Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This election isn't about Obama....
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
This election isn't about Obama....
it's about your mama. Ryan wants to take away her Medicare. Discuss.
08-14-2012 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: This election isn't about Obama....
You really fall for the lying left wing propaganda, don't you?
08-14-2012 07:57 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
So, um, what's unemployment up to?

Price of gas?

Yeah. That's what I thought.
08-14-2012 07:57 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
How many jobs have the Bush tax cuts created?
08-14-2012 07:58 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2012 07:57 PM)Smaug Wrote:  So, um, what's unemployment up to?

Price of gas?

What's it down to? The economy was in full meltdown in 2009. Obama stopped the bleeding, it's going to take a while before we are running marathons again.
08-14-2012 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-14-2012 08:01 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  

Price of gas?

What's it down to? The economy was in full meltdown in 2009. Obama stopped the bleeding, it's going to take a while before we are running marathons again.

It's 2012.

Obama said he'd get it under 8% AND cut the deficit in half his first term.
08-14-2012 08:13 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Price of gas?
What's it down to? The economy was in full meltdown in 2009.

No, it wasn't. It was in a recession, and about to hit bottom. It pretty clearly hit bottom before anything Obama did had time to have any effect. Obama was the beneficiary of some good timng in that he took office just about the time that the recession hit bottom of its own accord. That's not the left-wing spin, and the vast majority of the media are so far in the tank with Obama that you'll never hear this from any of them. But once economists have had sufficient time to digest all that happened, this will become apparent.

Quote:Obama stopped the bleeding,

No, he didn't. The bleeding stopped of its own accord. The timing is wrong for it to be Obama.

Quote:it's going to take a while before we are running marathons again.

What Obama did do was to make the recovery slower and less robust than other recessions. Actually, to be fair, he didn't do it himself, he had help. The last three recessions have had relatively weak recoveries compared to predecessors. I think it's because we have become such a consumer economy that there's really no good way to get a recovery going. Extending credit and lending money to people who can't afford to repay is about it. And we see how well that worked last decade.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 08:25 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-14-2012 08:24 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(08-14-2012 08:13 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Price of gas?

It's 2012.

Obama said he'd get it under 8% AND cut the deficit in half his first term.

And...He also heavily campaigned that the troops would be home. The Liberals should boot his ass for this reason alone. Instead? They ignore this totally and even remain quiet while he sets the US up for more involvement in Syria and Libya. ALL they care about is winning. They care NOTHING about the dying soldiers that should be home now.05-stirthepot
08-14-2012 08:35 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-14-2012 07:56 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  it's about your mama. Ryan wants to take away her Medicare. Discuss.

My mom is 65. So no, he doesn't.

A for effort though.
08-14-2012 08:45 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-14-2012 07:56 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  it's about your mama. Ryan wants to take away her Medicare. Discuss.

No, not my mama's Medicare.

And not my Medicare either. Unfortunately. Given a choice, I'd much prefer what Ryan is offering to Medicare.

Obamacare takes $700 billion from Medicare. Ryan takes $700 billion from Medicare. How is it that one is "taking away grandma's Medicare" and one isn't?
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 09:20 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-14-2012 08:51 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Not about my Mom or Dad. They are 78 and 82.
08-14-2012 09:02 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2012 08:24 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
Price of gas?
What's it down to? The economy was in full meltdown in 2009.

No, it wasn't. It was in a recession, and about to hit bottom. It pretty clearly hit bottom before anything Obama did had time to have any effect. Obama was the beneficiary of some good timng in that he took office just about the time that the recession hit bottom of its own accord. That's not the left-wing spin, and the vast majority of the media are so far in the tank with Obama that you'll never hear this from any of them. But once economists have had sufficient time to digest all that happened, this will become apparent.

Quote:Obama stopped the bleeding,

No, he didn't. The bleeding stopped of its own accord. The timing is wrong for it to be Obama.

Quote:it's going to take a while before we are running marathons again.

What Obama did do was to make the recovery slower and less robust than other recessions. Actually, to be fair, he didn't do it himself, he had help. The last three recessions have had relatively weak recoveries compared to predecessors. I think it's because we have become such a consumer economy that there's really no good way to get a recovery going. Extending credit and lending money to people who can't afford to repay is about it. And we see how well that worked last decade.

