Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Back to the real issues of men's hoops
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Back to the real issues of men's hoops
1). I believe any day now the final grades at HFCC should be posted. That should clear the way for Still to enroll in a few weeks. EDIT: Supposed to be yesterday evening.

2). I believe we are still waiting on the NCAA eligibility certification for Lee. (these certifications can be agonizing slow - NCAA has to process the FB players first because their timeline is different than basketball players).

IF both go according to Hoyle, this team will be as deep as any in the MAC.

I'm predicting EMU vs. Ohio in the MAC tourney championship game in March.

BTW, I'm awaiting the men's OOC schedule but it should be a good one. Purdue at home, a 4-team tourney at EMU, etc. etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2012 06:53 AM by emu steve.)
08-17-2012 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: Back to the real issues of men's hoops
Steve, I'm sorry I can't agree with the real issues of men's hopes being Still and Lee.

Rather than bet on who will be on the MAC title next year can we lay bets on how long Murphy will take to buy out his contract and go somewhere else?

I'm betting Murphy will coach this year and that will be it.

PS English and Murphy are totally different examples, English stuck it out through the rebuilding process and didn't bail after ONE year of being head coach, nor did he look to bail in year two or year three.

The real issue is when Murphy looks a recruit and tells him to come to EMU because its going to be head coach and taking us to a MAC championship is the recruit gong to believe him?
08-17-2012 07:22 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(08-17-2012 07:22 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Steve, I'm sorry I can't agree with the real issues of men's hopes being Still and Lee.

Rather than bet on who will be on the MAC title next year can we lay bets on how long Murphy will take to buy out his contract and go somewhere else?

PS English and Murphy are totally different examples, English stuck it out through the rebuilding process and didn't bail after ONE year of being head coach, nor did he look to bail in year two or year three.

The real issue is when Murphy looks a recruit and tells him to come to EMU because its going to be head coach and taking us to a MAC championship is the recruit gong to believe him?

English didn't have the opportunity to leave after year 1 and 2, and it's doubtful he did after 3.

i agree that it sucks that Murphy did this, but to act like he's the only coach at EMU looking for a bigger/higher paying job isn't true. no one is at Eastern for men's football or basketball because it is their desired final stop in coaching.

as for this season in men's hoops, i think it will depend on how good Ray Lee is right away. if he's unable to be a starting, 30 min/game lead guard, then i think we'll still have a lot of trouble this year. he's going to be the key.
08-17-2012 07:45 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I've heard good things about Ross. He could start.

Imagine what Ross and Lee could bring to the PG slot...

Also, Still if he is a player will add tons to the PF/C position (he should be able to back up Riley too).

This will be as athletic a team as one will find in the MAC.

Murphy could actually, IF, and it doesn't fit his style, could go with a "A" and "B" team and press and play full court for 40 minutes. Larranaga at Mason did this. He had a group who played the first 10 minutes and another rotation who played the 2nd 10 minutes of the 1st half.

I'm going to a bowl game with NuPudge. I'll go to CLE with Dennis if he leaves the nuts home... (got to fed his own [squirrels] first).
08-17-2012 07:54 AM
Advertisement

EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
i keep selling Ross short - probably because he's an out-of-state guy so i haven't heard anything about him. it's encouraging to hear that he could be a capable starter as well. PG will be a big deal this year.
08-17-2012 08:00 AM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
(08-17-2012 08:00 AM)EMUAARON Wrote:  i keep selling Ross short - probably because he's an out-of-state guy so i haven't heard anything about him. it's encouraging to hear that he could be a capable starter as well. PG will be a big deal this year.

Heard that Ross is the real deal, a great facilitator, seems like Murphy knew him from his Syracuse days. Probably too small for Syracuse at 5'11 but a great fit for EMU. Looking forward to seeing him play.
08-17-2012 08:41 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(08-17-2012 07:45 AM)EMUAARON Wrote:  
(08-17-2012 07:22 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Steve, I'm sorry I can't agree with the real issues of men's hopes being Still and Lee.

English didn't have the opportunity to leave after year 1 and 2, and it's doubtful he did after 3.

i agree that it sucks that Murphy did this, but to act like he's the only coach at EMU looking for a bigger/higher paying job isn't true. no one is at Eastern for men's football or basketball because it is their desired final stop in coaching.

as for this season in men's hoops, i think it will depend on how good Ray Lee is right away. if he's unable to be a starting, 30 min/game lead guard, then i think we'll still have a lot of trouble this year. he's going to be the key.
I agree with EMU79. Everyone understands that EMU is probably not going to be the final destination for the head coach if he is successful (Ben Braun). However, I think where most people have a problem with Murphy is that he was on the prowl so soon after being given his first HC job and without really proving anything. He got rebuffed by Virginia Tech--why he thought he was qualified for that job, I don't know, but I can give him a pass there because it would have been a step up for him and the timing was appropriate for EMU to find a new coach if he was hired. But the Orlando "opportunity" was not a bigger/higher paying job. It is confirmed that it was not an assistant coach job (that I could give more creedance to, but the timing still sucks). Does Orlando even have a head coach yet?? I agree that this is Murph's last season here. He clearly doesn't want to be here and that's fine. If a bigger school is dumb enough to want him, they'd have no problem picking up the buyout, which is basically chump change for a BCS-type school.
08-17-2012 09:15 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(08-17-2012 08:41 AM)Dennis Hoopster Wrote:  
(08-17-2012 08:00 AM)EMUAARON Wrote:  i keep selling Ross short - probably because he's an out-of-state guy so i haven't heard anything about him. it's encouraging to hear that he could be a capable starter as well. PG will be a big deal this year.

