Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where is the Houston game thread????
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Wink Where is the Houston game thread????
Losing to Texas St 30 - 13 with about 2 minutes left in the game.
09-01-2012 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
RE: Where is the Houston game thread????
It's mentioned in multiple other threads. Don't worry though, I heard Aresco mention in a radio interview Friday that the league office DID confirm receipt of ECU's 29th BE application. Hd said he'll be sure to review it thoroughly!
09-01-2012 10:18 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
No one cares about C-USA teams, especially ones that suck.
09-01-2012 10:19 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies
HOUSTON IS STILL A C-USA SCHOOL
09-01-2012 10:22 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
If losing by one point to an AQ team that went to a bowl game last year is hilarious, what does that make getting curb stomped by an FBS newbie?
09-01-2012 10:23 PM
ImsogladIwenttotheUofM Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Was Dennis Franchione considered for the Houston job after Kevin Summerlin left?

Saw the 2nd half after heading for shelter from the Tiger's game. He certainly had TX State ready to play.
09-01-2012 10:25 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Ill go ahead and count this as a SBC win over Big East 03-drunk
09-01-2012 10:27 PM
FonzKnight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(09-01-2012 10:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Ill go ahead and count this as a SBC win over Big East 03-drunk

The Sun Belt is obviously much better than the BEast now

01-wingedeagle
09-01-2012 10:33 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(09-01-2012 10:33 PM)FonzKnight Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 10:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Ill go ahead and count this as a SBC win over Big East 03-drunk

The Sun Belt is obviously much better than the BEast now

01-wingedeagle

If thats what you got out of my post then 01-wingedeagle
09-01-2012 10:40 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Sorry guys!
We knew there would be some growing pains after losing Sumlin (along with a great deal of our staff), Case, and the WRs... As well as implimenting the 4-3 again (after having success last year as a 3-4 team under our old DC...)
And, our worst fears have been realized.
David Piland doesn't look any better than he did as a true freshman, and we did a horrible job at getting Charles Sims (our best player) involved.
Hopefully the staff will take a long look at the game film and make the appropriate schematic and personnel adjustments.
There is a lot of talent on that team but you never would have known it because our QB couldn't get the ball within 5 yards of our playmakers. Our offense was very bland and didn't incorporate the motion and misdirection that made us so dangerous with Case. Our defense improved in the second half, but it was for naught.

The lone bright spot is that we get to work on our issues before we start Big East play.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 10:43 PM by BigEastHomer.)
09-01-2012 10:42 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(09-01-2012 10:42 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Sorry guys!
We knew there would be some growing pains after losing Sumlin (along with a great deal of our staff), Case, and the WRs... As well as implimenting the 4-3 again (after having success last year as a 3-4 team under our old DC...)
David Piland doesn't look any better than he did as a true freshman, and we did a horrible job at getting Charles Sims (our best player) involved.
Hopefully the staff will take a long look at the game film and make the appropriate schematic and personnel adjustments.
There is a lot of talent on that team but you never would have known it because our QB couldn't get the ball within 5 yards of our playmakers. Our offense was very bland and didn't incorporate the motion and misdirection that made us so dangerous with Case. Our defense improved in the second half, but it was for naught.

The lone bright spot is that we get to work on our issues before we start Big East play.

Houston had a very good quarterback and coach, the concern I had with them in the Big East was if they were more than just those two...let's just say this game does nothing to make me feel confident.
09-01-2012 10:46 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-01-2012 10:22 PM)Psicosis Wrote:  HOUSTON IS STILL A C-USA SCHOOL

And we appreciate that one year transition period. 04-cheers
09-01-2012 10:48 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-01-2012 10:46 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Houston had a very good quarterback and coach, the concern I had with them in the Big East was if they were more than just those two...let's just say this game does nothing to make me feel confident.

At the very least, you can feel confident in our recruiting.

The talent is there, although I'm wondering if it's at the backup spot at the quarterback position.

This will be a season of trial and error as our new coach learns the ropes.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 10:51 PM by BigEastHomer.)
09-01-2012 10:51 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-01-2012 10:46 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  

Houston had a very good quarterback and coach, the concern I had with them in the Big East was if they were more than just those two...let's just say this game does nothing to make me feel confident.

My concern with Levine from the begining was that he had no offensive/defensive coordinator experience. I think he has the personality to be successful--but he needed to be surrounded by top notch assistants. Sadly, I dont think that was done. Nesbittt--was a OC at mighty Stephen F Austin--an FCS school in Texas. His offense looked lost and unimaginitive. He appeared to be all tempo and little strategy.

Worse than that was the defensive hire. After an exhaustive nationwide search for a top flight DC--it was determined that Jamie Bryant--the Houston linebacker coach--was the best possible candidate in the entire universe. Yes, some Cougar faithfull were skeptical--but we were drowned out. By the way, Bryant had a 2 year stint as defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt. Those 2 years were not pretty. Tonight Texas State ran up 30 points on a defense that returned 8 starters from a very successfull 2011 unit. Bryants a joke.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 12:37 AM by Attackcoog.)
09-02-2012 12:32 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(09-01-2012 10:48 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Exactly ... as far as I'm concerned, this year is a final dress rehearsal for the new schools. Do what you can to win your conference, etc. But you have a year to get ready for the Big East.

