Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boy, the new BE members picked the wrong time to stink
TennTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Boy, the new BE members picked the wrong time to stink
Houston getting blown out by UCLA 24-0. 03-banghead

SMU got pounded today at home to Texas A&M. 03-banghead

Memphis got blown out to Middle Tennessee State 48-30 although fumbling 6 times. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

Navy got blownout by a group of leftovers at Penn State. 03-banghead

I'm not trying to be negative or pessimistic or a Debbie Downer but I am concerned that the current showings won't impress the networks when we ask for the $14-18 million a team. Even NBC might now rethink it. Let's hope that Louisville, Rutgers, and Boise State can keep on winning and build interest.
09-15-2012 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BSUFiend Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise State
RE: Boy, the new BE members picked the wrong time to stink
To be fair UCLA and Texas A&M have new coaches that have them playing well. No excuse for Memphis and Navy though.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2012 11:48 PM by BSUFiend.)
09-15-2012 11:47 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
They really only judge you by the top of the conf. If you have numerous top ranked teams, they your conf. is considered good, regardless of how bad the bottom is.
09-15-2012 11:48 PM
UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
Yeah I agree. I am shocked at how ****** they have been. I was hoping for at least a little something, but we have gotten nothing so far.
09-15-2012 11:50 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(09-15-2012 11:46 PM)TennTiger Wrote:  Houston getting blown out by UCLA 24-0. 03-banghead

Memphis got blown out to Middle Tennessee State 48-30 although fumbling 6 times. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

I'm not trying to be negative or pessimistic or a Debbie Downer but I am concerned that the current showings won't impress the networks when we ask for the $14-18 million a team. Even NBC might now rethink it. Let's hope that Louisville, Rutgers, and Boise State can keep on winning and build interest.

Relax dude... Houston has a good football program... we just need our new coaching staf and our freshmen to settle down. 04-cheers
09-15-2012 11:59 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I was just about to post this as a new thread. I'll add my comments here instead:

We know it hasn't been all sunshine for every current member to open the season, but overall it's been a brutal opening month for the new members. Let's recap after three weeks:

Boise: 1-1 as expected with their personnel losses. Handled Miami easily and had a shot to beat MSU in Lansing. If they can beat BYU on Thursday they may finish 11-1 with a weak remaining schedule.

UCF: 2-1 as expected. Beat FIU & Akron at home, lost at OSU. Potential for solid season but bowl ineligible.

Houston: 0-2, soon to be 0-3. It couldn't look more different from last season. Crushed by new FBS member Texas St, give up 56 at home to La Tech, and losing 24-0 in the 3rd to UCLA. Season outlook.... who knows, but it's not looking pretty.

SDSU: 2-1 in uninspiring fashion. Thrashed Army, lost at UW, and got a 60 minute battle today to beat FCS North Dakota while giving up 40+. Should easily be bowl bound with a weak schedule, can they do more?

SMU: 1-2. This record was expected. What was not expected was being 100% uncompetive against Baylor and A&M, as they surrendered 107 points combined in the two contests. Looking like the SMU of old, and I don't mean pre-death penalty old.

Navy: 0-2. The Irish look good so we'll excuse getting crushed by Notre Dame. Losing 34-7 to PSU looks much worse. They may be the worst bowl eligible team in the country by Thanksgiving due to a joke of a schedule.

Memphis: 0-3. I was expecting 2-1 even knowing they would be bad. They are supposedly showing progress despite losing to FCS UT-Martin, Arkansas St, and getting whipped by MTSU. Appear headed for 1-11 or a winless season unless execution improves.

Clearly conference affliations are not decided on a single season, much less three weeks. Let's hope we see some improvement however or preseason media discussion next year will be more negative than ever.
09-16-2012 12:02 AM
Advertisement

War Torn Ruston Offline
Banned

I Root For: Boise State
BYU who is everyone's favorite to add is getting spanked by Utah yet again. 24-7.
09-16-2012 12:15 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(09-15-2012 11:48 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  They really only judge you by the top of the conf. If you have numerous top ranked teams, they your conf. is considered good, regardless of how bad the bottom is.

Kinda yes...they judge you mostly by the number of viewers. I would say BSU and UL are helping right now...Cincy tbd. Too bad basketball only draws 20-25% of the TV $$ these days.
09-16-2012 12:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
These additions are looking great guys, keep it up!
09-16-2012 12:17 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(09-16-2012 12:02 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  I was just about to post this as a new thread. I'll add my comments here instead:

We know it hasn't been all sunshine for every current member to open the season, but overall it's been a brutal opening month for the new members. Let's recap after three weeks:

Boise: 1-1 as expected with their personnel losses. Handled Miami easily and had a shot to beat MSU in Lansing. If they can beat BYU on Thursday they may finish 11-1 with a weak remaining schedule.

UCF: 2-1 as expected. Beat FIU & Akron at home, lost at OSU. Potential for solid season but bowl ineligible.

