Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's the point of the exclusive negotiation period?
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
What's the point of the exclusive negotiation period?
I don't get it.

Even if ESPN says, "We'll give you $3B for 10 years. Only good during this 60 days, take it or leave it."

Why would the Big East accept it? You have to assume that if the offer is for less than you think it's worth, you can do better with more bidding. Even if it's for more, your thought has to be, "maybe I've undervalued this" and you'd wait for more bidding.
08-15-2012 07:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adluther Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: What's the point of the exclusive negotiation period?
purely speculation.. but working for a media company, alot of contracts give the current contract holder the exclusive rights to try to keep the current contnract by being the only ones who can bid. The clause in our prior contract that gives ESPN the exclusive period is something that benefits ESPN and was put in the contract by ESPN, not something that benefits BE. Makes perfect sense for a contract to have that in there for the one paying out the dollars. By putting that clause in the prior contract, they can come in, attempt to get us for less than we are worth, and b/c it is an exclusive period, they hope we will jump.

like you, I hope ..and feel.. like we will not be agreeing to any offers what so ever during the exclusive period. Our commish knows TV, knows what this type of contract is worth, so he'll hold out and get us what we need/deserve.
08-15-2012 08:08 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
ESPN wanted the exclusive window of 60 days because it favors them and they held all of cards in the last round of
negotiations. I would be surprised if other broadcasters have not forwarded, through a 3rd party, some numbers to
the Big East, as an initial volley. Big East can't reply to unsolicited proposals though.

I would very surprised if ESPN doesn't low ball the Big East. This what they have traditionally done.
08-15-2012 08:09 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-15-2012 07:55 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  I don't get it.

Even if ESPN says, "We'll give you $3B for 10 years. Only good during this 60 days, take it or leave it."

Why would the Big East accept it? You have to assume that if the offer is for less than you think it's worth, you can do better with more bidding. Even if it's for more, your thought has to be, "maybe I've undervalued this" and you'd wait for more bidding.

That's the norm in almost any negotiation...regardless of product. (i.e. Car Salesman: "I can really only offer you this amazing price today...because our new inventory is coming tomorrow".....yet, you comeback tomorrow...play around with numbers, and you end up with an even BETTER deal than the one previously offered).

No doubt ESPN will say that their top offer will EXPIRE on Oct 31, 2012...Big East and NBC knows that...and while it might be a gamble to take the bid to the open market...and yes, that might mean saying GOOD-BYE to ESPN for good...thats something that Aresco will have to weigh...as he knows the VALUE of being the #1 Conf product on a network like NBC/NBC Sports...vs the VALUE of being the #6 Conf product on say ESPN (even if ESPN offers up the most $$$).

Negotiations are generally fun to do...and one thing you read about Aresco is that EVERYONE respects him...and doesn't burn bridges if a deal isn't reached...something that could help pay major dividends for this conf in this contract...and probably much more so in the NEXT CONTRACT.

The New Big East is basically a rookie top draft pick...and will be well paid...but its BIGGEST payday, like most stars, is the NEXT ONE to hits the open market...because the New Big East will be ESTABLISHED by then...and odds are, it will be successful...and more networks will gladly pay major $$$$ for it.

Aresco won't burn bridges...because he knows he might soon walk across that bridge in the coming years when the next deal will be up for grabs.

NOTE: While Aresco will be mature about it...same can't always be said about the other parties...and you can't control that. (i.e. see how the puny ESPN Exec acted when the Big Ten initially turned down their previous offer).
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 08:20 AM by KnightLight.)
08-15-2012 08:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
ESPN can't really win anyway. Unless they ridiculously overpay, there is no reason to accept an ESPN offer. Furthermore, Even if they overpay, signing with ESPN would relegate the Big East to poor time slots on ESPN-2 and ESPN-U, or even worse---possibly even Internet only coverage of some games. NBC simply has a much more appealing package when it come to the amount of promotion and coverage they would give the Big East.

It's hard for me to see the exclusive negotiating period bearing fruit. Nope.....this is heading to the open market. The real negotiations start in November.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 08:37 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-15-2012 08:14 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(08-15-2012 08:08 AM)adluther Wrote:  By putting that clause in the prior contract, they can come in, attempt to get us for less than we are worth, and b/c it is an exclusive period, they hope we will jump.

