Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All Things Realignment
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
All Things Realignment
Sources have told ESPN.com that the Big Ten is in serious discussions with Maryland about adding the Terrapins as the league's 13th member.

If that occurs, the Big Ten would likely then turn to Rutgers as its 14th school. From our story:
"A source told ESPN.com that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then possibly Rutgers since they are all contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

"One source told ESPN.com that [Maryland president Wallace] Loh and [Maryland athletic director Kevin ] Anderson don't have ACC ties so there wouldn't be a strong emotional pull to stay with the conference. Loh is a former provost at Big Ten member Iowa. ...

"Both Maryland and Rutgers are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities), something vital to Big Ten presidents. The addition of the two East Coast schools would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's footprint. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers offering up the New York market and Penn State the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

"Maryland and Rutgers would also make the nation's richest conference even wealthier. Last season, each Big Ten school received a record $24.6 million in shared revenue, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. One source said the success of the Big Ten Network is an intriguing factor for Maryland."

This would obviously be huge news, but this story is still developing. Check back for updates as we have more information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_...nd-rutgers

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 02:30 PM by bearcatjim.)
11-17-2012 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Report: B1G could add Maryland, Rutgers
(11-17-2012 05:50 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Sources have told ESPN.com that the Big Ten is in serious discussions with Maryland about adding the Terrapins as the league's 13th member.

If that occurs, the Big Ten would likely then turn to Rutgers as its 14th school. From our story:
"A source told ESPN.com that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then possibly Rutgers since they are all contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

"One source told ESPN.com that [Maryland president Wallace] Loh and [Maryland athletic director Kevin ] Anderson don't have ACC ties so there wouldn't be a strong emotional pull to stay with the conference. Loh is a former provost at Big Ten member Iowa. ...

"Both Maryland and Rutgers are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities), something vital to Big Ten presidents. The addition of the two East Coast schools would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's footprint. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers offering up the New York market and Penn State the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

"Maryland and Rutgers would also make the nation's richest conference even wealthier. Last season, each Big Ten school received a record $24.6 million in shared revenue, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. One source said the success of the Big Ten Network is an intriguing factor for Maryland."

This would obviously be huge news, but this story is still developing. Check back for updates as we have more information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_...nd-rutgers

Truly a worst case scenario for the Big East. I'm guessing Maryland is gone from the ACC and you can bet the B10 wants to add both the DC and NY TV markets so Rutgers is likely to follow. My guess is the ACC invites UCONN to backfill Maryland and the Big East has lost two more charter members and the #1 TV market in New York. Could not come at a worse time with the TV deal hanging in the balance. As I've said before it just doesn't seem the Big East can move fast enough to outrun the poachers. Really sad to see the league picked apart.

11-17-2012 06:14 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
That makes zero sense. Talk about diluting your product! Their TV contract is already set and neither of those two schools bring much in terms of football watchers.

11-17-2012 06:15 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Heisman

They do bring markets for the Big Ten Network, which is a major source of Big Ten revenue.

IF this happens, and I figure it is a big if, then do the ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 feel the need to also be at 14 teams to be one of the Big Five conferences?

The article mentioned Connecticut to the ACC. Does that make Louisville/Cincinnati suddenly attractive to the Big 12? Especially if the PAC-12 grabs two more teams, which would have to be Boise State and BYU, or two Big 12 schools (Texas/Oklahoma?).

11-17-2012 06:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Rutgers might "have the New York market" but I'd love to see actual TV figures on folks tuned in to Rutgers football on an average Saturday. The same for Maryland football.

That said, if they go, they go. Nothing UC can do about it. Folks should not be delusional about UC GOING anywhere but the Big East. It's simply where we belong. We don't bring anything of value to the ACC or Big 12.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 06:26 PM by Billy_Bearcat.)
11-17-2012 06:23 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

Billy Bearcat-good points. The value UC could bring to the B12 or ACC would be a major TV market and very competitive football and basketball. But I'm mostly in agreement with you--when we are measured against other BCS programs for athletic revenue, attendance, number of men's and women's sports and success of those olympic sports, etc. we're just not invested enough. As fans we've enjoyed incredible ROI in recent years. Our only hope would be for these moves to trigger a seismic shift in conferences again with the big five shifting to a 14 or 16 team model and hoping there is a place at the table. Wishing and hoping.

11-17-2012 06:34 PM
Advertisement

CincyBearcatFan86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC/USC/Miami-FL
I'm just going to put on my "The Big East will be fine" face until UC and UL get that phone call from the Big 12 (hopefully). Maybe they like what they saw from the Keg of Nails game.

