Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Changing cultures-making people care
Bookmark and Share
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Changing cultures-making people care
So most of you who have read stuff I've posted on here can probably figure out I went to Battle. In my time up there, we were a whopping 6-34, and until a couple of years ago held the record for the fewest points scored in a season (0-10, outscored 544-44, six shutouts).
Last night, with all apologies to swvabucsfan and his son, they rolled Abingdon.
The change in the culture at a school that's largely been known for:
1. Teachers behaving inappropriately with students - three I can think of and there's a fourth but I'm not recalling the name.
2. A teacher who kept a bottle of bourbon in her drawer (honestly one of the better US History teachers I've had, I knew my stuff).
3. A teacher who was once busted for stealing cheese then later did prison time for selling blow.
4. Same dealing teacher got his nephew mixed up in it and HE did time after selling to an undercover agent.
5. Student apathy in sports and REALLY BAD FOOTBALL.

Battle at one time almost lost its' accreditation as a high school (Sound familiar?) when one day they just turned the corner. Amidst the politics, bickering and running off just about every good teacher they'd had (Randy Smith stayed, somehow), things started turning around. Students and parents united, and it's taken 6-7 YEARS but last night showed the culmination of dedication and hard work. And yes it's just high school, but I believe that a success story such as what's going on up there can be used as a model. Sadly, I couldn't be there last night to witness it. I can truly say I had something more important to do involving family, but I kept up with it. And in the process, I saw posts from Battle graduates in DC, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama. People wishing they could've been a part of it. For the first time in 52 years, people CARED.
That's what can happen at ETSU, stop the bitching and moaning about the past mistakes, fact is just like at Battle, they're a part of our history. Sad as it may be, from the blow dealing teacher to the other sister football coach scrogging the water girl, we accept it. But just as Battle has done, ETSU can do. Accept what happened, turn that page, roll up your sleeves, email the committee for 125 members, tell them what you want to see as an alumni. Offer not just the suggestions, but offer the blueprint of how to get there and how YOU CAN HELP, whether it be through financial support, volunteering, whatever.
The difference with ETSU and John Battle, is while folks were following from all the places I mentioned, with ETSU they wouldn't just be following, we'd have some come in as well.
Cheers guys, and while ETSU football won't play today, still enjoy what should be a great fall Saturday in the south.
09-29-2012 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Changing cultures-making people care
(09-29-2012 07:39 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  So most of you who have read stuff I've posted on here can probably figure out I went to Battle. In my time up there, we were a whopping 6-34, and until a couple of years ago held the record for the fewest points scored in a season (0-10, outscored 544-44, six shutouts).
Last night, with all apologies to swvabucsfan and his son, they rolled Abingdon.
The change in the culture at a school that's largely been known for:
1. Teachers behaving inappropriately with students - three I can think of and there's a fourth but I'm not recalling the name.
2. A teacher who kept a bottle of bourbon in her drawer (honestly one of the better US History teachers I've had, I knew my stuff).
3. A teacher who was once busted for stealing cheese then later did prison time for selling blow.
4. Same dealing teacher got his nephew mixed up in it and HE did time after selling to an undercover agent.
5. Student apathy in sports and REALLY BAD FOOTBALL.

Battle at one time almost lost its' accreditation as a high school (Sound familiar?) when one day they just turned the corner. Amidst the politics, bickering and running off just about every good teacher they'd had (Randy Smith stayed, somehow), things started turning around. Students and parents united, and it's taken 6-7 YEARS but last night showed the culmination of dedication and hard work. And yes it's just high school, but I believe that a success story such as what's going on up there can be used as a model. Sadly, I couldn't be there last night to witness it. I can truly say I had something more important to do involving family, but I kept up with it. And in the process, I saw posts from Battle graduates in DC, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama. People wishing they could've been a part of it. For the first time in 52 years, people CARED.
That's what can happen at ETSU, stop the bitching and moaning about the past mistakes, fact is just like at Battle, they're a part of our history. Sad as it may be, from the blow dealing teacher to the other sister football coach scrogging the water girl, we accept it. But just as Battle has done, ETSU can do. Accept what happened, turn that page, roll up your sleeves, email the committee for 125 members, tell them what you want to see as an alumni. Offer not just the suggestions, but offer the blueprint of how to get there and how YOU CAN HELP, whether it be through financial support, volunteering, whatever.
The difference with ETSU and John Battle, is while folks were following from all the places I mentioned, with ETSU they wouldn't just be following, we'd have some come in as well.
Cheers guys, and while ETSU football won't play today, still enjoy what should be a great fall Saturday in the south.

