Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PAC 12 TV Deal
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
PAC 12 TV Deal
Anyone know the figures for what $$$$ the PAC 12 schools were expecting to get and what $$$$ they ultimately ended up gettin?

I figure we can use that as a rough ballpark for what Bevilacqua can get for BE... Probably add 3-4 mill w/ Aresco's help
08-22-2012 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: PAC 12 TV Deal
It would be nice.
08-22-2012 08:15 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-22-2012 08:04 PM)Gopper Wrote:  Anyone know the figures for what $$$$ the PAC 12 schools were expecting to get and what $$$$ they ultimately ended up gettin?

I figure we can use that as a rough ballpark for what Bevilacqua can get for BE... Probably add 3-4 mill w/ Aresco's help
$250M a year average for the conference, $20.8M average per year, per school.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/705/

This link lists everybody else's deal in the Big 6. NOTES: The SEC deal is in the process of being reworked. The BE doesn't show per school details, b/c the BE does not publicly share its revenue-sharing method between BB schools and all sports.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 08:22 PM by TripleA.)
08-22-2012 08:19 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

There is still a lot of wheels turning still it seems the BE, ACC, SEC and B12 contracts are all still far from settled. 03-idea
08-22-2012 08:25 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-22-2012 08:25 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  There is still a lot of wheels turning still it seems the BE, ACC, SEC and B12 contracts are all still far from settled. 03-idea
I think the ACC deal is settled now, but I forgot the B12 deal hasn't been finalized yet, either.
08-22-2012 08:30 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-22-2012 08:19 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-22-2012 08:04 PM)Gopper Wrote:  Anyone know the figures for what $$$$ the PAC 12 schools were expecting to get and what $$$$ they ultimately ended up gettin?

This link lists everybody else's deal in the Big 6. NOTES: The SEC deal is in the process of being reworked. The BE doesn't show per school details, b/c the BE does not publicly share its revenue-sharing method between BB schools and all sports.

It doesn't need to share. There are two separate contracts, one for football which each team who plays that sport gets an equal share, and one for basketball, of which each team who plays that sport gets an equal share.

As for the PAC 12, they actually publicly said they expected to get a bigger deal than anyone else had. And they pulled off to everyone's surprise.
08-22-2012 09:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-22-2012 09:56 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

It doesn't need to share. There are two separate contracts, one for football which each team who plays that sport gets an equal share, and one for basketball, of which each team who plays that sport gets an equal share.

As for the PAC 12, they actually publicly said they expected to get a bigger deal than anyone else had. And they pulled off to everyone's surprise.
I'm just repeating what that website said. Not my words.
08-22-2012 09:57 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
I still think the GOR is the holdup on the Big 12 deal... the ACC deal is done and was announced by Swofford and the conference when it was. I think only their Orange Bowl media partner remains incomplete.
08-22-2012 09:57 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-22-2012 09:57 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-22-2012 09:56 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

I'm just repeating what that website said. Not my words.
Gotcha. On my phone so I did not click on the link. But just clarifying.
08-22-2012 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-22-2012 09:57 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I still think the GOR is the holdup on the Big 12 deal... the ACC deal is done and was announced by Swofford and the conference when it was. I think only their Orange Bowl media partner remains incomplete.
I think you're right about the B12 deal. I saw that somewhere, too.
08-22-2012 10:00 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(08-22-2012 10:00 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-22-2012 09:57 PM)IceJus10 Wrote:  I still think the GOR is the holdup on the Big 12 deal... the ACC deal is done and was announced by Swofford and the conference when it was. I think only their Orange Bowl media partner remains incomplete.
I think you're right about the B12 deal. I saw that somewhere, too.

I dunno. I was a big skeptic (you're all shocked, I know) about the original 6-year GOR last fall, wondering why nothing had ever been announced. The in late Jan/early Feb, a Big 12 muckety-muck was asked on radio or TV and said "We signed it at the November meeting" but there was never a big announcement. So I don't expect a big announcement of the 13-year GOR either.
08-23-2012 06:02 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

Someone said the Big East doesn't release information about the BB/FB revenue split, and someone else said no, there is no split, there are just two (actually 3, counting CBS) contracts.