11-17-2012 06:50 PM
mbl95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Worst case for the Big East. Worst case timing since TV dollars have not been locked in. Big 10 started this whole mess 2 years ago...and just when it looked settled, they trigger it again. When does this thirst for greed result in someone sueing someone else for damages. Billions and billions of TV revenue dollars exchanging hands w/ conferences being run more like pro sports leagues than affiliations of non-profit universities. Sue 'em or tax the $$$$. Who'd kidding who....this is big business at it's most cut-throat....the tax-empt status of this is laughable as is the damages caused by the continued poaching.

The Big East was teetering......w/o Rutgers and UCONN.....what are they going to do...invite East Carolina and UAB. UC has no chance with the Big 12.

11-17-2012 06:52 PM
CincyBearcatFan86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC/USC/Miami-FL
Also don't blame ESPN for decisions made by academic administrations.

11-17-2012 06:56 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
If this happens I think I will be done with college football and maybe college sports. I've had enough of this nonsense.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 06:57 PM by bearcatfan.)
11-17-2012 06:57 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
I find this funny just for the simple fact that I have friends that went to B1G schools and they always say the conference is only going to expand if they can make a huge splash. Maryland and possibly Rutgers?? That's just expansion for the sake of expansion.

The greed of college football continues to ruin college sports.

11-17-2012 07:09 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Donators
I've quit caring about pro sports save MLB. Have not even watched an NFL game this year. I fear in 5 years I could be the same way with college football. Hard to keep investing my time and $$ with this stuff hanging over our heads constantly like the Sword of Damocles.

11-17-2012 07:14 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(11-17-2012 07:14 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I fear in 5 years I could be the same way with college football. Hard to keep investing my time and $$ with this stuff hanging over our heads constantly like the Sword of Damocles.

I feel the same way. Each year I spend more money on UC football, and I love Bearcat football. But I won't keep doing it as UC keeps getting knocked back to where they were before the 'Big" East.

11-17-2012 07:26 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Cincinnati isn't good enough for the Big 12 but my god do we need an invite in the worst way.

11-17-2012 07:27 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: CinCity Pride
I don't think the B12 wants UC in any shape or form. They had the chance to take us for the last year and weren't interested. I think Texas looks at UC the same way Ohio State looks at UC. The rest of the conference does what Texas wants.

Best bet for UC would be for another defection or two from the ACC (ie. FSU and/or Clemson) and we get included in the back fill to the ACC.

11-17-2012 08:30 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(11-17-2012 08:30 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I don't think the B12 wants UC in any shape or form. They had the chance to take us for the last year and weren't interested. I think Texas looks at UC the same way Ohio State looks at UC. The rest of the conference does what Texas wants.

Best bet for UC would be for another defection or two from the ACC (ie. FSU and/or Clemson) and we get included in the back fill to the ACC.

Yeah ACC is really our only hope out. But I suspect it is coming to fruition what people were saying when this shitstorm started 14 months ago when Pitt and Syracuse bolted (and yes it's seems like years now ).... That UC and USF will be the lone schools left without a place at the big boy table . Svcks.

If Rutgers and UConn are gone . Only time til Louisville is in the Big12 probably with BYU.

Once the first chip falls this time...it's over. Lets just hope it doesn't.

Our only way for survival then is if the Big12 grabs FSU and Clemson and then the ACC needs to backfill 3 teams (UConn louisville and UC)

11-17-2012 08:46 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Decider of UCONN's Replacement

I Root For: Dairy Whip
why do I have a really bad feeling that whatever the truth is behind further expansion UC is going to be standing there without a seat when the music stops playing...

11-17-2012 09:21 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(11-17-2012 07:14 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I've quit caring about pro sports save MLB. Have not even watched an NFL game this year. I fear in 5 years I could be the same way with college football. Hard to keep investing my time and $$ with this stuff hanging over our heads constantly like the Sword of Damocles.

Rath, aside from Bearcat games, I'm already there 03-banghead

11-17-2012 09:45 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

The scroll on ESPN makes it seem like the ACC will also lose another team (didn't see who it was) if Maryland leaves... the ACC is going to need 2 new teams...

If the ACC comes a'callin, UC needs to bolt. IMMEDIATELY.

11-17-2012 09:54 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: CinCity Pride
(11-17-2012 09:54 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  The scroll on ESPN makes it seem like the ACC will also lose another team (didn't see who it was) if Maryland leaves... the ACC is going to need 2 new teams...

If the ACC comes a'callin, UC needs to bolt. IMMEDIATELY.

If the ACC came calling, UC is gone. New ACC would basically be the old Big East (not this NBE stuff with Temple, Memphis, et al.) . Biggest hurdle will be if the ACC invited UC.

11-17-2012 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2020 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.