ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Worst team in ODU basketball history?
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
2 part question

1. Is this the worst team in ODU history?
2. How do we get back and how long will it take?

Don't answer fire Blaine Taylor for part 2 because that is a given and there is another thread for that.
12-04-2012 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

RE: Worst team in ODU basketball history?
I'm young and have been watching ODU since 2004/05 season. This is at least the worst team in that time period. Fix it by hiring a young exciting coach that brings energy and enthusiasm like Karen Barefoot. It will be bad next year, but we should be back on track after that year.
12-04-2012 09:37 PM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
1). This is the worst that I've seen since I started following as an undergrad in 2004. If we had the team now that we had then, we'd be in the top ten easily.

2). I think our guards are pretty solid, but having no one inside to pound the ball in has them nervous to take the shot and possibly miss. Remember when our best offense was a missed shot? Not these days. We need to go back to the Ivory Coast and find more players like Dahi and look for another Loughton in Australia. Our team used to have a huge international presence, but not so much these days. I remember when all I'd hear was Alex Loughton, Arnaud Dahi, or Valdus Vasylius. Lol.

What happened to our recruiting over seas? That seems to be a prominent factor in our recent collapse. Sure we're getting international players, but they suck. But back on the home front, I was kind of hoping that Donte Hill was going to be another Drew Williamson. That hasn't happened. Lol.

We need a go-to guy that's going to give it his all on any given night. I know Blaine is all about team ball, but we need someone to ignite the crowd and amp up the players again.

We also need better players. Lol. For Christ's sake we are on the cusp of a monumental move for our athletics. We should be able to pull in at least one highly-touted recruit.

I'm all over the place as usual. Lol.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 09:42 PM by Oduniceguy.)
12-04-2012 09:40 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

No this team is far from the worst in ODU history. The team Blaine inherited with TCIS 2nd league guys playing for his was worse. This team he has would lay waste to them in an open court game.

This team has zero confidence because that's what he does to teams early in the season, but now the tables have flipped and no one has confidence in Taylor and this is what we have.

Plausible scenario is JR finishes the year and Wood has some time to digest his options.
12-04-2012 09:45 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-04-2012 09:45 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  No this team is far from the worst in ODU history. The team Blaine inherited with TCIS 2nd league guys playing for his was worse. This team he has would lay waste to them in an open court game.

This team has zero confidence because that's what he does to teams early in the season, but now the tables have flipped and no one has confidence in Taylor and this is what we have.

Plausible scenario is JR finishes the year and Wood has some time to digest his options.

The team Blaine inherited finished 12-16 (7-11) and was 5-3 at this point. You really think this team is better?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...n-monarchs
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 09:58 PM by EverRespect.)
12-04-2012 09:56 PM
UDO Offline
2nd String

Who is worse?

Towson last year or ODU this year
12-04-2012 09:58 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
This team makes the 86-87 team (6-22;1-13) look like a Sweet 16 team.
12-04-2012 09:59 PM
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

(12-04-2012 09:58 PM)UDO Wrote:  Who is worse?

Towson last year or ODU this year

C'mon, man. Towson and it ain't even close.
12-04-2012 09:59 PM
UDO Offline
2nd String

I'm just trying to have a little fun.
12-04-2012 10:02 PM
gilla Offline
Bench Warmer

Can't wait for the Commonwealth Cup tournament. UVA did their recon ahead of time. They didn't want to play us a couple years ago.
12-04-2012 10:03 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Ever, talent wise this team is much better but we have to acknowledge that Taylor was at that point actually trying to impress people by winning games instead of breaking down his own guys for future gain.
12-04-2012 10:08 PM
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
I spent a half hour looking through schedules back to 1960 to find a worse home loss. I couldn't.
12-04-2012 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dominion Offline
Bench Warmer

This is not the least talented team at ODU by a long shot. But, it sure looks like they could challenge to be the worst performing. They have no idea what they're trying o o out there.
12-04-2012 10:10 PM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2012 09:59 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  This team makes the 86-87 team (6-22;1-13) look like a Sweet 16 team.

The 86-87 team was definitely the worst team before this year but they did beat Virginia Tech and Maryland according to my media guide. Time will tell but it sure looks like this team could be the worse. In my opinion this team is much worse than Tom Young's and Jeff Capel's final year teams that I presume got both gentlemen fired.
12-04-2012 10:18 PM
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

12-04-2012 10:39 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2012 10:39 PM)Monarch_Pride Wrote:  Well, there is this.
03-puke
http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArtic...=205820743

I think, given the circumstances (national TV game), the margin of defeat, the way we looked in the loss and the prospects that next year could be even worse when we have ZERO big men, yes, THIS IS the worst team in ODU history and next year will be the NEW worst team in ODU history.

