Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Can the football schools not take UC with them?
ccbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

UC's having huge problems right now.

Their attendance stinks, there stories basketball program is in trouble, the school's president is the most hated person in Cinci and even their own athletic programs are suing them. Plus seeing the direction of where the president plans on heading, I don't really see the situation getting better anytime soon.

Seriously if they don't shape up, could the football schools leave without them?. Especially since its almost guaranteed that ND is coming with the football schools leaving cinci would make a perfect 8/8 split inside of a 9/7 split. This could really destroy the entire athletic program of UC. Where would the football team play?

UC fan's should really be concerned about this unless there already some agreement that UC is definitely guaranteed a spot. Especially since Memphis, UCF, ECU, USM, UAB, Temple, (various MAC schools) would sell their souls to get in the new conference.
11-30-2005 09:32 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

kamuohio Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

As it relates to Football all of these issues were present when you took them in the first place. UC has never had a good football program. ITs the BB program that got them in the BE. Now that Nancy Z has fired Bob the ship is sinking quickly.

As for your replacement thought...I know we would make a good replacement and fill the same market as UC if they were dropped...Miami University that is. Not sure we would sell our soul though...
11-30-2005 09:36 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Sorry to burst your bubble pal but UC is going with the football schools no matter how much you whine about it.
12-01-2005 06:25 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

This is an idiotic thread.

In the first place - what split? Has it been announced? Gee, I missed it.

UC is in it's infancy in the Big East. Yes, there are problems right now, but we have a new athletic director starting today. He's already talking about upgrading the press box in Nippert Stadium and either a redesign of Fifth Third Arena or a new basketball arena. It looks like UC will start with a new basketball coach next season.

UC's facilities are already some of the best in the BE and are getting better. UC is not going anywhere. You don't kick a team out of a conference right after you bring them in. I'm pretty sure Tranghese knew that the basketball team was going through a change - he knew Huggins was leaving. He knew there would be some turnover in the basketball program.

I disagree that basketball alone got UC in the BE, but that really does not matter anyway.

Hopefully now that Mike Thomas is starting as AD Zimpher will let him do his job and get the athletic programs back on their feet.

And as for Miami joining, what a joke. You call our attendance bad? You have a good team and you can't get 15000 people out to watch a game!
12-01-2005 07:54 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

I wholeheartedly agree. Cincy is nothing but a basketball school, so we should just leave them with the catholic schools, Xavier, and Dayton where they belong.
Big East
Cincinnati
Xavier
Dayton
Seton Hall
St. Johns
Providence
Georgetown
Villanova
Marquette
DePaul
EAC
Louisville
USF
UCF
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Rutgers
Temple
Syracuse
Buffalo
UConn
12-01-2005 08:10 AM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

Ok, now lets see if I can get any one to post an angry response to the above :D
(It was just a joke guys)
Anyways, UC has a very young team, they weren't expected to do all that well. I'll say it again, they'll contend for the title in 2007 (and actually, maybe 06, but they'll be better in '07).
And to then rip into UC's attendance and suggest MAC schools and Temple :laugh:
Actually, UC's attendance was better than UAB's and UCF's if I'm not mistaken...so....yeah.
Bottom line, they're doing ok, and even though their president is a bit of a nutjob, we're not kicking them out.
Your application has been denied :down:
12-01-2005 08:17 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Quote:As for your replacement thought...I know we would make a good replacement and fill the same market as UC if they were dropped...Miami University that is. Not sure we would sell our soul though...

You need to lay off the crack pipe. Miami has trouble getting 17K for football when you have a good team (last year you couldn't even get to 15K!). You have no TV audience (if you did your basketball games would be on TV all the time instead of just when you play Dayton, UC, or Xavier), and your campus is a huge pain in the ****** to get to. Miami has no chance of ever getting into the Big East, and if you did, you would make it in as a travel partner to UC.

BTW; it is people like you that make Dayton, Xavier, UC, and Wright State fans hate Miami. You seem to ignore the obvious shortfalls of Miami (and they are HUUUUGE), and try to proclaim your school as best in the world...
12-01-2005 08:25 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Quote:Their attendance stinks, there stories basketball program is in trouble, the school's president is the most hated person in Cinci and even their own athletic programs are suing them. Plus seeing the direction of where the president plans on heading, I don't really see the situation getting better anytime soon.

