Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open Letter
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Open Letter
An Apology

I think we can all agree that Huskie Nation owes everyone who loves college football a sincere apology for diminishing this great game by qualifying for a BCS bowl this year. We are embarrassed and duly humbled by the legitimate criticism we’ve received. The MACC game crew of Carter Blackburn and Rod Gilmore was apoplectic and the ESPN studio team of Rece Davis, Kirk Herbstreit et al (that’s too many names to repeat so for the sake of brevity I will hereafter refer to ESPN personnel as “The Gerbils”, similar to other madcap groups like The Monkees and Beatles) was nearly in tears at the injustice of it all.

It boils down to protecting the sanctity of the game. If this sort of thing is allowed to happen what’s next? Coaches within a conference colluding on their votes to ensure some teams are denied BCS bowls? A team with a losing record playing in a bowl game while teams with better records are left home? A team that didn’t win its own conference playing for the national championship? To take the point to its ridiculous extreme, a team that didn’t even win ITS DIVISION in its conference playing for the national championship? These things would never be allowed to happen of course but it’s a slippery slope as The Gerbils would certainly agree.

NIU’s inclusion in the Orange Bowl was detrimental to great institutions like Oklahoma, which now has to screw up the courage to muddle through the Cotton Bowl in the best possible humor, Texas and Michigan. That is disheartening and something has to be done to protect these institutions and their brethren from those in the non-AQ ranks who would take their rightful place in the BCS bowls. When teams from the AQ ranks win their conference they automatically qualify for a BCS bowl regardless of their record, rank or relative standing with other conferences, hence the AQ moniker. Non-AQ teams need to win their conference, finish ranked ahead of at least one AQ conference champion and be ranked 16th or higher in the final BCS standings. See a problem there? Me too! The bar is far too low for non-AQ teams as we sadly learned this year.

Maybe the non-AQ schools should be required to pay annual fees to a central BCS fund to be disbursed to needy AQ schools in order to give them a badly needed leg up in athletic department funding. Or maybe select AQ schools can be allowed to play all 12 regular season games at home instead of the 8 they typically do. And of course the limit of one FCS opponent per year counting toward BCS standings should be eliminated. These acts may seem inconsequential in and of themselves but combined they just may give the AQ schools the edge they need.

This is merely a starting point. The Gerbils can surely come up with even more powerful ways to level the playing field. And we hope they do because are just sick about this situation and Kirk Herbstreit’s approval means everything to us. If we could take it back we would but unfortunately the BCS will have none of it. Some bureaucratic nonsense about having met the criteria for inclusion in a BCS bowl, blah, blah, blah.

In closing, let us assure the world that we are contrite. And if you see one of The Gerbils or an alum of Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan or any other AQ school please reach out to them in the spirit of this holiday season. They are going through a rough time and really need our support.
12-03-2012 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Doggone Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Open Letter
Barry Rozner's tweet in response to the ESPN Hate:

On behalf of every NIU alum, we apologize for enjoying this rarest of moments. We promise to go, have an awful time and lose by 50. Better?
12-03-2012 03:18 PM
niufan99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-03-2012 03:10 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  An Apology

I think we can all agree that Huskie Nation owes everyone who loves college football a sincere apology for diminishing this great game by qualifying for a BCS bowl this year. We are embarrassed and duly humbled by the legitimate criticism we’ve received. The MACC game crew of Carter Blackburn and Rod Gilmore was apoplectic and the ESPN studio team of Rece Davis, Kirk Herbstreit et al (that’s too many names to repeat so for the sake of brevity I will hereafter refer to ESPN personnel as “The Gerbils”, similar to other madcap groups like The Monkees and Beatles) was nearly in tears at the injustice of it all.

It boils down to protecting the sanctity of the game. If this sort of thing is allowed to happen what’s next? Coaches within a conference colluding on their votes to ensure some teams are denied BCS bowls? A team with a losing record playing in a bowl game while teams with better records are left home? A team that didn’t win its own conference playing for the national championship? To take the point to its ridiculous extreme, a team that didn’t even win ITS DIVISION in its conference playing for the national championship? These things would never be allowed to happen of course but it’s a slippery slope as The Gerbils would certainly agree.

NIU’s inclusion in the Orange Bowl was detrimental to great institutions like Oklahoma, which now has to screw up the courage to muddle through the Cotton Bowl in the best possible humor, Texas and Michigan. That is disheartening and something has to be done to protect these institutions and their brethren from those in the non-AQ ranks who would take their rightful place in the BCS bowls. When teams from the AQ ranks win their conference they automatically qualify for a BCS bowl regardless of their record, rank or relative standing with other conferences, hence the AQ moniker. Non-AQ teams need to win their conference, finish ranked ahead of at least one AQ conference champion and be ranked 16th or higher in the final BCS standings. See a problem there? Me too! The bar is far too low for non-AQ teams as we sadly learned this year.

Maybe the non-AQ schools should be required to pay annual fees to a central BCS fund to be disbursed to needy AQ schools in order to give them a badly needed leg up in athletic department funding. Or maybe select AQ schools can be allowed to play all 12 regular season games at home instead of the 8 they typically do. And of course the limit of one FCS opponent per year counting toward BCS standings should be eliminated. These acts may seem inconsequential in and of themselves but combined they just may give the AQ schools the edge they need.

This is merely a starting point. The Gerbils can surely come up with even more powerful ways to level the playing field. And we hope they do because are just sick about this situation and Kirk Herbstreit’s approval means everything to us. If we could take it back we would but unfortunately the BCS will have none of it. Some bureaucratic nonsense about having met the criteria for inclusion in a BCS bowl, blah, blah, blah.

In closing, let us assure the world that we are contrite. And if you see one of The Gerbils or an alum of Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan or any other AQ school please reach out to them in the spirit of this holiday season. They are going through a rough time and really need our support.
GREAT!
12-03-2012 03:23 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Surely Notre Dame with their ....um.... zero conference wins? and typical soft scheduling will agree that schools should not be allowed to "game the system" the way we have.
12-03-2012 03:33 PM
Advertisement

sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(12-03-2012 03:33 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  Surely Notre Dame with their ....um.... zero conference wins? and typical soft scheduling will agree that schools should not be allowed to "game the system" the way we have.
Seriously?
12-12-2012 10:17 PM
NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
Quote:Maybe the non-AQ schools should be required to pay annual fees to a central BCS fund to be disbursed to needy AQ schools in order to give them a badly needed leg up in athletic department funding.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao04-bow04-bow04-bow
12-12-2012 11:14 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Excellent!
12-13-2012 12:03 AM
Kulz007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Open Letter
OU's performance against Boise the reason the top 16 rule was introduced and cares by the BCS. Their failure as an elitist team opened the door for mod major schools everywhere to get into BCS games. You want in, win.quite acting like a freshmen on prom night that forgot how to swallow....
12-13-2012 12:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.