Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BE 16, ECU, Fresno and history
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
BE 16, ECU, Fresno and history
The WAC was formed in 1962. BYU, Utah and Wyoming were original WAC members. Colorado St joined in 1967, and Air Force joined in 1980.

New Mexico (1962) and SDSU (1978) had a long history with the WAC. UNLV was a newcomer (joining in 1996).

Fresno St came late to the WAC party, joining in 1992.

When the MWC was formed in 1998, BYU and AF were part of a group of 5 (w/Colo St, Wyoming and Utah) that invited SDSU, UNLV and New Mexico to join them.

At the time the MWC was formed, Fresno St had much better crowd support than most of the original MWC 8. Fresno averaged 35K-40K per game. They had a much better football program than UNLV and New Mexico. Yet they were snubbed.

And they were snubbed again when the MWC expanded to 9 and chose TCU instead of Fresno.

And they were snubbed again when the MWC added Boise.

Clearly, the power brokers in the MWC (BYU, Utah, AF, Wyoming, Colo St) were not interested in adding Fresno. Perhaps they viewed Fresno as a renegade school. Who knows.

For whatever reason, Fresno only got in the MWC after BYU, Utah and TCU left.

Fast forward to today. While the odds are the Big East stays at 14 and Air Force is the last school, there's a chance of going to 16 if both BYU and Air Force want to come. If so, we need a 16th.

Fresno would be an obvious choice to round out the West division. However, beginning with the Liberty Bowl director, we are starting to hear a lot more about East Carolina than Fresno.

Is East Carolina the compromise candidate? Have BYU and Air Force vetoed Fresno St again? Certainly, BYU would seem to be in a position to make demands about who it wants in the Western Division.
10-26-2012 05:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: BE 16, ECU, Fresno and history
(10-26-2012 05:20 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  The WAC was formed in 1962. BYU, Utah and Wyoming were original WAC members. Colorado St joined in 1967, and Air Force joined in 1980.

New Mexico (1962) and SDSU (1978) had a long history with the WAC. UNLV was a newcomer (joining in 1996).

Fresno St came late to the WAC party, joining in 1992.

When the MWC was formed in 1998, BYU and AF were part of a group of 5 (w/Colo St, Wyoming and Utah) that invited SDSU, UNLV and New Mexico to join them.

At the time the MWC was formed, Fresno St had much better crowd support than most of the original MWC 8. Fresno averaged 35K-40K per game. They had a much better football program than UNLV and New Mexico. Yet they were snubbed.

And they were snubbed again when the MWC expanded to 9 and chose TCU instead of Fresno.

And they were snubbed again when the MWC added Boise.

Clearly, the power brokers in the MWC (BYU, Utah, AF, Wyoming, Colo St) were not interested in adding Fresno. Perhaps they viewed Fresno as a renegade school. Who knows.

For whatever reason, Fresno only got in the MWC after BYU, Utah and TCU left.

Fast forward to today. While the odds are the Big East stays at 14 and Air Force is the last school, there's a chance of going to 16 if both BYU and Air Force want to come. If so, we need a 16th.

Fresno would be an obvious choice to round out the West division. However, beginning with the Liberty Bowl director, we are starting to hear a lot more about East Carolina than Fresno.

Is East Carolina the compromise candidate? Have BYU and Air Force vetoed Fresno St again? Certainly, BYU would seem to be in a position to make demands about who it wants in the Western Division.

From everything that has been said and written I don't think there is any way that th Big East is going to 16 schools anytime soon. With that being said BYU and AFA's, opinion of Fresno do not matter. Except for this message board I have never heard Fresno State mentioned as a candidate. Based on what has been said I think it is safe to assume that the order is 1) BYU, 2) Air Force, 3) ECU. For whatever reason, the Big East does not consider Fresno State a viable candidate and there isn't really a reason to keep speculating about FSU until someone from the league or someone from the media mentions them by name as a serious candidate.
10-26-2012 05:42 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I agree Upstream. The BE will add only 1 more. If it is BYU or AF, Navy will go west for sure. Boise, SD, Memphis, navy,Smu, UH,Navy. If ECU was #14, maybe both Louisville, and Cincy go west. Louisville could have perm crossover with USF to maintain Fla ties.
10-26-2012 07:39 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Well, we recruit FLA too.
10-26-2012 08:01 AM
dwalker85 Offline
Go Tigers Go!

I Root For: Memphis
(10-26-2012 08:01 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Well, we recruit FLA too.

If both UC and UL somehow were in the West, I doubt there will be permanent crossovers. But if there were, you could always have UCF...
10-26-2012 08:36 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(10-26-2012 08:36 AM)dwalker85 Wrote:  
(10-26-2012 08:01 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Well, we recruit FLA too.

If both UC and UL somehow were in the West, I doubt there will be permanent crossovers. But if there were, you could always have UCF...

Agree Dwalker. I thought about that right after my post. I like USF better, just because we've had some good games with them. But UCF will be a good series for us too.

UL and us can switch crossovers every two years, and both still be in FLA.
10-26-2012 08:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.