Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I think The "Big Apple Bowl" needs to happen fast
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

I think the Bowl sshould start as soon as possible. I assume many Cinncy,WVU,SU,Uconn,Pitt fans can deal with the cold weather. I've been to Buffalo Bills games in late December and people show up topless for those games. I think the Big East should start the bowl so we can have a "local bowl" cause going to Housten/El Paso is pretty far.

If fans of the Jets,Patriots,Giants,Bills do it I'm sure Big East fans can deal with the winter weather for a few hours in NYC
11-17-2005 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn

Stop being so "pushy" dude. It can't happen until the stadium is built. That won't be until about 2009. Then there's the issue of bowl contracts. The next wave of bowl contracts for the BCS and all leagues run 2006 until 2009. The earliest the Big Apple Bowl can take place is the 2010 season.

The Big East will be fine for the 2006 to 2009 bowl contract period. The league has the BCS, Gator/Sun, Houston, and Meineke Car Care deals. Toronto is a lock to be approved when the NCAA "officially" sanctions the new BCS title game in April. They will keep an even number of bowls (30).
11-17-2005 01:14 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Is this an indoor stadium or retractable? If this bowl is to be of New Year's quality, I don't think it would sell well for teams to be playing in frigid weather, considering many of the major programs are in the South.
11-17-2005 01:19 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

The last I heard, and read, it's supposed to be retractable. I think they're still working out who will pay what.
11-17-2005 01:25 PM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

Lemmiwinks Wrote:Is this an indoor stadium or retractable? If this bowl is to be of New Year's quality, I don't think it would sell well for teams to be playing in frigid weather, considering many of the major programs are in the South.
NYC weather in January isn't as bad as say Syracuse,Boston,Buffalo. I from personal experience would be fine with the game at the Giants stadium first few year. NYC in the winter time isn't that "frigid" living in Upstate New York is alot worst.

I think this bowl would be attractive to Big 10 anyway. I can't see SEC/ACC fans wanting to come to NYC but Ohio State,MSU,PSU,Wisconsin,Missnisotta fan have to deal with winter weather anyway. I just hate to see people say Football shouldn't be played in Cold weather when I go and see Buffalo/PPatriots/ and Giants playing and winning in the same weather
11-17-2005 01:37 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

Why do they called it “Big Apple bowl
11-17-2005 02:12 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

For the same reason that the New York Giants and New York Jets play in New Jersey :laugh:.
11-17-2005 02:45 PM
Advertisement

tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

The stadium Giants/Jets Stadium is being paid by the Giants and Jets.The retractable roof ( 150 million is being paid by the NFl),the NJSEA say they need 300 million)The NFL wants to play the super bowl there.The NJSEA might want to make the stadium an anchor bowl for the 5th BCS site.They also want to play the NCAA final four there.
11-17-2005 03:29 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Assuming the retractable roof somehow gets funded for the new stadium, I believe "The Apple Bowl" (not Big Apple Bowl) will come about.

Whether its the 5th BCS Bowl or simply a December 31st Bowl game is still to be determined. Keep in mind that the four current BCS Bowls rejected any of the other Bowls being elevated to BCS status supposedly because each wants the championship game every four years.

Cheers,
Neil
11-17-2005 03:53 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Whether its the 5th BCS Bowl
It will not be the 5th BCS Bowl. The Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta will host the national championship game as well as a 2nd bowl once every 4 years. Like this...

2006-07 Hypothetically
Jan. 1 Rose
Jan. 1 Fiesta
Jan. 1 Sugar
Jan. 1 Orange
Jan. 5 BCS Championship in Tempe, AZ.

