Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBC has money for you guys...
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
NBC has money for you guys...
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...LB-TV.aspx

...because they lost out on getting MLB from ESPN, FOX and TBS.

FOX and TBS kept their packages with FOX moving some of their games to an all-sports cable network (the rumored flipping of SPEED into an all-sports network)
09-19-2012 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: NBC has money for you guys...
(09-19-2012 03:24 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...LB-TV.aspx

...because they lost out on getting MLB from ESPN, FOX and TBS.

FOX and TBS kept their packages with FOX moving some of their games to an all-sports cable network (the rumored flipping of SPEED into an all-sports network)
Good news all around, assuming NBC is willing to let go of any money for anything, lol. So far, they really haven't, besides the NHL.
09-19-2012 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-19-2012 03:25 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Good news all around, assuming NBC is willing to let go of any money for anything, lol. So far, they really haven't, besides the NHL.

That really is the other part.
09-19-2012 03:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
TBS is doling out money for sports.... I'd much rather be there than NBC.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 03:28 PM by adcorbett.)
09-19-2012 03:28 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(09-19-2012 03:28 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  TBS is doling out money for sports.... I'd much rather be there than NBC.

As I've said before, in terms of an all-sports network competitor to ESPN, it's really Fox that has the best chance of gaining legit traction as opposed to NBCSN. Looking at this new MLB deal, the new Fox Sports One is going to take some of the regular season Saturday and playoff games, which is on top of the Big 12, UFC, and soccer (UEFA, Champions League, World Cup) rights that the cable channel has access to. That's much more of a foundation to build a competitor to ESPN than what NBCSN has.
09-19-2012 03:51 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I'm not so sure it's NBC not willing to pay, as it is multiple networks working together to beat NBC bids... no one network has beat them in any bid recently... they won NHL, MLS, Racing, & Golf contracts...
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 03:58 PM by IceJus10.)
09-19-2012 03:53 PM
Advertisement

monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
fox sports national is also someone that hopefully will be bidding
09-19-2012 03:58 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
JUST MAKE IT RAIN ARESCO

I DON'T CARE HOW
09-19-2012 04:01 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(09-19-2012 04:01 PM)justinslot Wrote:  JUST MAKE IT RAIN ARESCO

I DON'T CARE HOW

ACCESS and PROMOTION and PR and SATURDAY TIME SLOTS ≥ Money

Aresco and others already noted...the the conf won't automatically take the top $$$ offer...unless that same offer meets ALL of his requirements for access/promo/pr/SATURDAY game time slots for football, etc...

The new conf will need a ton of FREE airtime to help promote the "new" conf....and thats something NBC said they could do...(something ESPN has rarely ever done).
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:05 PM by KnightLight.)
09-19-2012 04:05 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(09-19-2012 03:53 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I'm not so sure it's NBC not willing to pay, as it is multiple networks working together to beat NBC bids... no one network has beat them in any bid recently... they won NHL, MLS, Racing, & Golf contracts...

You could argue that NBC got outbid by ESPN, Fox and Turner combined. Or you could argue that NBC got outbid on three separate packages. Which I would say is more accurate.

I was surprised when MLB re-upped with ESPN, actually. I thought that, with all the smoke Comcast is blowing about NBC-SN, they would drop $2B a year on the table, just under triple the current total, for the whole enchilada and see if ESPN, Turner and Fox would top THAT offer.

I don't see a lot of evidence that Comcast is throwing a ton of money out to build up NBC Sportsnet.
09-19-2012 04:19 PM
AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, North Dakota
The only other TV contract that NBC could really get besides the Big East stuff is getting the new NASCAR tv contract. So I would be absolutely shocked if they don't get the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:20 PM by AuzGrams.)
09-19-2012 04:20 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(09-19-2012 03:51 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(09-19-2012 03:28 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  TBS is doling out money for sports.... I'd much rather be there than NBC.

As I've said before, in terms of an all-sports network competitor to ESPN, it's really Fox that has the best chance of gaining legit traction as opposed to NBCSN. Looking at this new MLB deal, the new Fox Sports One is going to take some of the regular season Saturday and playoff games, which is on top of the Big 12, UFC, and soccer (UEFA, Champions League, World Cup) rights that the cable channel has access to. That's much more of a foundation to build a competitor to ESPN than what NBCSN has.

I'd be okay with Fox, if it mean some expsore on F/X as well as the new fox sports station. But since there would be more basketball than they coudl handle on their own.... copartner TBS 02-13-banana
09-19-2012 04:24 PM
ponydawg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(09-19-2012 04:19 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I was surprised when MLB re-upped with ESPN, actually.