Of course, winning this year would also help in our TV negotiations. So let's have no more Texas State games.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 01:23 AM by UConn-SMU.)
09-02-2012 01:21 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-02-2012 01:21 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 10:48 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Exactly ... as far as I'm concerned, this year is a final dress rehearsal for the new schools. Do what you can to win your conference, etc. But you have a year to get ready for the Big East.

Of course, winning this year would also help in our TV negotiations. So let's have no more Texas State games.
Well, don't count on us for much this year. UT-Martin was our easiest game on the schedule.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 07:31 AM by TripleA.)
09-02-2012 07:31 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

Houston had a very good quarterback
and coach, the concern I had with them in the Big East was if they were more than just those two...let's just say this game does nothing to make me feel confident.

Houston 3rd year QB Piland, started 8 games for UH in 2010 when Keenum was hurt...and averaged 330 yds passing per game.

When Keenum came back last year, Piland redshirted...but last night, Piland struggled mightily, as he was just 17-44 for 211 yds.

UH should have ran the ball more last night...especially when they were averaging 5 yds per rush...but their fast spread offense, it focused almost solely on the pass is do or die...because their defense might get maybe 1-2 mins of rest when UH's offense can't convert on 3rd down.

Texas State had the ball last night for almost 44 minutes...and UH won't win many games when they have the ball for just 16 mins.

Texas State RAN for 250 yds against UH's tired defense.

As the saying goes, sometimes your best defense is a GOOD RUSHING OFFENSE.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 08:50 AM by KnightLight.)
09-02-2012 08:29 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-02-2012 08:29 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

and coach, the concern I had with them in the Big East was if they were more than just those two...let's just say this game does nothing to make me feel confident.

Houston 3rd year QB Piland, started 8 games for UH in 2010 when Keenum was hurt...and averaged 330 yds passing per game.

When Keenum came back last year, Piland redshirted...but last night, Piland struggled mightily, as he was just 17-44 for 211 yds.

UH should have ran the ball more last night...especially when they were averaging 5 yds per rush...but their fast spread offense, if focused almost solely on the pass is do or die...because their defense might get maybe 1-2 mins of rest when UH's offense can't convert on 3rd down.

Texas State had the ball last night for almost 44 minutes...and UH won't win many games when they have the ball for just 16 mins.

I agree with this. RB Charles Sims is the best player on the Coogs this year. He needs to touch the ball, either by hand-off or via a screen, etc.. He didn't get his share of touches last night.

I've never been impressed with Piland. We have talent on our bench that I'm hoping we'll take a closer look at. Our OC needs to make the necessary adjustments.
09-02-2012 08:46 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(09-02-2012 08:46 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

UH should have ran the ball more last night...especially when they were averaging 5 yds per rush...but their fast spread offense, if focused almost solely on the pass is do or die...because their defense might get maybe 1-2 mins of rest when UH's offense can't convert on 3rd down.

I agree with this. RB Charles Sims is the best player on the Coogs this year. He needs to touch the ball, either by hand-off or via a screen, etc.. He didn't get his share of touches last night.

I've never been impressed with Piland. We have talent on our bench that I'm hoping we'll take a closer look at. Our OC needs to make the necessary adjustments.

Sometimes, OC's don't even consider one second what their fast tempo offense does to their team's defense...especially if they continue to fail on 3rd down (UH was 1-13 on 3rd down conversions).

UH's New HC has to come up with a much better formula, INSIST that his OC call more running plays (and/or have his QB audible, when appropriate from passing play to running play at line of scrimmage), because if a new Div I-A team like Texas State (first I-A game, moved up from I-AA) can run 250 yds against your tired D at HOME...if UH's offense can't control the ball for more than 16 mins a game, that end result might come up way too many times this season.

College football is not a video game...the BEST DL/OL tend to win most games.
09-02-2012 08:53 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-02-2012 08:53 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 08:46 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Sometimes, OC's don't even consider one second what their fast tempo offense does to their team's defense...especially if they continue to fail on 3rd down (UH was 1-13 on 3rd down conversions).

UH's New HC has to come up with a much better formula, INSIST that his OC call more running plays (and/or have his QB audible, when appropriate from passing play to running play at line of scrimmage), because if a new Div I-A team like Texas State (first I-A game, moved up from I-AA) can run 250 yds against your tired D at HOME...if UH's offense can't control the ball for more than 16 mins a game, that end result might come up way too many times this season.

College football is not a video game...the BEST DL/OL tend to win most games.

I agree with everything you just said.

I was hoping that Coach Levine would insist we RUN more at halftime last night. Instead, we saw Piland continue to just skip the ball off the grass, like he was George Washington with a silver dollar.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 08:58 AM by BigEastHomer.)
09-02-2012 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.