Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did NCAA just let UNC off?
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/520353...BD3.cnnsi1

I have no idea how UNC works, but this is an outrage if that's the case. How do they punish UCONN for APR issues when UNC essentially issued fake grades for their fake classes? I am no expert, but shouldn't fake As be punished for APR issues?
08-31-2012 03:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: Did NCAA just let UNC off?
And ucf gets a bowl ban plus loss of scholarships and we didn't even successfully cheat. The NCAA needs to be reviewed.
08-31-2012 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
In May, UNC made public an internal probe that found 54 AFAM classes were either "aberrant" or "irregularly" taught from summer 2007 to summer 2011. That included unauthorized grade changes, forged faculty signatures on grade rolls, and limited or no class time.

UNC has said that no student received a grade without submitting written work. But more than 50 percent of the students in those suspect classes were athletes. As first reported by The News & Observer of Raleigh, one class last summer had an enrollment of 19 -- 18 football players and one former football player.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...t-violated
08-31-2012 03:57 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Maybe they bought their way out of penalties, like Penn State
08-31-2012 04:01 PM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
Slightly off topic: 03-lmfao

1, What conference does North Carolina University belong too?

2, Who owns the broadcasting rights to that conference?

3, How important is North Carolina University to the ACC?

3, What conference will UCF be playing in next year?

4, Who owns the broadcasting rights for that conference, (Not gonna be ESPN)?

5, How important is UCF to it's new conference?

My guess is that the answer to question #2, doesn't care about the answer to question #5. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 04:07 PM by Mestophalies.)
08-31-2012 04:06 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-31-2012 03:57 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  In May, UNC made public an internal probe that found 54 AFAM classes were either "aberrant" or "irregularly" taught from summer 2007 to summer 2011. That included unauthorized grade changes, forged faculty signatures on grade rolls, and limited or no class time.

UNC has said that no student received a grade without submitting written work. But more than 50 percent of the students in those suspect classes were athletes. As first reported by The News & Observer of Raleigh, one class last summer had an enrollment of 19 -- 18 football players and one former football player.

And the Chief of that dept was basically forced to resign...but again, NO CHEATING!

As one UCF fan (who has PhD from UNC) likes to say:

"NCAA President is a UNC Alum....nothing will come out of this academic scandal" and with every passing day...he looks more and more right.
08-31-2012 04:32 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(08-31-2012 04:32 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(08-31-2012 03:57 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  In May, UNC made public an internal probe that found 54 AFAM classes were either "aberrant" or "irregularly" taught from summer 2007 to summer 2011. That included unauthorized grade changes, forged faculty signatures on grade rolls, and limited or no class time.

And the Chief of that dept was basically forced to resign...but again, NO CHEATING!

As one UCF fan (who has PhD from UNC) likes to say:

"NCAA President is a UNC Alum....nothing will come out of this academic scandal" and with every passing day...he looks more and more right.

I believe the NCAA president also worked at UCONN. He was denied the president job back in the 90s. I am not sure if the guy still holds a grudge against UCONN in some way.
08-31-2012 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Clearly the intent and execution of this class was to give out A's to athletes, without supervision and legit testing, to
bolster GPA's and keep athletes eligible.
08-31-2012 05:01 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
It is ESPN's fault
08-31-2012 05:24 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
The NCAA i guess has bought UNC's defense that these classes were also full of non-athletes so it wasn't an NCAA violation. I get what they are saying but it's BS.
08-31-2012 07:56 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
If anything, the NCAA accepted UNC self-imposing a one year bowl ban.

Do I think what they did is right? Hell no. If the ACC thought they were worthy of being censured and fined, at a minimum the NCAA should have done the same thing.

As for the assertion that Mark Emmert worked at UNC, he never did nor did he attend there. He was courted for an admin job there, but never worked there nor did he get his undergrad there (for you conspiracy theorists, Washington for his undergrad, Syracuse for his PhD). He did work as UConn's chancellor.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2012 08:17 PM by mattsarz.)
08-31-2012 08:10 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-31-2012 08:10 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  If anything, the NCAA accepted UNC self-imposing a one year bowl ban.

Do I think what they did is right? Hell no. If the ACC thought they were worthy of being censured and fined, at a minimum the NCAA should have done the same thing.

Last year's 1 year bowl ban had nothing to do with the latest academic scandal uncovered over the last few months by a NC newspaper.
08-31-2012 08:14 PM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
ncaa is a joke
08-31-2012 10:08 PM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

And Boises football team gets penalized for allowing kids to sleep on couches. Where's the justice?
08-31-2012 10:50 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

Great column in si.com on the joke of a decision by the NCAA.

NCAA fails miserably, turns a blind eye to UNC's academic misdeeds

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...z25BxxyR9h

In a class called How To Embarrass Your School Without Getting In Trouble With the NCAA, I give the North Carolina Tar Heels an A-plus. And they don't even have to write a paper.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...?eref=sihp
09-01-2012 12:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.