I think the issue is that the Big East basically doesn't release ANY information, so it's here and there in different newspaper articles. There are a lot of numbers--total vs per school, total vs per year, total vs fb + bb separate. That's what makes it so complicated.
08-23-2012 06:15 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-23-2012 06:15 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Someone said the Big East doesn't release information about the BB/FB revenue split, and someone else said no, there is no split, there are just two (actually 3, counting CBS) contracts.

I think the issue is that the Big East basically doesn't release ANY information, so it's here and there in different newspaper articles. There are a lot of numbers--total vs per school, total vs per year, total vs fb + bb separate. That's what makes it so complicated.
That's a good point. And I bet when we get this contract, nobody is going to be able to figure out the real distribution, either. I'm sure that will be a funny debate.
08-23-2012 06:35 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-23-2012 06:15 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Someone said the Big East doesn't release information about the BB/FB revenue split, and someone else said no, there is no split, there are just two (actually 3, counting CBS) contracts.

Just to clarify the BE actually has two contracts for rights, both with ESPN - the CBS contract is technically with ESPN to buy games from them even though the money is added to what ESPN pays us. But that is an immaterial detail. But saying the BE doesn't realease the info is sort of a misnomer ,because none of the other conferences release how they split up revenue either. People use the TV contract and divide by th enumber of teams, but never allocate any money for the conference itself, which shows the inherient inaccuracies of the averages). As a whole, conferences usually release, if anything, how much money they paid their teams in total, including NCAA money, merchandise money, sponsorships, and bowl money. It was just author not paying attention that their are two separate contracts that can be easily averaged out.
08-23-2012 09:45 AM
johnbragg Offline

(08-23-2012 09:45 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  Just to clarify the BE actually has two contracts for rights, both with ESPN - the CBS contract is technically with ESPN to buy games from them even though the money is added to what ESPN pays us. But that is an immaterial detail. But saying the BE doesn't realease the info is sort of a misnomer ,because none of the other conferences release how they split up revenue either.

Thanks for the info about the CBS contract. And while it's true that other conferences also don't release that information, it's a lot more relevant for the Big East, with two (now three) membership categories and two different ESPN contracts with different lengths.

Google "Pac-12 TV contract" and you'll get 8 out of 10 articles that give you either a per-year average for the conference, a per-year per-school average, or a total amount over 12 years. Taking any of those numbers and five minutes of 7th grade math, you can get the other numbers.

Google "Big East TV contract" and you'll get all kinds of different numbers that it takes a lot more work and a little bit of guessing to figure out how those books balance.
08-23-2012 10:02 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Yes, but it's not that complicated. Using the per year averages, the football contract is for a $13 million for 8 teams. That is $1.625 million per year. The basketball contract is for $32 million for 16 teams. That is $2 million per year. If your school plays one of those sports, that is how much you make. If they play both, you add the two together. It is simply one extra step. Even with the new contract, it doesn;t matter if there are three membership classes (there are actually four, maybe five if you want to get tehcnical), the same rule applies. Whichever sport you play, you get an equal share of that contract. If you play more than one, you collect from both contracts. If a seventh grader can do the necessary division, they can handle one extra step of division. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 10:53 AM by adcorbett.)
08-23-2012 10:53 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
^ Just curious, what are the 4th and perhaps 5th categories?
08-23-2012 10:57 AM
johnbragg Offline

(08-23-2012 10:53 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  Yes, but it's not that complicated. Using the per year averages, the football contract is for a $13 million for 8 teams. That is $1.625 million per year. The basketball contract is for $32 million for 16 teams. That is $2 million per year. If your school plays one of those sports, that is how much you make. If they play both, you add the two together. It is simply one extra step. Even with the new contract, it doesn;t matter if there are three membership classes (there are actually four, maybe five if you want to get tehcnical), the same rule applies. Whichever sport you play, you get an equal share of that contract. If you play more than one, you collect from both contracts. If a seventh grader can do the necessary division, they can handle one extra step of division. 04-cheers

Actually, where did you get the $32M number for basketball? I thought it was $20M from ESPN plus $9M from CBS.