Houston: 0-2, soon to be 0-3. It couldn't look more different from last season. Crushed by new FBS member Texas St, give up 56 at home to La Tech, and losing 24-0 in the 3rd to UCLA. Season outlook.... who knows, but it's not looking pretty.

SDSU: 2-1 in uninspiring fashion. Thrashed Army, lost at UW, and got a 60 minute battle today to beat FCS North Dakota while giving up 40+. Should easily be bowl bound with a weak schedule, can they do more?

SMU: 1-2. This record was expected. What was not expected was being 100% uncompetive against Baylor and A&M, as they surrendered 107 points combined in the two contests. Looking like the SMU of old, and I don't mean pre-death penalty old.

Navy: 0-2. The Irish look good so we'll excuse getting crushed by Notre Dame. Losing 34-7 to PSU looks much worse. They may be the worst bowl eligible team in the country by Thanksgiving due to a joke of a schedule.

Memphis: 0-3. I was expecting 2-1 even knowing they would be bad. They are supposedly showing progress despite losing to FCS UT-Martin, Arkansas St, and getting whipped by MTSU. Appear headed for 1-11 or a winless season unless execution improves.

Clearly conference affliations are not decided on a single season, much less three weeks. Let's hope we see some improvement however or preseason media discussion next year will be more negative than ever.

Jury's still out on our postseason.
09-16-2012 12:44 AM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
(09-16-2012 12:15 AM)War Torn Ruston Wrote:  BYU who is everyone's favorite to add is getting spanked by Utah yet again. 24-7.

Can't knock em too hard. They've won 10+ games 5 of the past 6 seasons, have a 5-1 bowl record in that time, and are 11-9 over that time span against BCS teams (including today's loss).
09-16-2012 02:11 AM
Advertisement

SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
As for the new BE members, Boise State did just fine today with a victory.

And while the Aztecs had a scary victory against a very good offensive North Dakota team, the Aztecs are 2-1.
09-16-2012 02:23 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Its next year those newbies will have to produce. By the way with Michigan stte losing yesterday. Who is the Big Ten standard bearer? OSU is ineligible so tat leaves Michigan State, Michigan, wisconsin or Nebraska, all ave already lost one and some are lucky to not have lost more than nce.
09-16-2012 07:40 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-16-2012 07:40 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Its next year those newbies will have to produce. By the way with Michigan stte losing yesterday. Who is the Big Ten standard bearer? OSU is ineligible so tat leaves Michigan State, Michigan, wisconsin or Nebraska, all ave already lost one and some are lucky to not have lost more than nce.

Purdue might be the best BIG team this year.
09-16-2012 07:45 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-15-2012 11:46 PM)TennTiger Wrote:  Houston getting blown out by UCLA 24-0. 03-banghead

Navy does not join until 2015. If SMU and Houston struggle this year that is ok. Next year would be the wrong year to struggle, not this year.
09-16-2012 07:47 AM
jonny8 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: AAC & Tigers
It will take Memphis football a few years to improve talent level just as it took Cincy when they went to the BE. Football has never been a priority, but it is now. Have a little patience please.
09-16-2012 08:03 AM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
Can't really defend today's showing. June and Gilbert are holding this program hostage right now.
09-16-2012 08:17 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(09-16-2012 12:02 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Clearly conference affliations are not decided on a single season, much less three weeks. Let's hope we see some improvement however or preseason media discussion next year will be more negative than ever.

That's the most important point! The top few teams change all the time, we didn't just add the flavor of the month. We added teams that had all had recent success, but also were in big markets with huge upside potential. Give them nBE $$$ and recruiting for just a few years, and watch what happens.

BSU won two BCS bowls from the WAC, UH was a couple scores from a BCS game last year from CUSA. UCF finished ranked a few years ago. Even Temple and SMU have hit a few bowl games recently. Navy won the Texas Bowl a few years ago.

I'm not worried about a few games, or even this season. We made all the right choices. I'm building a conference that will last decades. I get that by securing major cities, huge schools, good rivalries.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 08:20 AM by Bull.)
09-16-2012 08:17 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(09-16-2012 08:17 AM)Comet Wrote:  Can't really defend today's showing. June and Gilbert are holding this program hostage right now.

I know how you feel. Some Bulls are feeling the same way about our coach and QB... still a TBD, but we'll see.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 08:21 AM by Bull.)
09-16-2012 08:19 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Baylor and A&M are better than SMU. I have no problem with those losses. But those teams are not 40+ points better than SMU. I just don't get it.

SMU slightly outplayed Baylor in the first half, but SMU shot itself in the foot over and over with stupid penalties, etc. In the other game, SMU and A&M were scoreless in the middle of the second quarter. Then A&M scored 6 TD's in the next 20 minutes.

There were some bright spots. SMU plays well in these type of games until things go wrong, then the dam breaks and it gets ugly really quick.

It's a work in progress.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2012 08:49 AM by UConn-SMU.)
09-16-2012 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.