Don't see any hope for the future considering McEwen can't even crack this lineup and we don't have anyone other than a redshirt freshman returning that is over 6"5-6"6.

That is ugly ladies and gentleman.
12-05-2012 02:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Flagship Offline
All American

(12-05-2012 02:09 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  That is ugly ladies and gentleman.
It really is ugly. This team can't shoot or play good team defense.

The strange thing is that I do like what I see from some of these young players as individuals. So I have hope for the future.

But I am in the camp that says that down years every once in a while are the norm rather than the exception. I have looked at the records of many programs and find that almost all have down years (although "down" years can mean double digit losses to some power programs rather than losing seasons). But it is interesting to see the records because you will realize that it is extremely difficult to have great seasons year after year.
For example, Villanova was 13-19 last year.
St. Joes has not won more than 21 games in a 7 year period that included consecutive year records of 17-15, 11-20, 11-22, before reversing to 20-14 last year.
Pitt had a great 10 year run only to lose 17 times last year.
Arizona didn't win more than 21 games in a five year stretch from 2006 to 2010.
UCLA failed to win 20 games in 5 of the last 10 years.
Texas had double digit losses in 5 of the last 8 years.

On the flip side, there are very few programs that have been consistently great. This list includes Gonzaga, Duke, and Kansas.

Before everyone jumps off a cliff, take a deep breath and understand what is normal and what is extraordinary, and where we should fit and why.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/old-domin...ins_losses
(Change team in dropdown box in upper right. Click on Trends tab and then "Wins & Losses".)
12-05-2012 07:11 AM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

I don't see how BT makes it past this year. This team doesn't lack talent, it lacks an understanding of how to play basketball. No confidence, no energy, no leadership...on the court and bench. It's sad. To watch this team actually give up in the second half was maddening; two possessions in a row they just stood and watched a UR guy drive for a layup.

Wood Selig will not let this go on long. MBB is the only major program not on the rise.
12-05-2012 07:52 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

That's all well and good.....but all those teams play in much tougher leagues.

We are 1-7 against 5 awful teams and 2 decent teams.

We wouldn't win a single game in the Big East this year and we probably wouldn't win a single game in the A-10 either.

This isn't a "down year". This is an epic collapse. And next year will be even worse. So no, this isn't comparable to anything else you brought up because the situation is just completely different.

BCS teams have "down years" because they play top notch competition constantly. We racked up a TON of wins against crappy crappy teams most seasons. That's why Blaine gets to keep touting his "postseason win streak"......because we beat up just enough crappy teams to inflate our record enough to go to 4 or 5 CBI's/CIT's over the last couple years and get him some more wins.

Quite frankly, Blaine's overall record and win %'s flatter the crap out of him as a basketball coach. He was pretty much guaranteed 6-7 wins a year just in conference play alone against the likes of W&M, JMU, GA State, Hofstra (recently), Delaware (just got a bit better finally), UNCW (he missed most of their "glory days").

Blaine pulled out close wins against very crappy CAA bottom feeders year after year and racked up wins. He's not nearly as good as his record indicates. Period. Wins and losses doesn't take into account SOS.....he's racked up big win totals on the backs of some pretty horrible CAA bottom feeders. Just an absolute fact.

I'm not 100% sure we would have ever even made an NCAA tourney if we had to play in a BCS conference, even with the Hassell/Lee/Coop/Finney/Carter/James etc. team.

If we had played in the Big East or ACC for the last couple years we probably would have finished in the bottom half of the league far more often than not. Purely opinion, but considering how streaky our team was with offensive shooting (or lack thereof), I think we would have dropped a lot of games in a BCS conference with Blaine as coach.

We got away with some terrible nights against crappy teams in the CAA simply because the competition was just so terrible. We'd have no such luck in the Big East or ACC.

And remember, this is coming from a die hard mid-major fan who loathes the BCS and everything it stands for. But I'm also a realist. Blaine's teams, even the peak teams of 04-05 and 09-10 still had some crazy off nights in quite a few games....we just dominated crappy teams on the boards and eeked out road wins against some crappy CAA bottom feeders. That wouldn't happen in the Big East. You have an off night in that conference and you can lose to anyone. Just saying.
12-05-2012 07:55 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I wonder how much better of a team we would have been this year with no coaching at all. For one example, look at the preseason games, the Europe trip, and the summer leagues. Aaron Bacote was the most prolific scorer on the team. Now, after being ruined, he looks like he wouldn't make Virginia Weslyan. Hill was also dominant. The problem is Taylor and his system.
12-05-2012 08:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.