Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top 25 DFividind paying stocks taking a beating since the election
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Top 25 DFividind paying stocks taking a beating since the election
The whole market is down but the real pain is in stocks that pay dividends..
11-09-2012 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Top 25 DFividind paying stocks taking a beating since the election
Yep. People cashing out now cause the know it's very likley Capital Gains taxes are going to go up dramatically.

We're also getting ready to enter another recession I think. Retailers are already warning that this holiday season will be slower than the last. Companies are laying off again, some of them in big numbers (Boeing). I think it's quite possible we're back into a recession by 2nd qtr next year.
11-09-2012 10:41 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(11-09-2012 10:41 AM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Yep. People cashing out now cause the know it's very likley Capital Gains taxes are going to go up dramatically.

We're also getting ready to enter another recession I think. Retailers are already warning that this holiday season will be slower than the last. Companies are laying off again, some of them in big numbers (Boeing). I think it's quite possible we're back into a recession by 2nd qtr next year.

Ive seen at least three big closing in Minnesota over the past couple of days.
11-09-2012 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I have talked to many people. My investment strategy revolves around buying and selling dividend stocks. I WAS GAURANTEED that nothing will happen with the 15% capital gains tax. It will kill the market. That's not going to happen.
11-09-2012 10:57 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

(11-09-2012 10:57 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I have talked to many people. My investment strategy revolves around buying and selling dividend stocks. I WAS GAURANTEED that nothing will happen with the 15% capital gains tax. It will kill the market. That's not going to happen.

I don't know who guaranteed you that Mach but the guy you pulled the lever for is very much wanting that rate to go up. To 20% actually according to his plan. For higher income people they will pay 36% and 39.6%. That's double what they pay now.

Now that may be ok to those who don't invest, but for you that's bad. Because that means they are going to put less capital into the markets which hurts you as well.

Now that's Obama's plan. With a republican house I have my doubts that he gets it. It may stay the same, but if Obama got his way it wouldn't.
11-09-2012 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(11-09-2012 10:57 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I have talked to many people. My investment strategy revolves around buying and selling dividend stocks. I WAS GAURANTEED that nothing will happen with the 15% capital gains tax. It will kill the market. That's not going to happen.

Mach, If Obama bails on raising the capitol gains then the Buffet Rule can't happen... Period.

Now the One gets a pass on breaking promises so it won't hurt him or the dems politically but it will hurt people who are invested in dividend bearing stock, the market already knows this.
11-09-2012 11:37 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater

That guarantee doesn't mean squat. You'll be at the mercy of the elected officials we have along with those coming in in 2013. We all will.
11-09-2012 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(11-09-2012 11:50 AM)miko33 Wrote:  

That guarantee doesn't mean squat. You'll be at the mercy of the elected officials we have along with those coming in in 2013. We all will.

The only thing worse than relying on elected politicians is relying on unelected bureaucrats.
11-09-2012 11:52 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
We shall see. Now maybe some of this sell of is due to that. I was told by people I trust. That 15% isn't going anywhere.
11-09-2012 12:13 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
So there will be a big selloff to lock in capital gains now, and then everyone will re-buy after the first of the year. No one has ever said I'd rather make zero money than pay a few more percentage points on my marginal tax rate. It's not like making money will cause you to go in the hole next year
11-09-2012 12:23 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

(11-09-2012 12:23 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  So there will be a big selloff to lock in capital gains now, and then everyone will re-buy after the first of the year. No one has ever said I'd rather make zero money than pay a few more percentage points on my marginal tax rate. It's not like making money will cause you to go in the hole next year

When you double the tax rate it will limit the capital coming in. That's just a reality.

Will they buy back in? Sure. Will it be the amount that it otherwise would have been? No. Because the tax implications make it less advantageous and as a result they'll move more money into investment options that don't have the tax penalty as stocks now do. Lots of them in other countries to start.
11-09-2012 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.