Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The CUSA Board...
Bookmark and Share
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
The CUSA Board...
is almost unrecognizable.

All of the new schools' posters, and their perceptions of an ideal conference, are very different from what the previous schools' posters wished for.

This hit me last night....we are now in the Sunbelt. If it's for the long haul, so be it. But I hope that comparable schools will cluster to avoid another type of cluster.
12-01-2012 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: The CUSA Board...
(12-01-2012 04:40 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  is almost unrecognizable.

All of the new schools' posters, and their perceptions of an ideal conference, are very different from what the previous schools' posters wished for.

This hit me last night....we are now in the Sunbelt. If it's for the long haul, so be it. But I hope that comparable schools will cluster to avoid another type of cluster.

I agree. Hopefully whatever is left of the MWC will join with a few of us left of C-USA pre-sunbelt invasion. But where all the expansion stops is the key. BE is likely going to be raided again soon after the ACC gets raided and then the BE will raid the MWC or C-USA or both. Hell, we might see UTEP in the BE before this is all over.

If 10 or so of the following schools are left standing after BE raids and then join together, I'll be satisfied:

UTEP, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, HAW, UNLV, NEV, RICE, TULSA, USM, UNT, LTU
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 06:06 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
12-01-2012 04:56 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
(12-01-2012 04:56 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

I agree. Hopefully whatever is left of the MWC will join with a few of us left of C-USA pre-sunbelt invasion. But where all the expansion stops is the key. BE is likely going to be raided again soon after the ACC gets raided and then the BE will raid the MWC or C-USA or both. Hell, we might see UTEP in the BE before this is all over.

If 10 or so of the following schools are left standing after BE raids and then join together, I'll be satisfied:

UTEP, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, HAW, UNLV, NEV, RICE, TULSA, USM, UNT, LTU, UNT

04-cheers I don't think I could handle twice the dosage of stadium pics
12-01-2012 05:19 PM
Advertisement

RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
A MWC poster mentioned one of the reasons UTEP was left behind, was because we only played X number of games instead of Y.

I never heard of that. Any of you all know what happened there?
12-01-2012 05:37 PM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP Miners
The MWC sadly doesn't seem the same anyomore without Utah & BYU. I came across an old post from kyyote over at kyyotesden where he says that football might have been the main reason UTEP was not invited to the MWC long ago, but he did specualate that there could have been a possibility of racism from BYU (they did not allow African-Americans into their priesthood untill the late 70's) to not invite UTEP. Who knows what the true reason was.

http://kyyotesden.com/Den/index.php?topic=3993.0;wap2

UTEP made the right move to move from the WAC to C-USA long ago as the WAC is now dead from football.

Another disadvantage to joining the MWC would be that Las Vegas always hosts the MWC basketball tournament every year. Las Vegas is a lot of fun to go to, but it always gives UNLV the advantage every season just as how C-USA fans were tired of Memphis always getting the advantage constantly hosting the C-USA Tournament. Add to that El Paso would never be allowed to ever host a MWC basketball tournament.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 05:41 PM by Proud El Pasoan.)
12-01-2012 05:39 PM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(12-01-2012 05:19 PM)randaddyminer Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 04:56 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

UTEP, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, HAW, UNLV, NEV, RICE, TULSA, USM, UNT, LTU, UNT

04-cheers I don't think I could handle twice the dosage of stadium pics

Did I do that? Damn.
12-01-2012 06:05 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that it was common knowledge that UTEP was excluded from the MWC because of their poor football program.
12-03-2012 02:02 PM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
It was more than our poor football. At the time our facilities were poor. Our athletic budget was poor(er). AFA wanted less conference games. It was a lot of things.
12-03-2012 02:50 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(12-03-2012 02:50 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  It was more than our poor football. At the time our facilities were poor. Our athletic budget was poor(er). AFA wanted less conference games. It was a lot of things.

You are probably right. There is a tendency to only focus on the football program and I am guilty of this from time to time.

At this point, I agree with other posters who say that not even the MWC is the same as it once was and UTEP's reunion with them would not be the same.

Still, for geography's sake, I think UTEP would be better off in a conference that has similar time zones.

When UTEP travels east, those early games are sometimes hard to catch when one works Saturdays.

Part of the reason why I like PAC 12 sports is because you can still catch a game at 8:30 pm. It's the same with the current WAC.

By the time I get off of work on Saturday's, the CUSA games of the week are usually over.
12-06-2012 09:54 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa

This hit me last night....we are now in the Sunbelt.

You are so right - 100% correct. The mindset is something completely different. Most of these new guys just seem happy to have a football team... nothing about rivalries, tradition, etc. Then they get up in arms about the fact that teams aren't excited to play them.

We have a great rivalry with UTEP and I really hope to see it continue, but in the MWC, not C-USA (new Sunbelt).
12-07-2012 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.