...but that's just it, everyone knows that so what's the point? How is this 60 days, different from any day previous to it, where the BE could only talk to ESPN about renegotiating.

My feeling is that its just something you stick in a contract, because that's what you always do. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a situation where it had any value.
08-15-2012 08:15 AM
Advertisement

ollin Offline
1st String

I Root For: BE
Ask CUSA how important the exclusive negotiation window is. They had to give up the conference championship game to ESPN for free when they didn't comply with the stipulation.
08-15-2012 08:17 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(08-15-2012 08:17 AM)ollin Wrote:  Ask CUSA how important the exclusive negotiation window is. They had to give up the conference championship game to ESPN for free when they didn't comply with the stipulation.

There is that. So legal leverage against getting outside offers early?
08-15-2012 08:26 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-15-2012 08:26 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(08-15-2012 08:17 AM)ollin Wrote:  Ask CUSA how important the exclusive negotiation window is. They had to give up the conference championship game to ESPN for free when they didn't comply with the stipulation.

Ya.

NBC (along with FOX and CBS) could only talk in general terms in what they would do for the conf if they won their upcoming bid(at Spring Big East Meetings)...as NBC couldn't talk about specific $$$$$$ (that would go against ESPN's contract with Big East) till AFTER the 60 day window expires.

Even prior to the 60 day window...ESPN and the Big East could have entertained offers from each other and they did (i.e. ESPN offered up one but the Big East rejected it), the window just gives a drop dead date (i.e. Oct 31, 2012) as the last day before OTHER Networks can offer up SPECIFIC contract offers to the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 08:33 AM by KnightLight.)
08-15-2012 08:32 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2012 08:32 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Ya.

NBC (along with FOX and CBS) could only talk in general terms in what they would do for the conf if they won their upcoming bid(at Spring Big East Meetings)...as NBC couldn't talk about specific $$$$$$ (that would go against ESPN's contract with Big East) till AFTER the 60 day window expires.

Even prior to the 60 day window...ESPN and the Big East could have entertained offers from each other and they did (i.e. ESPN offered up one but the Big East rejected it), the window just gives a drop dead date (i.e. Oct 31, 2012) as the last day before OTHER Networks can offer up SPECIFIC contract offers to the Big East.
Don't count on it. It's pretty much industry practice, just not advertised. Extremely hard to prove, unless you start tapping phones, lol. A little bit like a pro star signing a contract a minute after the open period for negotiations starts, just on a much bigger scale.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 08:37 AM by TripleA.)
08-15-2012 08:36 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-15-2012 08:36 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Ya.

Don't count on it. It's pretty much industry practice, just not advertised. Extremely hard to prove, unless you start tapping phones, lol. A little bit like a pro star signing a contract a minute after the open period for negotiations starts, just on a much bigger scale.

True...as there is no rule on each's 3rd party in having those discussions...but seeing how ESPN recently sued and WON their case vs CUSA & FOX...smart folks "dot their i's and cross their t's" so that won't happen.

Aresco (heck, he just came from CBS) probably already knows the ballpark that the end figures will be....it will be the specifics (especially guaranteed Saturday football time slots) that have to be negotiated too in this new contract.
08-15-2012 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(08-15-2012 08:36 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Ya.

NBC cant talk numbers with the Big East. But NBC is currently in negotiations with Big East member Notre-Dame for the future Irish football broadcast rights. Because of that relationship, NBC can tell Notre Dame anything they want. Im sure Notre Dame has some interesting things to whisper in the new commissioners ear.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 09:00 AM by Attackcoog.)
08-15-2012 08:58 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
Pfft, NBC has had a direct hand in shaping this conference, if you think anyone is abiding by any rules you guys are being naive.
08-15-2012 09:16 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
And I didn't say HOW numbers were being transmitted. I just said they are, lol. It is IMPOSSIBLE not to have that happen. We're talking BILLION-DOLLAR PLUS contracts here. This goes on in business every single day of the year, regrdlkess of what soem contract says. Why would TV be any different?

