Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Churches to challenge IRS with Pulpit Freedom Sunday
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

I honestly want to know what the opinions on the right are of this? Not a flame-starting thread or making any accusations of anyone on the right in general, but I want to know what the general feeling is about this?
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 10:22 PM by UCF08.)
10-08-2012 10:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Churches to challenge IRS with Pulpit Freedom Sunday
I'm one of these people that say the 1st amendment is "freedom of Religion"... not "freedom FROM religion".

The 1st amendment says what the GOVT cannot do, not what the Churches cannot do.

When too many people out there want to legislate what I consider "anti-Christian" or "anti-Religious" messages. And Churches are not allowed to "respond" without fear of being attacked by the same govt. That's WAY TOO much of govt'al overreach.
10-08-2012 10:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-08-2012 10:41 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I'm one of these people that say the 1st amendment is "freedom of Religion"... not "freedom FROM religion".

The 1st amendment says what the GOVT cannot do, not what the Churches cannot do.

When too many people out there want to legislate what I consider "anti-Christian" or "anti-Religious" messages. And Churches are not allowed to "respond" without fear of being attacked by the same govt. That's WAY TOO much of govt'al overreach.

But is losing a tax benefit a punishment? Do we really want to give tax breaks to political parties masquerading as religions?
10-08-2012 10:44 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Personally, I'm in favor of doing away with the tax-exempt status for Churches.. but then you have to do away with the "political speech limitations" that the govt. forces on Churches
10-08-2012 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-08-2012 10:54 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Personally, I'm in favor of doing away with the tax-exempt status for Churches.. but then you have to do away with the "political speech limitations" that the govt. forces on Churches

That's the only thing they're threatening, to take away the tax-exempt status. They're not able to stop them from taking political stances but if they want to be run as a tax-exempt non-profit, they can't do so.
10-08-2012 10:59 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-08-2012 10:21 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Churches to challenge IRS with Pulpit Freedom Sunday

I honestly want to know what the opinions on the right are of this? Not a flame-starting thread or making any accusations of anyone on the right in general, but I want to know what the general feeling is about this?

Telling any group of people, in any circumstance, that they can not discuss politics spits in the face of the first amendment.
10-08-2012 11:40 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(10-08-2012 10:44 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 10:41 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I'm one of these people that say the 1st amendment is "freedom of Religion"... not "freedom FROM religion".

But is losing a tax benefit a punishment? Do we really want to give tax breaks to political parties masquerading as religions?

First of all a Church that happens to endorse a candidate in an election year is not "A political party masquerading as religion" any more than any other non profit, you know like planed parenthood or NOW, endorsing a candidate makes them a political party.

Secondly yes taking away tax exempt status is a punishment.
10-08-2012 11:44 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(10-08-2012 11:40 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 10:21 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  Churches to challenge IRS with Pulpit Freedom Sunday

Telling any group of people, in any circumstance, that they can not discuss politics spits in the face of the first amendment.

Bingo. The government should take a hike.
10-08-2012 11:53 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-08-2012 11:53 PM)Claw Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 11:40 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Bingo. The government should take a hike.

So then should be give tax exempt status to political parties?
10-09-2012 12:01 AM
OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

I Root For: Old Dominion
This past Sunday Jerry Falwell Jr. Delivered a sermon about leadership with a backdrop of the Oval Office. He was very careful in his wording, but he made a clear point tgat leadership is vacant in Obama. Great sermon.
10-09-2012 05:21 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
If my church participates...I will walk out and not come back. I have made my opinion of mixing religion and politics very clear to my pastor. I am not alone in this sentiment.

I am totally in favor of removing the tax exempt status of churches and all other organizations. Repeal the system. Replace it with a consumption tax. Problem solved.
10-09-2012 05:41 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(10-09-2012 05:41 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  I am totally in favor of removing the tax exempt status of churches and all other organizations. Repeal the system. Replace it with a consumption tax. Problem solved.

