Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU monitoring The Big East situation
johniesFan99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: st johns
ECU monitoring The Big East situation
ECU'S A.D. Holland monitoring Big East situation

The independent comments of Liberty Bowl executive director Steve Ehrhart regarding East Carolina's suitability for the Big East Conference generated a wave of reaction regarding the Pirates' membership in the league which currently holds automatic qualifier status in the Bowl Championship Series.

Ehrhart now orchestrates a three-way deal involving the Big East, Conference USA and the SEC for two slots in the Liberty Bowl.

After voicing his support for the Pirates, Ehrhart subsequently explained that his contention developed from his own perceptions about ECU's viability and was not based on any kind of inside information from the Big East itself.

Ehrhart has long been impressed with the devotion of ECU fans in his 19 years with the Liberty Bowl. He made his comments initially on the air in the Memphis market and subsequently chatted with Pirate Radio.

The Pirates have courted the Big East over a period of years. ECU's accessibility via the Greenville airport and the relatively small size of the television market are generally the reasons presented as to why the Big East passed over the Pirates in its expansion wave that plucked Central Florida, Houston, Memphis and Southern Methodist from C-USA.

If the runways aren't long enough in Greenville, what about Kinston? The factor that I really don't comprehend is the TV market thing. Sure, Rutgers is in the mammoth New York market but how many viewers in the Big Apple actually watch the Scarlet Knights? The Pirates are much closer to market saturation, which apparently gets ignored in the evaluation process.

Because those two factors don't really pass the test of common sense, I'm inclined to look elsewhere for the basis of the Big East's exclusion to date of ECU.

I wouldn't doubt if the source of the problem is Louisville.

The Cardinals, who have failed to escape the Big East for greener grass in the ACC or Big 12 as have many of their former Big East brethren, have never seemed to like the Pirates. Louisville initially blocked ECU's entry to C-USA and relations between the two institutions appeared to get worse instead of better when the Pirates were admitted.

It's certainly not inconceivable to me that Louisville is still blocking ECU's access to a more desirable affiliation.

The destination of choice for the Pirates is the Big East but the numbers situations in the ACC and SEC indicate the possibility of future expansion for those leagues as well.

I like the ACC because I think it would significantly enhance regional rivalries. Anyone care about Pitt-Georgia Tech tickets? Didn't think so.

The SEC is more akin to ECU's football-first mindset. As far as the Pirates' quest over the decades for the big time, the SEC would be the ultimate destination.

What the Pirates can do at the present is work to win, particularly in football and basketball, continue to develop facilities and hope that a power conference recognizes ECU's tremendous growth and potential rather than take the bait that television interests are dangling. There is also the matter of public relations with the C-USA teams who exit after this scholastic year. I think ECU athletic director Terry Holland is astute enough to stay on good terms with UCF, Memphis, Houston and SMU because of the influence they will have in the new membership of the Big East.

Strange as it may seem, given the intensity of the ECU-UCF football series, the Knights may actually be in the Pirates' corner as an advocate to the Big East.

Holland didn't make the trip to UAB last weekend as he worked to complete the search for a softball coach. Nick Floyd, Lee Workman and J.J. McLamb represented ECU from an athletic administration standpoint as the Pirates took a 42-35 win over the Blazers at Legion Field.

But Holland remains close to the Big East dynamic.

"The Big East is focused on its television contract but the need for a fourteenth member will be there soon as Navy joins for the 2015 season," Holland said. "Whenever they get around to the fourteenth member, they may view BYU and/or Air Force as better matches, geographically and for television purposes, but we would definitely have to be interested in a full member invitation and, although more complicated, a 'football only' one as well."