That's revisionist history. We were losing 700,000 jobs a month when Obama took office. Here in Florida, we still had heavy job losses deep into 2010. It was the worst recession in your lifetime. Nobody had any idea how bad it was. It was especially destructive because it included housing which is how most people create wealth. With houses underwater it limited people from moving to other regions of the country (VA,ND,IA)to find new jobs. None of the past recessions included housing except the great depression.
Politicians promise a lot of things. Bush promised a modest foreign policy. Bottomline is it is going to take a while to recover. Unpaid for tax cuts, unpaid for wars, unpaid for prescription drug benefited, unpaid for bailouts, and stimulus packages got us all here. It's going to take time to clear them off the books. We are gaining jobs, out of Iraq, and have better national security. Those 3 things are resolve deficiencies of the W.
08-15-2012 05:04 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-15-2012 05:04 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  That's revisionist history. We were losing 700,000 jobs a month when Obama took office. Here in Florida, we still had heavy job losses deep into 2010. It was the worst recession in your lifetime. Nobody had any idea how bad it was. It was especially destructive because it included housing which is how most people create wealth. With houses underwater it limited people from moving to other regions of the country (VA,ND,IA)to find new jobs. None of the past recessions included housing except the great depression.
Politicians promise a lot of things. Bush promised a modest foreign policy. Bottomline is it is going to take a while to recover. Unpaid for tax cuts, unpaid for wars, unpaid for prescription drug benefited, unpaid for bailouts, and stimulus packages got us all here. It's going to take time to clear them off the books. We are gaining jobs, out of Iraq, and have better national security. Those 3 things are resolve deficiencies of the W.

I'm sorry, but you're the one with the revisionist spin here. Obama's policies are not producing the recovery we want? No problem, we'll just make the problem bigger than it was, and that will make him look better. Make it the worst recession ever, and when people don't buy that, then use the old "nobody knows how bad it is" line.

Yes we were losing jobs. That's what happens in a recession. Were we going to keep losing 700,000 jobs a month forever? Of course not. Eventually you hit bottom, and we did about the time Obama took office. Which was pretty close to the timeline when most recessions hit bottom. And before anything Obama did had time to take effect. What Obama's policies have done is to keep us on the bottom rather than produce the kind of recovery that follows most recessions. And the longer we stay on the bottom, the worse you have to portray the problem in order to make Obama look good.

Housing is a factor in every recession. Recessions are about correcting malinvestment. This time housing was a bigger factor because the malinvestment was in housing, in response to policies designed to create a housing bubble to mask the fact that our economy has been basically dead flat since 9/11. We've been trying to hold off the needed corrections and until they take place we aren't going to recover.

We're a consumer economy, a retail/service economy, instead of the producer economy we used to be. You can't create significant amounts of wealth in a consumer economy. Until we fix that, we aren't going to recover. The dot.com bubble was about trying to create wealth by being a service economy. The housing bubble was about trying to create wealth by stimulating consumption. The only way to create wealth is to produce something of value, and until we start producing things again, we're not going to create any value.

Neither the tax cuts nor the wars nor the drug benefits nor the bailouts nor the stimulus packages got us here--although it is useful to note that you apparently recognize that the bailout and stimulus policies started with Shrub and were continued by Obama. We're gaining jobs too slowly to keep up with population growth. We're getting out of Iraq and eventually Afghanistan by giving up, essentially surrendering without ever making a valid effort actually to win, which means every young American man and woman who gave his/her life in those disasters did so in vain. I don't know how you conclude that we have better national security, but I don't think so.

Nice effort to spin but sorry, I'm not buying.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 06:19 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-15-2012 06:18 AM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Price of gas?

03-lmfao

5 trillion dollars and Wonder Boy still has above 8% unemployment. BTW, it was NEVER 8% under Bush.

Try again, Prog.

[Image: 0815MCKEETOON_web_0.jpg]
08-15-2012 07:26 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Every election for president is always about the incumbent, even when (like 2000 and 2008) the incumbent's name is not literally on the ballot. So yes, this election most definitely is about Obama.

As for the Mediscare campaign, the Democrats have obviously gotten a lot of mileage out of that one through the years. We will see if it works again this year. I admit that it might. But it also might not. Over the last 20 years, there has been a great awareness among the US people (compared to before) that our entitlement spending programs are simply not sustainable. And they weren't sustainable even BEFORE ObamaCare. With ObamaCare factored in, we are finally at the point where the country will either address this issue squarely or else go into a period of long-term national decline. Without venturing a guess as to how that will turn out, I am at least grateful that the GOP has chosen a VP-nominee with a record of facing up to the problem and seeking solutions.
08-15-2012 08:50 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

An uneducated voter would be Obama's best friend right now.
08-15-2012 01:47 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(08-15-2012 01:47 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  An uneducated voter would be Obama's best friend right now.

I think you can replace Obama with Romney and it would work just as well.
08-15-2012 07:05 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(08-15-2012 07:05 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  
(08-15-2012 01:47 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  An uneducated voter would be Obama's best friend right now.

I think you can replace Obama with Romney and it would work just as well.

Replacing a dog with something other people would claim to be a dog are not entirely the same.
08-15-2012 07:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.