Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newest Conference Rumor
Bookmark and Share
JMU08 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Newest Conference Rumor
CAAZone is down, now trying to transfer some threads.

Current rumor:

WKU to C-USA
ASU and GSU(Real) to Sunbelt
11-29-2012 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Newest Conference Rumor
o god, like we really need the nearly 700 page megathread over here too haha. welcome jmu08.
11-29-2012 12:20 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(11-29-2012 12:20 PM)Dukes09 Wrote:  o god, like we really need the nearly 700 page megathread over here too haha. welcome jmu08.

Haha, well there was nothing else here! There is a thread on the front page about the JMU vs VT game still...

Plus how can we expect JMU to leave the CAA when our fans won't even leave the CAAZone? :)
11-29-2012 12:40 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: Dem Dukes
Just heard that Christmas is coming on December 25th, that is if the world doesn't end on December 21 because of the Mayan calender. >does ghost noise<.
12-17-2012 05:48 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

a sbnation article says we're one of 4 candidates being considered by the sun belt after App State and GA Southern.
thanks to jmusuperfan for finding this article. I personally wouldn't be opposed to the sbc if and only if both app and real gsu end up joining. it is a step up in average attendance and has a comparable tv deal to what the caa has now. both leagues receive no tv payouts, so no real difference there.
Bigger travel costs are an obvious negative, worse academic reputation of the member schools.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...-expansion

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
James Madison
Jacksonville State
Chattanooga
New Mexico State
Idaho

I'm not sure if this is an specific order of preference. I would assume so if they had any sense. Chattanooga is probably below NMSU but above Idaho.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 10:42 AM by Dukes09.)
02-11-2013 10:38 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(02-11-2013 10:38 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  a sbnation article says we're one of 4 candidates being considered by the sun belt after App State and GA Southern.
thanks to jmusuperfan for finding this article. I personally wouldn't be opposed to the sbc if and only if both app and real gsu end up joining. it is a step up in average attendance and has a comparable tv deal to what the caa has now. both leagues receive no tv payouts, so no real difference there.
Bigger travel costs are an obvious negative, worse academic reputation of the member schools.

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
James Madison
Jacksonville State
Chattanooga
New Mexico State
Idaho

I'm not sure if this is an specific order of preference. I would assume so if they had any sense. Chattanooga is probably below NMSU but above Idaho.

I am a little surprised to see you say that. Even with ASU and Real GSU, this is the one conference I wouldn't go to, even though it could be used as a stepping stone. A little surprised Liberty didn't make the list. I thought they were vying for the Sunbelt pretty hard.
02-11-2013 12:57 PM
Advertisement

Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(02-11-2013 12:57 PM)JMU08 Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 10:38 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  a sbnation article says we're one of 4 candidates being considered by the sun belt after App State and GA Southern.

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
James Madison
Jacksonville State
Chattanooga
New Mexico State
Idaho

I am a little surprised to see you say that. Even with ASU and Real GSU, this is the one conference I wouldn't go to, even though it could be used as a stepping stone. A little surprised Liberty didn't make the list. I thought they were vying for the Sunbelt pretty hard.

well the sbc is definitely the bottom of the barrel and teams in this conference aren't a step up in my interest level from richmond, delaware and w&m.
i'd love to be in a conference with asu and ga southern. fcs will be further watered down with app and gsu gone. it's a difficult decision and i really don't know. either way, our admin won't go near it, so it's a moot point.

pertaining to liberty, they're begging their hearts out, i'm sure, but the interest isn't returned. I think the university's association with the late jerry falwell will forever haunt them in all but the most conservative of circles.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 01:03 PM by Dukes09.)
02-11-2013 01:01 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
i don't want to be back in bed with fake GSU either. Other than App really, not a one of these Sunbelt teams offers me anything. Not one of them.

South Alabama? Arkansas state? Merph. no thanks.
02-11-2013 02:46 PM
hburg Offline

I want the MAC or CUSA more than Sunbelt. MAC has descent football and good basketball. CUSA has a lot to prove, but they do have ODU, Marshall, and UNCC. SBC, while a up and coming conference, is not a top choice, but it would be neat to have a full time rivalry with App.
02-11-2013 03:03 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
it will be pretty interesting to see what the new make up of the "Big East" will be in it's finality. When does the Catholic 7 officially move on out? That's gonna send rattles throughout the conferences and especially those that are perceived as "lower" than the oBE, or whatever Conf. the remaining teams will form into.
02-11-2013 05:23 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

to answer your c7 question dunk, they will all join this still unnamed conference in July 2014. they're also listed as currently negotiating with the Big East to leave as early as july 2013, but that is not official yet.
This thread put together by the moderators of this site on the conference realignment subforum is very helpful if you find yourself confused as to who and what is happening.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=567087
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 06:33 PM by Dukes09.)
02-11-2013 06:32 PM
Advertisement

JMU08 Offline
1st String

Here's the site I like to look at for conference realignment. I'm not sure what the Big East is going to do. The new deal they get will give each school around $2 million, which is possibly inferior to a conference like the Mountain West. Also, keep in mind the Big East lost its two best Western schools as well, SDSU and Boise.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-...ment-grid/
02-13-2013 08:49 AM
hburg Offline

Article in the DNR and Rivals http://jamesmadison.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1472273

Quote:"They were just the one that seemed like the next in the progression to me. That's all," Wilder said. "It wasn't that I knew anything; it wasn't that someone had told me they were considering it. It wasn't any of that stuff. It was just a simple response to a question from somebody online."