ECU already has football scheduling relationships with BYU and Navy, which potentially could create more political influence within the Big East to give favorable consideration to the Pirates.

http://bonesville.net/Articles/AlMyatt/1..._Myatt.htm
10-25-2012 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: ECU monitoring The Big East situation
...nice to know...
10-25-2012 02:28 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I have no issue with ECU, if they are invited, but I think they are going to be disappointed, in the end.
10-25-2012 02:31 PM
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

I Root For: SHU
Good read...
10-25-2012 02:33 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Hmm how many pages can this one make it to? I'm going to guess a much lower number without TOGC to troll it.
10-25-2012 02:33 PM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
Murphy said no on ECU to the Big East.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/10...ent-430590
10-25-2012 02:52 PM
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I wouldn't mind ECU as a football only. Face it, their football culture is great and would be a boon to the BE. Im sure the other sports can jump to the CAA and everyone will be happy.
10-25-2012 02:55 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(10-25-2012 02:52 PM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  Murphy said no on ECU to the Big East.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/10...ent-430590

He bases his reason off of the need for L'ville and Cincy to be in the east and BSU and SDSU to have another western school....... no insider info there
10-25-2012 03:01 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I think the only way ECU gets in is if we get two out of three western schools (BYU, Air Force, Fresno) and then ECU comes in as #16.

I place the odds of that happening at one in a thousand.
10-25-2012 03:13 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
As TripleA has written, Air Force will be #14 unless BYU wants it. We're not going to 16.
10-25-2012 03:16 PM
War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
(10-25-2012 03:16 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  As TripleA has written, Air Force will be #14 unless BYU wants it. We're not going to 16.
I was hearing all day on campus that Air Force said yes. Mountain Home, Idaho is 40 minutes from Boise and a lot of those folks have friends on the team ect. I have no doubt Air Force is #14.
10-25-2012 03:25 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Complete shot in the dark regarding Louisville. Nothing to back it up other than that UofL didn't want ECU in CUSA 15 years ago. If the rest of the league wanted ECU they'd already be invited. Perhaps they are added later, but no one is being kept out by a single member.
10-25-2012 03:26 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
ECU's monitoring of the Big East "Situation:

10-25-2012 03:28 PM
Otacon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-25-2012 03:13 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  I think the only way ECU gets in is if we get two out of three western schools (BYU, Air Force, Fresno) and then ECU comes in as #16.

I place the odds of that happening at one in a thousand.

So you're saying there's a chance...?
10-25-2012 03:30 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-25-2012 03:25 PM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  
(10-25-2012 03:16 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  As TripleA has written, Air Force will be #14 unless BYU wants it. We're not going to 16.
I was hearing all day on campus that Air Force said yes. Mountain Home, Idaho is 40 minutes from Boise and a lot of those folks have friends on the team ect. I have no doubt Air Force is #14.

If that's true it makes the divisions question very easy to answer.

East
UConn
Rutgers
Temple
Cincinnatti
Louisville
USF
UCF

West
Boise State
SDSU
Houston
SMU
Memphis
Navy
Air Force
10-25-2012 03:38 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Sounds good, lets get it going and be done with it.
10-25-2012 03:52 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Unless BYU says yes. Then AFA doesn't get an invite.

And remember, I'm not 100% on AFA saying yes. Heard it from one contact. Haven't confirmed with anybody else.

However, it seems logical that could be why Aresco has never mentioned more than those two schools.
10-25-2012 03:54 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

Well you do have outstanding sources.
10-25-2012 03:56 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-25-2012 03:56 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

03-lmfao Yeah, I wouldn't call that confirmation yet.
10-25-2012 03:57 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(10-25-2012 03:57 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(10-25-2012 03:56 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  

03-lmfao Yeah, I wouldn't call that confirmation yet.

Aresco says 14 schools not 16 schools.

Aresco says minimize travel

Aresco says Cinn,Louisville are not eastern schools.

At this time 5 of the 6 western division schools for 2013 are Boise St,

SD ST,Houston and SMU and Memphis

At this time 4 of the 6 eastern division schools for 2013 are Conn,Rutgers,CFLA and SFLA.
10-25-2012 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.