It's not the math that's the challenge. Its figuring out how credible different media quotes are, and how they fit together.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/10/03/...onference/ says:

Quote:6 years, $200 million, ABC/ESPN [CBS contributes $9 million of total] (through 2013)
Annual: $40 million
Average Annual per School: $3.18 million for football schools, $1.56 million for non-football schools

You'll notice that ($3.18M*8)=25.44 + ($1.56M*8)=12.48 doesn't come out to $40M.

Meanwhile Brett McMurphy http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...s-lifetime says

Quote:The Big East's current six-year media rights deal is worth $3.125 million annually for each of the eight full members and $1.5 million annually for each of the eight non-football members. The eight football members split $13 million, while the 16 basketball members split $24 million.

McMurphy's math at least adds up correctly.

Meanwhile, Boise State president Bob Kustra says http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-state/rss

Quote:Boise State President Bob Kustra estimated the annual payout to Big East football members at $3.7 million under its current TV contract, compared to the $1.9 million projected as the top payout in the Mountain West.

$3.7M is a lot more than $1.625M, and also more than $3.125M.

It's not the math that's hard, it's telling the true facts from the false facts.
08-23-2012 11:42 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(08-23-2012 09:45 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  

Just to clarify the BE actually has two contracts for rights, both with ESPN - the CBS contract is technically with ESPN to buy games from them even though the money is added to what ESPN pays us. But that is an immaterial detail. But saying the BE doesn't realease the info is sort of a misnomer ,because none of the other conferences release how they split up revenue either. People use the TV contract and divide by th enumber of teams, but never allocate any money for the conference itself, which shows the inherient inaccuracies of the averages). As a whole, conferences usually release, if anything, how much money they paid their teams in total, including NCAA money, merchandise money, sponsorships, and bowl money. It was just author not paying attention that their are two separate contracts that can be easily averaged out.

The CBS deal for Big East basketball is directly with CBS. It is not a sublicense deal where CBS buys games from ESPN. Same goes for the deals CBS has with the SEC for regular season games and the Big Ten. CBS buys ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 from ESPN, in addition to some conference championships.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/m...ract_x.htm
http://www.bigeast.org/AbouttheBIGEAST/Television.aspx
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketb...-tv-rights

The item that many of these articles mess up is that CBS does not guarantee games, they guarantee appearances. 1 Big East team in a game, home or road = 1 appearance. Big East conference game = 2 appearances.

In the past, ESPN and CBS have negotiated to get certain games for either the weekend or Big Monday. Example: Some seasons you'll see one of the GU-Syracuse games on Big Monday or as the lead-in to the 1st Duke-UNC game, with the other appearing on CBS on a Saturday.

Easy way to tell if a conference's games were bought directly from the conference by CBS or purchased from ESPN or FOX: CBS owns the digital rights to those games they buy directly and you'll see the games streamed live on CBSSports.com. You don't see that with the ones CBS buys from ESPN.

CBS has streamed SEC, Big East, MW and Big Ten games. The ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and C-USA, MVC & A-10 title games are purchased from external sources.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 01:48 PM by mattsarz.)
08-23-2012 01:40 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(08-23-2012 10:57 AM)TripleA Wrote:  ^ Just curious, what are the 4th and perhaps 5th categories?

1) Full members - All sports programs
2) Full members - do not play football
3) Full member - plays football in another confernce/independent (i.e. Notre Dame)
4) Full member - plays football in another division (i.e Georgetown and Villanova)
5) Associate members -football only

In practical terms there are only two categories as far as TV is concerned, but in reality there are 18 full members of the Big East, with 8 of them having a different disposition. But those in the third and fourth categories, could essentially move themselves up to the top category one if they wanted to, by moving their football teams up to Division 1a, or renouncing their independence. As opposed to those in category two who do not have that option since they do not even field football teams.
08-23-2012 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.