WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any Tips For Phone Interviews?
Nacho Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Any Tips For Phone Interviews?
I got on the job hunt real late and have been sending in applications everywhere the past month. I finally got my first phone interview scheduled tomorrow with a transportation sales company. The position is for entry-level sales. The reason I got the interview offer is because I have some background in sales through telemarketing.

Anyone have any tips? I've made a list of possible questions and I'm going through them. I'm also going to keep my resume handy and probably make a list of my strengths and weaknesses. I'm so used to talking on the phone that I feel like I'm not as worried about it as I should be.
11-29-2012 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
RE: Any Tips For Phone Interviews?
Charge your iPhone. Stand up when you talk, you sound better, and make sure you have your notes prepared and a clear area in front of you.

Don't be a d!ck.
11-29-2012 02:10 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
Put on a suit.
11-29-2012 02:10 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 02:10 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Charge your iPhone. Stand up when you talk, you sound better, and make sure you have your notes prepared and a clear area in front of you.

Don't be a d!ck.

I hadn't thought of standing up. Thanks.

(11-29-2012 02:10 PM)thegeneral Wrote:  Put on a suit.

Will a shirt and tie work?
11-29-2012 02:13 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

This is funny, I have a phone meeting with a potential new client this afternoon. I'm going through my notes and preparing for the conference call and I saw this posting when I took a break.

Gotta go iron my shirt and pick a tie out now! :domokun:
11-29-2012 02:14 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

Yeah, a suit and tie will work. I think it's a different mindset to be dressed up than just sitting in sweats or jeans.
11-29-2012 02:17 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

It does make a difference. Mostly preparing ahead of time and taking it serious will come across well.
11-29-2012 02:28 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

You'll be fine kid. Be yourself and make sure they know you want the gig at least twice, you already know the drill. End it strong and ask for the order.
11-29-2012 02:30 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 02:28 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  It does make a difference. Mostly preparing ahead of time and taking it serious will come across well.

I'm working on being able to answer the dreaded "tell me about yourself" question right now.
11-29-2012 02:30 PM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 02:30 PM)Nacho Wrote:  
(11-29-2012 02:28 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  It does make a difference. Mostly preparing ahead of time and taking it serious will come across well.

I'm working on being able to answer the dreaded "tell me about yourself" question right now.

Give them this link:
http://csnbbs.com/search.php?action=finduser&uid=40350
11-29-2012 02:33 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 02:33 PM)thegeneral Wrote:  

Give them this link:
http://csnbbs.com/search.php?action=finduser&uid=40350

LMFAO. Oh god no.
11-29-2012 02:34 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Poise question, just give a brief bio and be clear, organized and concise. They're looking at style with that as much as substance.

"I grew up with my dad paying for my basketball tickets and iPhones, went to MSU where I took ten years to graduate and now I am thrown out into this lame azz job market with you humps where I have to slurp for a gig"
11-29-2012 03:05 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Same goes for the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question. Used to step on my d!ck over that one. It's a poise question, you want to say, "How the he! should I know you clown?!"

But you have to give a clear, concise and organized answer without rambling. Along the lines of, I want to establish a career starting with an excellent growth opportunity like this one before me....."

Needless to say, horse manure.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 03:39 PM by DesertBronco.)
11-29-2012 03:12 PM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
11-29-2012 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Those are good, I used to have comb through endless bs books when I was your age, d@mn kids.
11-29-2012 03:38 PM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Yup, the information age is a beautiful thing.

Highly recommend following Ask A Manager in general. Lots of good tips, Q&A, and general advice for anyone in the workforce.
11-29-2012 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I'm all about information sharing, used to be so frustrating back before we all got connected. Those are good reads. A lot is common sense, but then you're kids so that isn't a given, as Gallager said, "we call them kids because they remind us of baby goats".
11-29-2012 03:42 PM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
Avoid pausing using words like "umm, uhhh, or you know."

Try to site some of your own real world examples to illustrate how you would and HAVE handled a similar situation.

Since it's a sales job tell them that you do not fear rejection (cause that's 80% of what you'll get), but rather take it as a challenge. Explain how you can sell "quality service" just as easily as "price."

Talk about how you've always been fascinated by the transportation industry and marvel at how goods move around this country so efficiently (but don't sound like an a$$ kissing BSer) and would love to learn the inner workings of the industry.

Explain that you are a sponge to learn new things, and that your enthusiasm to learn this business might trump someone who has spent 20 years in the biz and is burned out on it (without sounding like a snot nosed prick).

Ask about upward mobility within the company.

Explain that if you didn't get the job would they consider an internship (you dont have to take it but it sounds good).

Do some research on the industry and their company.

Ask questions about their history and growth.

Don't talk salary or bennies until you've been offered the position.

Explain how you are tech savy, and how your degree from MSU will help in your development. Show pride in your institution without being smug.

You're a smart young man, I'm sure you'll do great. Your biggest obstacle may be people with experience, but then again, they may want a piece of pottery they can mold to their liking.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 04:46 PM by Chipdip.)
11-29-2012 04:44 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

Thank you CD! I really appreciate it!
11-29-2012 05:45 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(11-29-2012 02:10 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Charge your iPhone. Stand up when you talk, you sound better, and make sure you have your notes prepared and a clear area in front of you.

Don't be a d!ck.

This.

For me it works to use a kitchen counter and spread out your resume, the job description, your past successes that sync with the job description, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
11-29-2012 06:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.