles for other things in practice...ouch.
12-06-2012 09:41 AM
lifelongtiger Offline
Working Class Hero

I Root For: THE U of M
Each card represents a four letter cuss word. Pastner uses them so he can still say he never uses cuss words.
12-06-2012 09:49 AM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
One thing I’ve noticed is Josh now still has his voice during post game interviews. Before the cards he could hardly talk.
12-06-2012 09:54 AM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(12-05-2012 11:11 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  Well since we won it's a good thing. If we lost the cards would have been a bad idea. lol

They used them in the Bahamas, too.
12-06-2012 10:16 AM
RichmondTiger Offline
Water Engineer

(12-06-2012 09:54 AM)BealeStreetTiger Wrote:  One thing I’ve noticed is Josh now still has his voice during post game interviews. Before the cards he could hardly talk.

^ This. Also thought he might have throat issues we don't know about. Good strategy for noisy arenas.
12-06-2012 10:42 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I've seen many other D1 teams use it. I agree that it is usually an assistant who has a binder or folder. Haven't seen a head coach do it, but who really cares?
12-06-2012 11:02 AM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
it's for his voice and it also removes the excuse from the players they didn't hear the defensive assignment called in.
12-06-2012 11:10 AM
4Blue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: hometown
Pastner is just trying different ways to make the communication better! The better the communication the more likely everybody is on the same page. If it works you will see more head coached doing it.
12-06-2012 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Reekinhavoc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Univ of Memphis
(12-06-2012 09:49 AM)lifelongtiger Wrote:  Each card represents a four letter cuss word. Pastner uses them so he can still say he never uses cuss words.

Yeah that Black 1-4 has me running for my Bible.
12-06-2012 11:23 AM
BigBlue52 Offline
2nd String

03-lmfao
(12-06-2012 09:49 AM)lifelongtiger Wrote:  Each card represents a four letter cuss word. Pastner uses them so he can still say he never uses cuss words.

03-lmfao
12-06-2012 11:41 AM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2012 11:23 AM)Reekinhavoc Wrote:  

Yeah that Black 1-4 has me running for my Bible.

That was the one I saw on TV
12-06-2012 12:45 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

Tennessee also uses flash cards but they use pictures instead of words and numbers for obvious reasons.

I think Black 1-4 means Tarik is going to run 4 suicides if he misses 1 shot.
12-06-2012 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.