2007-08
Jan. 1 Rose
Jan. 1 Fiesta
Jan. 1 Sugar
Jan. 1 Orange
Jan. 5 BCS Championship in Miami, FL

2008-09
Jan. 1 Rose
Jan. 1 Fiesta
Jan. 1 Sugar
Jan. 1 Orange
Jan. 5 BCS Championship in Pasadena

And so on, rotating between the four locations.
11-17-2005 04:16 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT

The BE bowl situation is light years better than it looked a few months ago. Maybe a step below the last contract, but not left for dead as the pundits predicted.
11-17-2005 05:48 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote: The BE bowl situation is light years better than it looked a few months ago.
That it is. We've actually increased the total payout.

Old Big East...
BCS 15 mil
Gator 1-2 mil
Tire 750k
Insight 750k

New Big East...
BCS 15 mil
Gator/Sun 1-2 mil
Houston 1 mil?
Tire 750k

Although I commend Tranghese not only for keeping us in the BCS and Gator, I think the fact that the Big East has more lucrative bowl tie ins post-raid is due to the fact that minimum payout bowls are going the way of the dodo. A lot of bowls are upping the payout to remain competitive and get the best conference seedings.

I thought I read that the Big East only wanted the Apple Bowl if the stadium was being built in Manhattan, which it is now not. Anyone else recall reading that or is it purely my imagination?
11-17-2005 06:06 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

The Houston Bowl for the Insight was a great move,makes it easier to get to by BE fans. But the biggest point is that all those Bowls match the BE vs the other 5 BCS conferences. That was one of the biggest drawbacks of the CUSA Bowls playing MAC,WAC,Sun Belt and MWC teams does nothing for you when you want to compare yourself to the BCS leagues
11-17-2005 07:13 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:nflsucks Posted on Nov 17 2005, 04:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote: 
Whether its the 5th BCS Bowl

It will not be the 5th BCS Bowl. The Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta will host the national championship game as well as a 2nd bowl once every 4 years.

Thanks, but I knew that. I was responding to a comment in a post that put forth the notion that the organizers of such a Bowl want it to be the 5th BCS Bowl.

And since the current Bowl contract will run out by the time an Apple Bowl is potentially created - and since the 5 plus 1 plan didn't make it this time around - you can be sure that their will be those who will push for it again in 2010, opening up the possibility that an Apple Bowl might be considered for the 5th BCS spot.

Personally, I doubt it will happen - but it might.

Cheers,
Neil
11-18-2005 12:37 AM
njndirish Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame

Get a bowl game in the Dome
11-18-2005 09:37 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

tigersharktwo Wrote:The retractable roof (  150 million is being paid by the NFl),the NJSEA say they need 300 million).
That is what the guy from New York City was referring to when typing "I think they're still working out who will pay what."

nflsucks Wrote:It will not be the 5th BCS Bowl. The Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta will host the national championship game as well as a 2nd bowl once every 4 years. Like this...
He means in the future. The next set of bowl contracts, of which the BCS double hosting rotation is a part, run from 2006 to 2009. The new stadium won't be ready until around 2009 anyway. Neil meant it's possible that the New York bowl could join the BCS rotation in 2010. We shouldn't write anything off this far in advance.

Cubanbull Wrote:The Houston Bowl for the Insight was a great move,makes it easier to get to by BE fans. But the biggest point is that all those Bowls match the BE vs the other 5 BCS conferences.
I agree and I hope that Big East fans will support the Houston Bowl better than we supported the Insight Bowl. This is almost surely a short term four year deal as the Big East will probably replace Houston with New York in 2010 but, hopefully, they can be four very good years. By the way, everyone is forgetting about Toronto, which will be bowl number five. It is going to be approved in April and will match the Big East against the MAC.

omnicarrier Wrote:Thanks, but I knew that. I was responding to a comment in a post that put forth the notion that the organizers of such a Bowl want it to be the 5th BCS Bowl.
Exactly. No one knows if the push to join the BCS rotation will succeed. It will ultimately come down to money. If the organizers in New York make the BCS an "offer they can't refuse" then the Big Apple Bowl (or Apple Bowl) will probably be in the rotation. It's that simple.
11-18-2005 01:43 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.