ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off Topic - Ga State is LITERALLY buying fans!
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Off Topic - Ga State is LITERALLY buying fans!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...=hp_t12_a0

Quote:Promotion of the week
How does an athletic department convince students at a commuter school to come watch an 0-5 team play New Hampshire? Straight cash, homey. Georgia State students will be brought on to the field, where $10,000 in cash will be dropped from the rafters. I was curious as to whether Georgia State basketball post players, who would have an obvious cash-grabbing advantage because of their height, wingspan and leaping ability, could participate given the NCAA's rules against extra benefits. So I asked John Infante, a former athletic department compliance officer and the author of the essential Bylaw Blog, for an interpretation. Infante wrote that since the cash drop is open to any student, then it would not qualify as an extra benefit for a Georgia State athlete. To all those grabbing for the cash, good luck in the scrum.

How utterly pathetic is that???

They are having a cash drop at mid field to get students to show up.

Remember when their fans tried to tell us how they are going to pass us in a matter of a year or two?

Actually, it's more likely that in a year or two, they will no longer even have a football team.

Sad sad sad. Just makes you further appreciate what we have built here are ODU! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 03:05 AM by Razor Ramon Monarch.)
10-11-2012 03:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

RE: Off Topic - Ga State is LITERALLY buying fans!
Actually, just realized this already happened. Here is what the "excitement" looked like.

Imagine if you were a player or a recruit looking at that? You had to literally buy fans to show up and you still couldn't get more than a couple hundred. Wouldn't you be horrified? Wouldn't you question what you were even doing?

Yikes.

[Image: M0RKV.jpg]
10-11-2012 03:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarch Nation Offline
Bench Warmer

It was what we thought it would be.
10-11-2012 06:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU True Blue Online
All American

As only John McLain could say so well, "Welcome to the party pal!"

Been reported on all the discussion boards, including this one for over a week.....
10-11-2012 07:19 AM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Per Harry...

"In one day, Georgia State added games against three Top 5 football teams: Alabama (2013), West Virginia (2013), & Oregon (2015)."

At least they will get paid well...
10-11-2012 07:52 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Ga. State is a trainwreck. So glad Charlotte will be playing in a small stadium that will, at least for the first couple seasons, be at capacity.

I'm glad we're doing more of the ODU approach than the Ga. State approach. Playing off campus in a stadium that is way too large would be awful.
10-11-2012 12:41 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

(10-11-2012 07:52 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Per Harry...

"In one day, Georgia State added games against three Top 5 football teams: Alabama (2013), West Virginia (2013), & Oregon (2015)."

Goodness. What an inept Athletic Department. It's amazing a school of that size would allow such an embarrassment to continue in this fashion. I do feel sorry for them, this football program has given the school much more bad PR than good.
10-11-2012 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Stanger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
(10-11-2012 07:52 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Per Harry...

"In one day, Georgia State added games against three Top 5 football teams: Alabama (2013), West Virginia (2013), & [undefined=undefined]Oregon (2015)[/undefined]."

Will they still be around to play Oregon in 2015????
10-11-2012 10:54 PM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I honestly feel bad for them. Also feel blessed to have what we are building. We are likely to win a championship in our 4th year. Seriously?
10-11-2012 11:10 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Once they get new leadership and are in the FBS, I believe they'll start to improve. Once they start hosting FBS opponents, I believe they'll see an improvement in attendance too.
They've invested in their practice facilities. I do not think they're pulling the sport anytime soon.

I wish them good luck. Maybe if they succeed, we'll see them in CUSA and their 9th ranked TV Market. lol
10-12-2012 12:55 AM
Advertisement

ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

We aren't "likely to win a Championship in our 4 th year". And before we get too cocky, it it very possible our fans are going to get a rude awakening come next year.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 08:02 AM by ODU1986.)
10-12-2012 08:01 AM
MonarchReign Offline
Water Engineer

(10-12-2012 08:01 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  We aren't "likely to win a Championship in our 4 th year". And before we get too cocky, it it very possible our fans are going to get a rude awakening come next year.

I agree that we aren't "likely" to win a championship this year, but I would say we have just about as good a shot as anyone else (except maybe ND State). But I am for one am over hearing every year the same line - just wait until next year, you/we are in for a rude awakening. I don't get it. Why are we in for a rude awakening? Because we are going up against Div 1 teams for the first time? Because we probably won't be spending the first month of the season beating teams 54-7? We will again be going back to being undersized and out-manned for a few of our games?

Maybe some of the more casual fans won't understand why we aren't 5-0/7-1/9-2 etc, but I believe most of us know what to expect the next couple years as we again wait our turn. I love the chance to play UNC and I have heard rumors about several more similar teams that we will play next year. I fully expect us to be competitive against all the teams I have heard. Not expecting to beat any or all of them, but we won't be laughed off the field either.
10-12-2012 08:25 AM
qnelson Offline
Water Engineer

(10-12-2012 08:25 AM)MonarchReign Wrote:  Maybe some of the more casual fans won't understand why we aren't 5-0/7-1/9-2 etc, but I believe most of us know what to expect the next couple years as we again wait our turn. I love the chance to play UNC and I have heard rumors about several more similar teams that we will play next year. I fully expect us to be competitive against all the teams I have heard. Not expecting to beat any or all of them, but we won't be laughed off the field either.

True but a fallout from the casual fan can still have a pretty big effect. For instance the "casual" fan left the UNH game at halftime and it was still a pretty prevalent topic of discussion afterwards. Now imagine if those same casual fans just never show up to the game, or support football, and so on. Now the thing we have going for us is that we have a lot of die hard fans, judging from the wait list numbers more then enough to cover the lost of casual fans, but its never a good thing if any part of the student body, who are comprised of a lot of casuals, lose interest.
10-12-2012 09:30 AM
Advertisement

MonarchReign Offline
Water Engineer

But it was so hot that day :) I am kidding, you are absolutely right about the number of folks that dipped that day. Half my group was right with them. I liken next year to the program's second year. We were probably more competitive in year 1 than most expected but nobody knew what we were yet and we certainly had a rise is competition coming.

I didn't consider the students - who knows how they would respond to a tough year or two. I can foresee some gaps there for the 2 transition years. I think season tickets "sales" will not fall off at all as people get ready for CUSA. Actual butts in seats may suffer if we are struggling.
10-12-2012 11:02 AM
monarchman Offline
1st String

(10-12-2012 11:02 AM)MonarchReign Wrote:  But it was so hot that day :)

Actually, it really was hot as hell that day. I'll admit I finished watching the game at the Monarch Grill. Granted, I wasn't feeling all that well either.
10-12-2012 12:13 PM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

(10-12-2012 08:01 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  We aren't "likely to win a Championship in our 4 th year". And before we get too cocky, it it very possible our fans are going to get a rude awakening come next year.

Yeah ok.
10-12-2012 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.