ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU to Big East still be out there?
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
ECU to Big East still be out there?
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/big-east...l-uniforms

This would not be good for us (competitively or financially) and make an already weak CUSA even weaker.
10-18-2012 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: ECU to Big East still be out there?
Probably not.
I suspect the ECU is in the same boat as JMU as far as conference realignment is concerned.

I will quote again from Chris Fowler: "The SEC didn't expand in order to enhance it's football product, but instead to increase it's television footprint"

More and more this is about television dollars, and ECU doesn't have the market.
10-18-2012 09:51 AM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I'd be indifferent if they did stay or did not. I'd enjoy the regular rivalry. However, CUSA>>>>CAA in every way for our purposes. And
there is little chance this nBigEast ends up lasting in its projected form (more schools will leave). Without the automatic qualifier in the future, the only thing that the BigEast will be looking for is TV markets to make itself attractive (just how CUSA expanded, except we're not spread from coast to coast). Once TV money is renegotiated, it'll be interesting to see which league would be more financially attractive.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 10:04 AM by monarchman.)
10-18-2012 09:58 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(10-18-2012 09:51 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Probably not.
I suspect the ECU is in the same boat as JMU as far as conference realignment is concerned.

I will quote again from Chris Fowler: "The SEC didn't expand in order to enhance it's football product, but instead to increase it's television footprint"

More and more this is about television dollars, and ECU doesn't have the market.

ECU does have a large travelling fanbase which would help with bowl contracts. The quote that reignited the rumors was a Liberty bowl exec I believe.

It would be a shame to lose them from C-USA IMO but there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

BTW 78, it was good meeting you and Smitty in Richmond the other week.
10-18-2012 10:16 AM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
This article was back in August,

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...all-member

Quote:"We're looking at a 14th," he said. "I'm not talking about which ones. There are some obvious candidates, but we're not talking about raiding anyone and there are some independents that might potentially want to be a member......New Big East commissioner Mike Aresco "

Old Dominion sports would fit nicely in the Big East. Our mens and womens basketball programs have a long history of competing and winning against them. Our ranked soccer and national championship field hockey would only strengthen the conference. We already have a home for wrestling so the move would be seamless.

But this is about appeasing the western schools, Boisie State and San Diego State. AFA and BYU are the natural choices. But a fall back plan would be needed if both decline.

I strongly believe ODU has come up more than once in their meetings but the problem is football. The BE does not want to wait til 2015 to start their championship game. They want it now. They want an established program now before they start negotiating their contract.

I believe the BE will get BYU and or Air Force. If the BE does invite ECU, then CUSA will make some overtures toward Sun Belt teams. Maybe even Georgia State and it's 9th ranked TV market. Who knows.
CUSA needs a Georgia team.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 01:55 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
10-18-2012 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(10-18-2012 01:52 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  This article was back in August,

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...all-member

Quote:"We're looking at a 14th," he said. "I'm not talking about which ones. There are some obvious candidates, but we're not talking about raiding anyone and there are some independents that might potentially want to be a member......New Big East commissioner Mike Aresco "

Old Dominion sports would fit nicely in the Big East. Our mens and womens basketball programs have a long history of competing and winning against them. Our ranked soccer and national championship field hockey would only strengthen the conference. We already have a home for wrestling so the move would be seamless.

But this is about appeasing the western schools, Boisie State and San Diego State. AFA and BYU are the natural choices. But a fall back plan would be needed if both decline.

I strongly believe ODU has come up more than once in their meetings but the problem is football. The BE does not want to wait til 2015 to start their championship game. They want it now. They want an established program now before they start negotiating their contract.

I believe the BE will get BYU and or Air Force. If the BE does invite ECU, then CUSA will make some overtures toward Sun Belt teams. Maybe even Georgia State and it's 9th ranked TV market. Who knows.
CUSA needs a Georgia team.
In the event ECU leaves, CUSA would definitely go after SB programs, but I doubt Ga. State would be one of them.

I think it'd most likely be WKU and MTSU.

I'd love to see WKU. They'd add more basketball credibility to the conference. MTSU I'm indifferent about, but I'd rather see Ohio.

None are a replacement for ECU for Charlotte and ODU. ECU is a program that would generate a lot of excitement for our programs.
10-18-2012 02:06 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Definitely agree with Monarchman's comment "However, CUSA>>>>CAA in every way for our purposes".

That is all that matters.

Sure playing in a league with ECU helps our profile, but we're going to keep improving no matter what happens. We'd just be more focused on rivalries with So Miss, La Tech, Marshall and the others. No biggie. We got here in 4 years without ever being in a league with ECU, so ODU is gonna keep rolling no matter where ECU plays.
10-18-2012 02:15 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

Evidently Harry Minium thinks

Quote:Harry Minium‏@Harry_MiniumVP

It would be a huge blow for ODU football to lose East Carolina as a Conference USA rival to the Big East.

I'm sure ODU's leadership forsaw this as a possibility before accepting the invitation.

But I really don't think ECU is their first choice. And that's what would bother me if I were an ECU fan. I mean, really? To apply to the BE, get snubbed several times and finally get invited after the BE exhausted all options? That would really piss me off.