Well said. I think the culture is about to change for the better at ETSU.The strength of Dr. Noland's personality will push it over the hump and we all can be proud again and will have a reason to come to the campus on Saturday's and enjoy the atmosphere once again.
09-29-2012 09:12 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

It takes more than complaining. The committee's are forming. Get in their ears.
09-29-2012 08:08 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

As a crazy Buc fan...I have traveled far and wide to watch them. There is one basketball fan I have met who attends every game...not just home...every game. This embodies the old ETSU marketing phrases from the seventies..."catch Buc fever." My prayer is that a contagious Buc fever spreads throughout the Tri-Cities to make "game day" have special meaning. It can happen, it did happen. That's how ETSU beat out Tennessee for the medical school. It happened when Les Robinson and team became a happening...causing a 4-peat if Southern Conference Tournament Championships...making Asheville a special place. Now we have a president who understands the power of athletics and what they can do for the University. Imagine an AD with know-how capitalizes on a winning team...ETSU may never look back at the pitiful attendance days of 4K crowds for football. I just hope I live long enough to see it! The golden age of my life were created by the glory days of ETSU basketball...when Buc fans took over the city of Asheville. I believe with all my heart that a spark like that with knowledgeable leaders...ETSU will never look back and become what it is meant to be...like Middle Tennessee State.[/quote]
09-30-2012 05:00 AM
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2012 05:00 AM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  As a crazy Buc fan...I have traveled far and wide to watch them. There is one basketball fan I have met who attends every game...not just home...every game. This embodies the old ETSU marketing phrases from the seventies..."catch Buc fever." My prayer is that a contagious Buc fever spreads throughout the Tri-Cities to make "game day" have special meaning. It can happen, it did happen. That's how ETSU beat out Tennessee for the medical school. It happened when Les Robinson and team became a happening...causing a 4-peat if Southern Conference Tournament Championships...making Asheville a special place. Now we have a president who understands the power of athletics and what they can do for the University. Imagine an AD with know-how capitalizes on a winning team...ETSU may never look back at the pitiful attendance days of 4K crowds for football. I just hope I live long enough to see it! The golden age of my life were created by the glory days of ETSU basketball...when Buc fans took over the city of Asheville. I believe with all my heart that a spark like that with knowledgeable leaders...ETSU will never look back and become what it is meant to be...like Middle Tennessee State.
[/quote]

I have heard the term "sleeping giant" applied to ETSU over the years.Who know's what Dr. Noland is going to accomplish the next few years with his energy and know how?
09-30-2012 08:44 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Very much so it can be. There's no reason that ETSU shouldn't be competitive in football, and with this economy and the NFL level ticket pricing in high major football, it should be a unifying, viable option.
I'm of the belief that if you close ranks recruiting the FCS level talent around a four hour radius of the school, particularly kids from Maryville, Alcoa, Farragut, Bearden, CAK it'll work. Sprinkle in the few that the immediate area could provide and then start to win fans. Do whatever it takes to get people there, show them a good time, and most of all get them to COME BACK.
09-30-2012 02:48 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2012 02:48 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Very much so it can be. There's no reason that ETSU shouldn't be competitive in football, and with this economy and the NFL level ticket pricing in high major football, it should be a unifying, viable option.
I'm of the belief that if you close ranks recruiting the FCS level talent around a four hour radius of the school, particularly kids from Maryville, Alcoa, Farragut, Bearden, CAK it'll work. Sprinkle in the few that the immediate area could provide and then start to win fans. Do whatever it takes to get people there, show them a good time, and most of all get them to COME BACK.

Absolutely right. There are schools like Dobyns-Bennett, Greeneville, Elizabethon, Science Hill, Richlands, etc, right around here that could produce FCS players for us. And the greater Knoxville area has always been good recruiting for the Bucs. We need to get back in the game and start recruiting those players once again.
09-30-2012 05:57 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

It's also a challenge to all of the programs in Southwest Virginia/Northeast Tennessee. These kids have a shot at a free education, and play close to home. All they need to do is be ready and recruitable.
And as fans/alums we have got to show POSITIVE SUPPORT to these committee folks as they get together. If you want to make the posts on here calling for heads, then it's within your right to do so. However when it comes to addressing these folks, former university presidents, current presidents from other schools, business leaders, lawyers and I think on the list is even a few judges, be clear, be concise. State your cases of why football should return, use the numbers, ask questions like why they just dropped 750K on a videoboard for a program that hasn't won a conference title or been to the NCAA's, ever? And is that videoboard going to make the difference in on field performance?
The people on this committee will be turned off by the "Clean house, fire Dave" attitude. If things go the way I think it will, the positions of A.D. and SWA will take care of itself.
09-30-2012 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.