For basketball UC is still averaging well over what South Florida has ever done, and this is in a time that UC fans are boycotting the games. I'm not worried at all for the time being, the coach who is hired in April will tell everyone if UC is going to try to compete in the Big East or if Zimpher is going to kill off what is left of UC sports...
12-01-2005 08:28 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble pal but UC is going with the football schools no matter how much you whine about it.
Absolutely, this is where they belong in all their sports. They are by far an eastern school at the end of the day.
12-01-2005 09:45 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:

kamuohio Wrote:As for your replacement thought...I know we would make a good replacement and fill the same market as UC if they were dropped...Miami University that is. Not sure we would sell our soul though...
Thank you. As a UC fan I needed a good laugh.
12-01-2005 10:40 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

This is about as stupid as it gets when it comes to threads on here!

As for Miami OH, yeah they have nice football and sometimes nice basketball, but how about no fans! Oxford is very nice and I like the school as I got in but went elsewhere, but let's be honest, they are not up there with Big East programs. I bet their athletic budget is ridiculously low compared to the BE football schools.
12-01-2005 11:07 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Hey, CCB fan, thanks for giving us a fair chance :down: Nice to hear some people want to boot us to the curb within half a year.
12-01-2005 11:47 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

ccbfan Wrote:Seriously if they don't shape up, could the football schools leave without them?. Especially since its almost guaranteed that ND is coming with the football schools leaving cinci would make a perfect 8/8 split inside of a 9/7 split. This could really destroy the entire athletic program of UC. Where would the football team play?
I don't believe that its a lock that ND would go with the football schools. In fact, my guess is that it is less than a 50-50 proposition. If you know anything about ND, you will know that the athletic department will not dictate the conference. The good Fathers who run the school will align ND with the best group of academic and athletic schools that meet the needs of the University. A few considerations: ND draws heavily from NY, DC, Chicago, and Milwaukee. What schools are located in these markets? Louiville, Syracuse, WV, and Tampa are not big draws for ND. Cincy is a wash if X joins the bball school. Rutgers and UConn are close to NY, but SJU and SH are basically in NY. PU is close to Boston, another major market for ND. The bball schools are more than holding their own in non-revenue sports. The bball schools are all Catholic, a major factor. Talk to me in 3 or 4 years as to who is best in hoops. MU starts 3 freshman and a soph. ND must have voted with the bball schools to keep the Big East together. With the basketball schools, ND has no pressure to play football games against fellow conference members. This, in turn, would leave more games for natural rivals and made for tv matchups (which means more cash for ND) And, ND would continue to keep its huge NBC contract. As a whole, the Catholic schools are perceived to be the better academic schools. Rutgers, UConn and SU are very good academic schools. Most do not consider USF, UC and UL to be in that catagory. Only DePaul can be considered to have a questionable reputation academically among the bball schools. Finally, ND has many historical athletic ties with the Catholic schools. MU and ND have played 120 times. DePaul and ND have also played quite often. ND has been in prior conferences with MU, X and Dayton.

Look, I can't say the ND will go with the bball schools. But, it is far from a lock that they will go with the football schools. In fact, the football schools may not even want them.
12-01-2005 11:49 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

MU88 Wrote:
ccbfan Wrote:Seriously if they don't shape up, could the football schools leave without them?. Especially since its almost guaranteed that ND is coming with the football schools leaving cinci would make a perfect 8/8 split inside of a 9/7 split. This could really destroy the entire athletic program of UC. Where would the football team play?
I don't believe that its a lock that ND would go with the football schools. In fact, my guess is that it is less than a 50-50 proposition. If you know anything about ND, you will know that the athletic department will not dictate the conference. The good Fathers who run the school will align ND with the best group of academic and athletic schools that meet the needs of the University. A few considerations: ND draws heavily from NY, DC, Chicago, and Milwaukee. What schools are located in these markets? Louiville, Syracuse, WV, and Tampa are not big draws for ND. Cincy is a wash if X joins the bball school. Rutgers and UConn are close to NY, but SJU and SH are basically in NY. PU is close to Boston, another major market for ND. The bball schools are more than holding their own in non-revenue sports. The bball schools are all Catholic, a major factor. Talk to me in 3 or 4 years as to who is best in hoops. MU starts 3 freshman and a soph. ND must have voted with the bball schools to keep the Big East together. With the basketball schools, ND has no pressure to play football games against fellow conference members. This, in turn, would leave more games for natural rivals and made for tv matchups (which means more cash for ND) And, ND would continue to keep its huge NBC contract. As a whole, the Catholic schools are perceived to be the better academic schools. Rutgers, UConn and SU are very good academic schools. Most do not consider USF, UC and UL to be in that catagory. Only DePaul can be considered to have a questionable reputation academically among the bball schools. Finally, ND has many historical athletic ties with the Catholic schools. MU and ND have played 120 times. DePaul and ND have also played quite often. ND has been in prior conferences with MU, X and Dayton.

