Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bucs go largely unnoticed by Yahoo! Sports
Bookmark and Share
BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
MyBB Bucs go largely unnoticed by Yahoo! Sports
copied from: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-...ncaab.html

Atlantic Sun Preview: Which team will capitalize on Belmont’s departure?

[Image: uspw_5766982.jpg]
Langston Hall and Mercer are the Atlantic Sun favorites (US Presswire)

In the past seven seasons, Belmont has won or shared the Atlantic Sun title four times, made five NCAA tournament appearances and finished no worse than second in the regular season standings.

Such dominance raises the following question: How will the league fill the void now that the Bruins are off to the Ohio Valley Conference?

Nobody appears ready to inherit the role of the Atlantic Sun's flagship program from Belmont, but there are three or four teams capable of succeeding the Bruins as league champs next spring. In particular, Mercer, Florida Gulf Coast and South Carolina Upstate have enough returning talent to challenge for the league crown.

The slim favorite next season is probably Mercer, which returns four starters from a 27-win team that finished tied for second in the Atlantic Sun last season and won the CIT tournament. Guard Langston Hall is a player of the year candidate in the league and forward Daniel Coursey is the conference's premier shot blocker.

If Mercer falls short of its league title aspirations, Division I newcomers USC Upstate or Florida Gulf Coast could be in position to claim their first Atlantic Sun championship. The Spartans boast reigning league player of the year, Torrey Craig, and an improving supporting cast, while the Eagles feature a more balanced attack headlined by returning guard Sherwood Brown and Iowa State transfer Eric McKnight.

MAKING A LIST
Best shooter: Jerron Granberry, North Florida
Best playmaker: Russell Powell, Jacksonville
Best defender: Daniel Coursey, Mercer
Coach on the rise: Andy Enfield, Florida Gulf Coast
Coach on the hot seat: Scott Sanderson, Lipscomb
Three must-see games: 1. Miami at Florida Gulf Coast, Nov. 13 (Marquee home opener for the Eagles); 2. Mercer at Georgia, Dec. 18 (The Bears beat Georgia Tech last year. Can they do it to Georgia?); 3. VCU at East Tennessee State, Jan. 2 (Big coup for the Bucs getting VCU at home)

[Image: Screen-shot-2012-09-22-at-6.59.13-PM.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2012 10:54 PM by BucSinceTheSixties.)
09-29-2012 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Bucs go largely unnoticed by Yahoo! Sports
I certainly think Mercer is the best team this year. After that it could be anyone. I think ETSU could finish anywhere from 2-6 in the conference depending on how the teams chemistry is.
09-30-2012 08:25 AM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Mullins did say after killing football that basketball would go to the next level. I think he has achieved that.
09-30-2012 08:39 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(09-30-2012 08:39 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Mullins did say after killing football that basketball would go to the next level. I think he has achieved that.

He certainly has. As ETSU continues its slide in athletics, there are those on here who do not believe that Mullins should be fired. Let's find a way to ease him out without "offending" anyone. What if he don't want to leave? Can ETSU afford to wait him out? How much more offensive can it get to the reputation of ETSU as he continues "administering" the school's athletic decline? Even without Belmont, ETSU is becoming just another also-ran in our flagship sport. What a sorry, sorry state of affairs. ETSU always looking out for the in-crowd, good 'ol boys/girls at the expense of the university. How long will Noland put up with this athletic department?
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2012 09:48 AM by Buc66.)
09-30-2012 09:43 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
If you've got the dollars, call Dr. Noland Monday morning. Walk in there with a suitcase full of cash and tell him that here's Mullins buyout money and some seed money towards the PAC. Otherwise, move on and let Dr. Noland do his job.
ETSU has had the good ol' boys club for years, including some folks that you might hero worship. Don't forget that.

(09-30-2012 09:43 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 08:39 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Mullins did say after killing football that basketball would go to the next level. I think he has achieved that.

He certainly has. As ETSU continues its slide in athletics, there are those on here who do not believe that Mullins should be fired. Let's find a way to ease him out without "offending" anyone. What if he don't want to leave? Can ETSU afford to wait him out? How much more offensive can it get to the reputation of ETSU as he continues "administering" the school's athletic decline? Even without Belmont, ETSU is becoming just another also-ran in our flagship sport. What a sorry, sorry state of affairs. ETSU always looking out for the in-crowd, good 'ol boys/girls at the expense of the university. How long will Noland put up with this athletic department?
09-30-2012 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.