As for the C-USA example, that's apples and oranges. That could be proven. This can't.
08-15-2012 09:20 AM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Here is my #1 worry -- ESPiN lowballs as expected, and BE says no thank you. During the 60 day exclusive window, ESiPN tells the ACC to poach UConn and/or Rutgers (as they did with Cuse and Pitt) and ACC listens to their master. This seriously affects the value of BE going foward, allowing NBC to pay less than they would have originally.

ESpin is the devil. Don't trust them at all--they could use this exclusive 60 day window to try and destroy BE football.
08-15-2012 09:22 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2012 09:22 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  Here is my #1 worry -- ESPiN lowballs as expected, and BE says no thank you. During the 60 day exclusive window, ESiPN tells the ACC to poach UConn and/or Rutgers (as they did with Cuse and Pitt) and ACC listens to their master. This seriously affects the value of BE going foward, allowing NBC to pay less than they would have originally.

ESpin is the devil. Don't trust them at all--they could use this exclusive 60 day window to try and destroy BE football.
At this point, RU and UConn would be foolish not to wait to see the new TV deal. And it's past time to jump before 2014, anyway. Not happening, IMO.
08-15-2012 09:27 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-15-2012 09:20 AM)TripleA Wrote:  And I didn't say HOW numbers were being transmitted. I just said they are, lol. It is IMPOSSIBLE not to have that happen. We're talking BILLION-DOLLAR PLUS contracts here. This goes on in business every single day of the year, regrdlkess of what soem contract says. Why would TV be any different?

As for the C-USA example, that's apples and oranges. That could be proven. This can't.

We don't know that yet...and if it can be proven, I'm sure ESPN will sue the Big East (and the new TV Network) like they did before...and most likely will win.

Let's wait till at least Nov 1st (and beyond) before stating that NBC (or another network) didn't screw up.
08-15-2012 09:28 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(08-15-2012 09:22 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  ESiPN tells the ACC to poach UConn and/or Rutgers (as they did with Cuse and Pitt) and ACC listens to their master.

You say that like its a forgone conclusion UConn and Rutgers would leave. If NBC is going to pony up even close to equal to ACC money, with exit fees it's not going to be worth it for any BE schools (minus maybe partial members).

I don't see ESPN being able to use the ACC as a weapon without giving the ACC more money.
08-15-2012 09:31 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

Exclamation RE: What's the point of the exclusive negotiation period?
The exclusive negotiating window is for the networks like ESPN to manipulate poorly run conferences to add 2 new memebers with promises of more money, but in the end they just sign an extension for the next 30 years with very little increase over the long haul.....

Carolina Stang,

Expansion is over for the foreseeable future. The playoff treasure chest is seeing to that. Anybody that says otherwise isnt living in reality.
ESPN manipulated the ACC to perfection, but they see the err in their ways. There is zero chance they expand to 16. The two additional mouths would require a tremendous amount of TV revenue increase just to justify it. Which is also why you don't see the BIG XII expanding at all now either.
As soon as the playoff money became a reality, they suddenly (and rightfully so) became content with their 10 team makeup. It would take ND to love the needle enough to split that pie 12 ways, and that is never happening.
08-15-2012 09:32 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(08-15-2012 09:22 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  Here is my #1 worry -- ESPiN lowballs as expected, and BE says no thank you. During the 60 day exclusive window, ESiPN tells the ACC to poach UConn and/or Rutgers (as they did with Cuse and Pitt) and ACC listens to their master. This seriously affects the value of BE going foward, allowing NBC to pay less than they would have originally.

Not anymore.

Va Tech, FSU, Clemson, etc...were DUPED in thinking that ESPN was going to back-up a Brinks Truck and throw Big Ten/Pac-12/Big-12 $$$$ at the ACC if the ACC just added Syracuse and Clemson.

THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Heck, BCS newbies TCU & UTAH will be earning more TV $$$$ in 2012 and 2013 vs what FSU, Va Tech and Clemson will be getting paid in 2020 and 2021!!!!!

There is now virtually NO WAY the ACC expands past 14 teams...because ESPN did NOT deliver on their promise...and even the so-so teams (i.e. NC State, UVA, UNC, etc...) know that now too.

ACC is "stuck" with ESPN through 2027!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as their teams won't even see $17 Million per year till 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 09:40 AM by KnightLight.)
08-15-2012 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.