Heard that Ross is the real deal, a great facilitator, seems like Murphy knew him from his Syracuse days. Probably too small for Syracuse at 5'11 but a great fit for EMU. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Murphy comes through for EMU... 02-13-banana
08-17-2012 10:30 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(08-17-2012 08:41 AM)Dennis Hoopster Wrote:  

Should mention a good facilitator will make the big men better.

Too many times Riley had to try to create his own half court shot and that isn't his game.
08-17-2012 10:31 AM
DPW Offline
Water Engineer

(08-17-2012 07:22 AM)emu79 Wrote:  PS English and Murphy are totally different examples, English stuck it out through the rebuilding process and didn't bail after ONE year of being head coach, nor did he look to bail in year two or year three.

I thought English's name was mentioned in connection with the opening at Illinois within the last year? Don't know if it was merely reporters mentioning potential candidates, or if he actually interviewed for the job.
08-17-2012 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(08-17-2012 06:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  1). I believe any day now the final grades at HFCC should be posted. That should clear the way for Still to enroll in a few weeks. EDIT: Supposed to be yesterday evening.

2). I believe we are still waiting on the NCAA eligibility certification for Lee. (these certifications can be agonizing slow - NCAA has to process the FB players first because their timeline is different than basketball players).

BTW, I'm awaiting the men's OOC schedule but it should be a good one. Purdue at home, a 4-team tourney at EMU, etc. etc.

Article on Still...

http://www.ballinmichigan.com/2012/07/25...mes-still/

I believe grades were to be posted yesterday so he could officially be an EMU student athlete.
08-17-2012 01:06 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Pono on the main MAC board nails it:

RE: Story on EMU board (men's hoops)

(Today 09:42 AM)EMUAARON Wrote:

(Today 09:13 AM)EA3 Wrote: I can see it both ways.

On one hand, they players understand the NBA is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They all want to be there too. I wouldn't be shocked if they were fine with his flirtation with the NBA.

On the other hand, he basically tried to ditch them after 16 months on the job and the only reason he is still there is because of the 210k buyout clause.

Ultimately, I don't think this will affect their team. Their fans on the other hand, will use this as a lightning rod anytime something goes wrong.

you nailed it. our fans are going to point to this more than any opposing coach or current player.

i doubt the buyout was the main rationale for his decision. and emu is gonna need a lot more fans to make anyone notice what they point too. you guys get 400 ppl a game. the issue is not whether some of those diehards honeymoon w murphy is over. it's whether those 13 kids on the roster are gonna play like they did for him last year (tremendous) with a more talented roster and win 20 games and push for a postseason spot.

emu is gonna put a lineup on the floor that includes a veteran 7 foot ex syracuse center (d riley). an athletic proven 6-8 power forward (J harris) a super athletic ex arkansas 6-7 sm forward (bryant). a good 6-6 ex-wyoming shooting guard (harrison), and a blue chip local 6-3 combo guard (lee). they will have exceptional size, talent and athleticism for a mac team. if they buy in like last years less talented squad they will be the most fun team emu has had to watch since boykins left. that will do more for fans than anything else.

My only question is whether Lee or Ross will start at PG, but the backup will play a lot and there shouldn't be a lot of falloff.
08-17-2012 03:55 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(08-17-2012 01:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(08-17-2012 06:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  1). I believe any day now the final grades at HFCC should be posted. That should clear the way for Still to enroll in a few weeks. EDIT: Supposed to be yesterday evening.

Article on Still...

I believe grades were to be posted yesterday so he could officially be an EMU student athlete.

For those who did NOT read the article on Still.

He worked with Terry Mills on his post game, and face up 4 game and learned to shoot with both his right and left hands.

Sounds like the game plan was not simply to let him muscle opponents at the rim and have a 5 foot game.

There is a chance that he might be more advanced than some might expect.

As I have been saying the next two years could be special at EMU. I really believe all of the pieces are there.

i also eagerly await Mike Talley when he becomes eligible next season.
08-18-2012 07:36 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2012 07:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Article on Still...

He worked with Terry Mills on his post game, and face up 4 game and learned to shoot with both his right and left hands.

Sounds like the game plan was not simply to let him muscle opponents at the rim and have a 5 foot game.

As I have been saying the next two years could be special at EMU. I really believe all of the pieces are there.

Agree. Eastern does appear to be loaded, which makes it even more puzzling why....oh never mind, I'm just gonna sit back and see what Still, Riley, Bryant, Harrison, Ross, and Lee can do this year. Dang, I'm kind of excited now.
08-18-2012 09:41 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(08-18-2012 09:41 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 07:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Article on Still...

Agree. Eastern does appear to be loaded, which makes it even more puzzling why....oh never mind, I'm just gonna sit back and see what Still, Riley, Bryant, Harrison, Ross, and Lee can do this year. Dang, I'm kind of excited now.

It was a conspiracy by Murphy to get folks to talk EMU hoops. 03-lmfao

"Desperate times require desperate measures...."

Getting EMU fans excited about anything is a tough thing.
08-18-2012 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.