The fan question: If you could recommend one team from the CAA to move up and join you in the C-USA, who would it be?

Wilder's response: "I am hopeful that eventually James Madison will make the move to Conference USA. I believe, like [East Carolina], that would create a tremendous natural rival that would be good for the league and also good for both schools."

Bad news for Wilder: Madison isn't even interested in scheduling the Monarchs as a non-conference opponent in the near future.

Wilder pegging JMU as a school that could move from I-AA to I-A isn't a surprise, or a new idea. I-A leagues - including the Mid-American Conference and the Western Athletic Conference - have sought to gauge Madison's interest in jumping to college football's top classification. JMU officials, however, have shown little interest in making any moves until I-A realignment runs its course.
02-14-2013 03:04 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

1) it's interesting to finally get the first public acknowledgement that we had contact with the WAC. there was that bogus tweet from the utah state beat writer claiming that we and jacksonville state were leading a force of eastern FCS schools to join the WAC, but clearly that was a pile of BS.
2) we're becoming "like UVA" to odu in terms of scheduling. the boohoos have dodged us since 1982 and "have nothing to gain but everything to lose" by playing us. I'm sure bourne has no confidence in his ability to beat odu at this present time, especially with them having 74 scholarships in 2013. He'd rather just dodge them all together. That's just my interpretation of it.

I like how many on the zone laughed at me for saying we've talked to the WAC, Sun Belt, MAC, and CUSA. I even heard that we had talked to the Big East at one point, but that may have been prior to Rose leaving and I'm not sure if there has been anything recently. More and more keeps surfacing and the "you can't prove that we have talked to these conferences just because you heard rumors" crowd just look wrong.
I say lets stop "talking" and start DOING. FCS becomes less financially feasible now that it's popular to stop scheduling FCS teams if you're a BCS program.
02-14-2013 05:29 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
(02-14-2013 05:29 PM)Dukes09 Wrote:  I say lets stop "talking" and start DOING. FCS becomes less financially feasible now that it's popular to stop scheduling FCS teams if you're a BCS program.

When UMass came to the MAC, it was because they actively sold themselves as being a great addition to the conference. JMU needs to take the same approach.
02-19-2013 02:21 AM
Steve1981 Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(02-19-2013 02:21 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 05:29 PM)Dukes09 Wrote:  I say lets stop "talking" and start DOING. FCS becomes less financially feasible now that it's popular to stop scheduling FCS teams if you're a BCS program.

When UMass came to the MAC, it was because they actively sold themselves as being a great addition to the conference. JMU needs to take the same approach.
We might have sold us a good addition, but this is not the reason. We were just a pawn. Temple had one year left in their contract with the MAC. Temple wanted us and without them, we probably would not have been added. Temple and UMass sign an indefinite contract that tied us together.

Contract with the MAC Check out the section 5-7 and especially 7. Notice of Withdrawl of of Temple.
02-19-2013 09:59 PM
Advertisement

Dukes09 Offline
1st String

rumors abound that we're on the short list of six potential sun belt candidates, but geographically closer schools are viewed as higher priority.

Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, New Mexico State, Idaho, James Madison and Delaware. Not necessarily in that order.
02-20-2013 11:57 PM
Dukes09 Offline
1st String

(02-21-2013 08:22 AM)fanofallthatisjmu Wrote:  Sunbelt is terrible now; still terrible even with those new schools. We would never pull the trigger on that move, and rightly so.

but if we're being talked about, does it mean jmu has expressed some level of interest? I would think they would initially contact a school to gauge interest, if it's an immediate NO, then why talk about them past that?
I don't believe jmu would pull the trigger there either, but it's still interesting.
02-21-2013 11:20 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(02-21-2013 11:20 AM)Dukes09 Wrote:  
(02-21-2013 08:22 AM)fanofallthatisjmu Wrote:  Sunbelt is terrible now; still terrible even with those new schools. We would never pull the trigger on that move, and rightly so.

but if we're being talked about, does it mean jmu has expressed some level of interest? I would think they would initially contact a school to gauge interest, if it's an immediate NO, then why talk about them past that?
I don't believe jmu would pull the trigger there either, but it's still interesting.

I guess it depends on the context of the discussion.

Within the usual 'game' that is conference rhetoric, one would expect that no school would be mentioned unless there was an understanding that acceptance would be a possibility.
So, yes it would seem that the JMU has made itself "available" for further discussion.

However, if the discussion was just a casual assessment of the best available FCS schools, then maybe not.
05-stirthepot
02-21-2013 12:04 PM
hburg Offline

I realize that many in the JMU community do not like the SBC, but it sure does beat playing football in the CAA. Not ideal, yes, but better. At least with the SBC you can bring bigger teams to your home stadium. Would love CUSA with ODU, but I am not sure how or if they will ever come to pass. Maybe Selig is working behind the scenes.
02-21-2013 04:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.