"We really didn't want you but you're all that's left"

I mean, could you imagine the disingenuous official announcement coming from the Big East? Oh now the Big East thinks ECU will be a fine addition to the conference. lol BUIISHIT.
10-18-2012 11:40 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-18-2012 11:40 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  Evidently Harry Minium thinks

Quote:Harry Minium‏@Harry_MiniumVP

It would be a huge blow for ODU football to lose East Carolina as a Conference USA rival to the Big East.

I'm sure ODU's leadership forsaw this as a possibility before accepting the invitation.

But I really don't think ECU is their first choice. And that's what would bother me if I were an ECU fan. I mean, really? To apply to the BE, get snubbed several times and finally get invited after the BE exhausted all options? That would really piss me off.

"We really didn't want you but you're all that's left"

I mean, could you imagine the disingenuous official announcement coming from the Big East? Oh now the Big East thinks ECU will be a fine addition to the conference. lol BUIISHIT.

Of course it bothers ECU fans. I doubt anything comes of this, and even if somehow it did I have all ideas we'd probably start a yearly OOC series with you guys anyway. Terry Holland thinks extremely highly of what you guys are doing, and whether or not we are in a league together in 2015 (I'm betting we are) you will undoubtedly be a regular fixture on our football schedule.
10-19-2012 10:56 AM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-18-2012 10:16 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(10-18-2012 09:51 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Probably not.

ECU does have a large travelling fanbase which would help with bowl contracts. The quote that reignited the rumors was a Liberty bowl exec I believe.

It would be a shame to lose them from C-USA IMO but there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

BTW 78, it was good meeting you and Smitty in Richmond the other week.
You too!
That was fun. Glad you could make it. I hope you are able to get to more games, especially the ones we win. 04-cheers
10-19-2012 02:26 PM
Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

I would prefer to keep ECU in CUSA for obvious reasons, but I don't think losing them would be a death blow for a couple of reasons. First, ECU is a football school. As Bonds pointed out, we would probably have them on our schedule regularly regardless of conference affiliation. Second, ODU fans are going to be equally/more jazzed about playing our neighboring ACC teams, which I believe will be a regular feature on our schedule. Let's face it, in football, if you aren't playing for a national championship, it's the local rivalries that are important. Finally, if ECU bolts, CUSA will probably add some combination of WKU/MTSU/Ohio/Etc. which would be an upgrade in basketball.

Back to my original point. I hope ECU stays. If not, we'll be fine. And we'll probably end up in the Big East with them and Charlotte anyway at some point!
10-19-2012 03:13 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
While i feel East Carolina deserved to be in the Big East a long time ago, i hope this rumor has no legs because i look forward to the rivalry. Plus if they don't go and we do awesome in the mean time, when the next round of realignment hits i believe we will get the invite over them.
10-20-2012 01:29 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2012 01:29 AM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  While i feel East Carolina deserved to be in the Big East a long time ago, i hope this rumor has no legs because i look forward to the rivalry. Plus if they don't go and we do awesome in the mean time, when the next round of realignment hits i believe we will get the invite over them.
True. However, Terry Holland was a major voice behind us getting into the CUSA. It would be great to have him as an advocate in the Big East is well.
10-20-2012 09:28 AM
Advertisement

Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

Terry Holland wouldn't be as much of a factor in the Big East as he is in CUSA now. ECU is much more important to CUSA than to the Big East.
10-20-2012 11:13 AM
bushwack Offline
Water Engineer

(10-20-2012 01:29 AM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  While i feel East Carolina deserved to be in the Big East a long time ago, i hope this rumor has no legs because i look forward to the rivalry. Plus if they don't go and we do awesome in the mean time, when the next round of realignment hits i believe we will get the invite over them.

In all honesty, personally I have no interest in the Big East. If we continue to grow and build all of our sports the way we have, I would rather go after an ACC spot in 20 years rather than the Big East. To me the Big East is barely standing, and it's map is everywhere with Boise St. in the Big East, really?

Will UVA & VT want us in the ACC? Most likely not, but if we do things the right way, they may not have a choice because of how much of a potential power we can be if things are done properly.
10-20-2012 12:38 PM
The Lion King

Well there is a clear pecking order in football conferences ACC> Big East> CUSA, small chance of us skipping a step. If things shake out the way i think they might, conferences are going to end at 16, Tech to the SEC, possibly UVA to the B1G. When everything settles look for the the rest of the ACC and the Big East to merge. That's would be our only way into the ACC.
10-20-2012 12:57 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

The ACC isn't splitting up. It has a 50 million dollar exit fee. And when Notre Dame eventually brings in their football to the conference along with Penn State, the ACC will be set.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/13326...ove-to-acc
10-20-2012 11:05 PM
The Lion King

Penn State will never leave for the ACC. FSU and Clemson have expressed displeasure with ACC football. SEC want to expand to 16 one day and expand their footprint, enter Tech and NC State. Pitt, Syracuse Virginia and Maryland fit B1G profile. Now you're down to 8. Rebuild with Big East teams. UCONN, Rutgers, South Florida, Louisville and Cincy if they didn't go Big XII. ODU can get in to bridge the gap.
10-20-2012 11:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.