Good point. Often one difficult issue is a result of a bad decision earlier down the line.

(10-08-2012 11:40 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Telling any group of people, in any circumstance, that they can not discuss politics spits in the face of the first amendment.

And that's a HR. Excellent point.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 07:30 AM by DrTorch.)
10-09-2012 07:11 AM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
(10-08-2012 10:59 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 10:54 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  Personally, I'm in favor of doing away with the tax-exempt status for Churches.. but then you have to do away with the "political speech limitations" that the govt. forces on Churches

That's the only thing they're threatening, to take away the tax-exempt status. They're not able to stop them from taking political stances but if they want to be run as a tax-exempt non-profit, they can't do so.

It seems like the 47% who don't pay federal taxes have tax exempt status and still have political speech. They get to vote and everything. Religious bigots like you make me sick. You and other far lefties have made attacking Christianity more than a passing hobby and have tried to legislate it out of existence. I hope every church attacks the left and it changes the turn out of the election. Then I sincerely hope the left tries to make removing their tax status part of their platform. That will destroy your dear Democrat party for generations.

Now you go back on ignore. You little punk bi7ch.
10-09-2012 07:17 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

It will be great for the country when God has to pay the taxman.
10-09-2012 07:19 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I was reading Jim Tressel's book over the summer. It's called the Winner's Manual and it was published by a Christian Publisher. If any of you run a business it's a worthwhile read. He talks about the role of the church and how it's losing it's influence amongst the youth of America. I believe the church or some churches have become too political to attract people. It's a split message and I think it's easy to point out the hypocrisy. I'll look up the survey he quotes in the book. It would be an excellent thread starter actually. Get politics out of the church!
10-09-2012 07:39 AM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

(10-09-2012 07:39 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I was reading Jim Tressel's book over the summer. It's called the Winner's Manual and it was published by a Christian Publisher. If any of you run a business it's a worthwhile read. He talks about the role of the church and how it's losing it's influence amongst the youth of America. I believe the church or some churches have become too political to attract people. It's a split message and I think it's easy to point out the hypocrisy. I'll look up the survey he quotes in the book. It would be an excellent thread starter actually. Get politics out of the church!

I see whats going on as the Church fighting back. I agree that if politicians stayed out of the church the church would stay out of politics. I don't see the church as the one who started this quarrel.
10-09-2012 07:44 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
It's one of those things where both lose in my opinion. It's like that War Games movie when I was a kid. The computer figures out that the only way to win is "not to play". This is a direct provocation though aimed at getting a response.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 08:05 AM by Machiavelli.)
10-09-2012 08:04 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
I think it's important to define what one views as "political" speech.

Militants like Kurciff think if a preacher does a sermon about how abortion is wrong, or gay marriage is wrong, he's engaging in political speech. That's in no way political speech.

I personally don't think pastors should endorse candidates from the pulpit. They should preach God's word and tend to the spiritual well being of their congregations. Let those lessons, if they are embraced, guide their voting decisions.
10-09-2012 08:18 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-09-2012 05:41 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  If my church participates...I will walk out and not come back. I have made my opinion of mixing religion and politics very clear to my pastor. I am not alone in this sentiment.

I left a church when I couldn't take the political noise any more.

Voting, to me, is as personal a decision as any a person makes, and I don't want to be hectered to about it from the pulpit. He didn't see it that way.

Pastor told me it was his Christian duty. I told him, "Knock yourself out, pal."
10-09-2012 08:38 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(10-09-2012 07:39 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I was reading Jim Tressel's book over the summer. It's called the Winner's Manual and it was published by a Christian Publisher. If any of you run a business it's a worthwhile read. He talks about the role of the church and how it's losing it's influence amongst the youth of America. I believe the church or some churches have become too political to attract people. It's a split message and I think it's easy to point out the hypocrisy. I'll look up the survey he quotes in the book. It would be an excellent thread starter actually. Get politics out of the church!

Which chapter covered cheating?
10-09-2012 09:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.