I heard the MLB got nervous that ESPN would advise the ACC to pick up the Miami Marlins and Cleveland Indians. Guess they dodged a bullet there. COGS
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:31 PM by ponydawg.)
09-19-2012 04:30 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
One piece of good news in the OP link is that this likely pushes Fox to go ahead with converting the Speed Channel into a national sports network, which would put one more legit bidder into the BE contract process.
09-19-2012 04:43 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-19-2012 04:24 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  I'd be okay with Fox, if it mean some expsore on F/X as well as the new fox sports station. But since there would be more basketball than they coudl handle on their own.... copartner TBS 02-13-banana

I've heard that the goal is to pull the sports from F/X and on to FOX Sports ONE. F/X would go back to being an entertainment channel full time. F/X is being used as a bridge until that channel is up and running.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:52 PM by mattsarz.)
09-19-2012 04:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-19-2012 04:19 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(09-19-2012 03:53 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I'm not so sure it's NBC not willing to pay, as it is multiple networks working together to beat NBC bids... no one network has beat them in any bid recently... they won NHL, MLS, Racing, & Golf contracts...

You could argue that NBC got outbid by ESPN, Fox and Turner combined. Or you could argue that NBC got outbid on three separate packages. Which I would say is more accurate.

I was surprised when MLB re-upped with ESPN, actually. I thought that, with all the smoke Comcast is blowing about NBC-SN, they would drop $2B a year on the table, just under triple the current total, for the whole enchilada and see if ESPN, Turner and Fox would top THAT offer.

I don't see a lot of evidence that Comcast is throwing a ton of money out to build up NBC Sportsnet.

Why would they go for the MLB package for NBC Sports content? They can fill up thier sports channel and fill out thier Saturday college football schedule on the NBC flagship far cheaper with the Big East package. College sports sells for about 10-15% the cost of professionsl sports. They could vastly over pay and still come out way ahead. Dont know the exact figure, but I wouldnt be surprised if college football easily outdraws the MLB--at a much lower price point.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 04:54 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-19-2012 04:52 PM
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
(09-19-2012 03:51 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Does the Big East really care if NBC is looking to compete with ESPN or not? I don't really think so, we're just looking for a good pay day, optimal scheduling time, help with expansion, and help with owning a large scale bowl, with quality production of the games/shows regarding the Big East....after that doesn't really matter. As long as they have the cash to do it right for us in all aspects I stated above, we can be 5th in line behind ESPN, Fox, TBS, etc....
09-19-2012 04:55 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-19-2012 04:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(09-19-2012 04:19 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Why would they do that. They can fill up thier sports channel and fill out thier Saturday college football schedule on the NBC flagship far cheaper with the Big East package. College sports sells for about 10-15% the cost of professionsl sports. They could vastly over pay and still come out way ahead. Dont know the exact figure, but I wouldnt be surprised if college football easily outdraws the MLB--at a much lower price point.

Saying "College football gets such-and-such ratings" doesn't mean "Big East college football will get such-and-such ratings." Rutgers ain't Penn State, Houston ain't the Longhorns, UCF ain't FSU, etc etc etc.

The thing about MLB baseball for TV programming is that there is a buttload of it. If they wanted to, they could put 1-2 games a week on NBC, 5-6 on NBC-SN and 5-7 a week on MLB Network. For 6 months, plus spring training coverage.

And having MLB--and being the only national channel with MLB--would put NBC-SN on the map in a way that the Big EAst just doesn't.

The first google hit for "mlb game of the week ratings" was a week in June with the NBA finals, US Open and a NASCAR race. Sunday Night Baseball drew 1.2M on ESPN, "regional coverage" on FOX drew 2.0 million viewers. MLB on NBC-SN would have pretty much guaranteed half a million viewers a night for NBC-SN, 5-6 nights a week, for 6 months. Instead of 63,000 people watching the MLS New York Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire. http://deadspin.com/5919646/a-big-bang-t...in-context
09-19-2012 05:12 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-19-2012 04:55 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Does the Big East really care if NBC is looking to compete with ESPN or not?

It matters, because we'd rather not be hidden on a channel nobody watches (even if everybody has the channel on their cable system).

ESPN and the major networks have the advantage that people check out what's on those channels just to see. Maybe they stay, maybe they keep looking. But they check. ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox also have other shows that people watch, so they can show promos for other programming. NBC-SN can run Big East promos on every commercial break during their MLS games, but only 60,000 people are going to see them, so it does no good.
09-19-2012 05:15 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(09-19-2012 04:05 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(09-19-2012 04:01 PM)justinslot Wrote:  JUST MAKE IT RAIN ARESCO

I DON'T CARE HOW

ACCESS and PROMOTION and PR and SATURDAY TIME SLOTS ≥ Money

Aresco and others already noted...the the conf won't automatically take the top $$$ offer...unless that same offer meets ALL of his requirements for access/promo/pr/SATURDAY game time slots for football, etc...

The new conf will need a ton of FREE airtime to help promote the "new" conf....and thats something NBC said they could do...(something ESPN has rarely ever done).

IIRC, the NHL TURNED DOWN more money from ESPN during their latest TV contract negotiations b/c they felt that NBC could do more for their product than EPSN. The NHL would of had to compete with MLB, NFL, NBA and NCAA sports among other programing if they remained at ESPN.

What happened?

The NHL has experienced a revival as a league in terms of merchandise sales, TV ratings and attendance. Of course, its even more bewildering why they are having a labor issues....AGAIN.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 05:18 PM by CyberBull.)
09-19-2012 05:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.