Look, I can't say the ND will go with the bball schools. But, it is far from a lock that they will go with the football schools. In fact, the football schools may not even want them.
Uhh sure St. Johns and the shoe are basically in NY but if you knew the area well enough, Rutgers is basically in NY too. The New York sphere of influence is massive. Providence is about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes from Boston. I'd prefer that ND go with the non-FB schools unless they want to play conference ball which will almost guaranteed never happen.
12-01-2005 01:16 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

BullsFanatic Wrote:Ok, now lets see if I can get any one to post an angry response to the above :D
(It was just a joke guys)
Anyways, UC has a very young team, they weren't expected to do all that well. I'll say it again, they'll contend for the title in 2007 (and actually, maybe 06, but they'll be better in '07).
And to then rip into UC's attendance and suggest MAC schools and Temple :laugh:
Actually, UC's attendance was better than UAB's and UCF's if I'm not mistaken...so....yeah.
Bottom line, they're doing ok, and even though their president is a bit of a nutjob, we're not kicking them out.
Your application has been denied :down:
You had me THIS close to posting an angry response, THIS CLOSE! LOL! I didn't get to post a lot in my previous post because I was headed out to work. Anyway, for people who are saying that UC should be left out of a future Big East (only a VERY small handful think this) need to realize that this is the first time UC athletics have had any kind of turmoil. That being said we still have top of the line facilities, a young football team with upside, the basketball will be fine, this is a transition year. We WILL get a big name, quality basketball coach in here next year. Bank on it. Cincinnati is a strong basketball school with great support, media coverage, unbelievable facilities and Top 10 tradition. We will be back, bank on it. The markets speak for themselves. Ohio has Big Ten and SEC "Game of the weeks" on the major networks in this area and it allows them to recruit here. Once UC was invited to the Big East the Big East Game of the week was added to local coverage, so in the Ohio area the Big East is getting as much coverage as the Big Ten and SEC. We have strong non-revenue sports, etc., etc. Cincinnati athletics are fine ,we're not going anywhere.
12-01-2005 01:41 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

On a side note basketball wasn't the main reason UC got into the Big East. Anybody on thinks that doesn't know how conference expansion (and big business) works. You don't add a strength to a strength you add a strength to a weakness. And the Big East needed help with football and Cincinnati brought that with a decent football program, a HUGE T.V. and Media market to sell to the BCS, built in rivalries, top flight facilities, geographical compatibility and easy travel for fellow Big East schools. And a history with the Eastern schools.
12-01-2005 01:49 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Cat's_Claw Wrote:On a side note basketball wasn't the main reason UC got into the Big East. Anybody on thinks that doesn't know how conference expansion (and big business) works. You don't add a strength to a strength you add a strength to a weakness. And the Big East needed help with football and Cincinnati brought that with a decent football program, a HUGE T.V. and Media market to sell to the BCS, built in rivalries, top flight facilities, geographical compatibility and easy travel for fellow Big East schools. And a history with the Eastern schools.
Well said, Cat's Claw!
12-01-2005 01:51 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

kamuohio Wrote:As it relates to Football all of these issues were present when you took them in the first place. UC has never had a good football program.
Yeah, if you take out making bowl games 5 of the last 8 years (missing out on a bowl game by one game one of those years), UC football sucks. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, Miami doesn't bring a market a 1/3rd as big as UC, the basketball is inferior to UC's, even now, you talk about UC's attendance, UC half-asses attendance that is 5,000 to 8,000 per game better then Miami's. Putting Miami and UC's facilities in the same category would be laughable Miami has had some good football teams, but Mark Dantonio showed you last year what he can put together when he has some quality talent who is reasonably healthy. He ran through quality teams like a hot knife through butter so UC football will be just fine thank you.
12-01-2005 01:53 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

BullsFanatic Wrote:I wholeheartedly agree. Cincy is nothing but a basketball school, so we should just leave them with the catholic schools, Xavier, and Dayton where they belong.
Big East
Cincinnati
Xavier
Dayton
Seton Hall
St. Johns
Providence
Georgetown
Villanova
Marquette
DePaul
EAC
Louisville
USF
UCF
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Rutgers
Temple
Syracuse
Buffalo
UConn
Buffalo and Temple? USF? Over cincy? Good Lord.

[Image: USFowened.jpg]
12-01-2005 02:00 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

L-yes Wrote:Buffalo and Temple? USF? Over cincy? Good Lord.
Bulls Fanatic was being sarchastic.
12-01-2005 02:07 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.