Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TV coverage for the Big East and especially in football?
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Exclamation TV coverage for the Big East and especially in football?
We all know ESPN/ABC is the King of College Football Coverage.

So what do CBS and NBC offer coverage wise?

Can these two networks really challenge ESPN?

Will Mike Aresco be bias towards CBS?

Can ESPN/ABC be de-thronen?

The Providence College dominance seems to have been chase away. How is this going to be received long run by the Cotholic 8?

I am excite because this is the first time that the New Big East has made an effort to really make it a reall football and all sports conference.

One last question, how committed is CBS to college football coverage?
08-14-2012 10:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: TV coverage for the Big East and especially in football?
(08-14-2012 10:39 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  We all know ESPN/ABC is the King of College Football Coverage.

The Providence College dominance seems to have been chase away. How is this going to be received long run by the Cotholic 8?

I am excite because this is the first time that the New Big East has made an effort to really make it a reall football and all sports conference.

Well since the "Catholic 8" are a big part of the voting in the league and they signed off on this guy im sure they feel strongly about him. If you may recall they have had a lot of familiarity with him from his days at ESPN in the late 80's and early 90's and after that his time at CBS. The Catholic schools don't just want Providence to run the league, they just don't want someone who is going to cast them aside for FB schools who can't be trusted with the betterment of the league.
08-14-2012 10:47 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I am really glad to hear that. It seems you realize, the whole conference has to adapt and change to survie. While the brand name will stay the Big East, the conference is no longer just a Norteastern conference, but rather a national foot-print. 04-cheers
08-14-2012 10:51 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(08-14-2012 10:39 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  We all know ESPN/ABC is the King of College Football Coverage.

I haven't seen anything to suggest CBS is a serious contender, at least not for football. It really seems to be down to NBC and ESPN with Fox lurking. NBCSN seems to be in a lot of basic cable packages, and if it's not part of the basic package with Comcast then it will be soon. That said, the cable penetration isn't near ESPN, that's rarefied air with TBS, MTV and CNN, but with a national broadcast network and the largest cable provider running the show, they are without a doubt in a position to move ahead of Fox and sit comfortably in the second position.
08-14-2012 10:51 AM
Advertisement

TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I Root For: Memphis
This is what CBS offers, seriously.

RT @bmarcello: CBS Sports Network announces Houston Nutt will serve as studio analyst this year. He'll be joined by Ron Zook.
08-14-2012 10:52 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-14-2012 10:52 AM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  This is what CBS offers, seriously.

RT @bmarcello: CBS Sports Network announces Houston Nutt will serve as studio analyst this year. He'll be joined by Ron Zook.

I mean, are Matt Millen and Eric Mangini really that much better?
08-14-2012 11:27 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

What is ESPN's dropped dead to renew the Big East before we can start we become "free agents"? This will sonn get interesting. Again we really need BYU. 04-cheers
08-14-2012 11:31 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-14-2012 11:31 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  What is ESPN's dropped dead to renew the Big East before we can start we become "free agents"? This will sonn get interesting. Again we really need BYU. 04-cheers

Clocks starts ticking Sep. 1 and goes for 2 months. So Nov. 1 Big East are free agents. Correct me if I am wrong.
08-14-2012 11:58 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Thanks 04-cheers
08-14-2012 12:01 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 10:51 AM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  

I haven't seen anything to suggest CBS is a serious contender, at least not for football. It really seems to be down to NBC and ESPN with Fox lurking. NBCSN seems to be in a lot of basic cable packages, and if it's not part of the basic package with Comcast then it will be soon. That said, the cable penetration isn't near ESPN, that's rarefied air with TBS, MTV and CNN, but with a national broadcast network and the largest cable provider running the show, they are without a doubt in a position to move ahead of Fox and sit comfortably in the second position.
It isn't that bad. NBC Sports currently has about 78M households, and ESPN has about 104M, I think. CBS Sports has about 44M, IIRC. And most of NBC Sports' distribution is on the same cable access tier as ESPN.
08-14-2012 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Derby Offline
tigris rex

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 12:03 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

It isn't that bad. NBC Sports currently has about 78M households, and ESPN has about 104M, I think. CBS Sports has about 44M, IIRC. And most of NBC Sports' distribution is on the same cable access tier as ESPN.

ESPN has multiple outlets (ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3). NBC only has the two.
08-14-2012 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 12:50 PM)Derby Wrote:  

If you watched the Olympics coverage, you might recall that NBC actually used more of their outlets to show events, including NBC, NBC Sports, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, and NBCSportsOnline.

Of course, a lot of that ran from 7 am until 5 pm ET, so if you worked, you would miss most of it. But they were showing live sports wall to wall on most of those channels (except CNBC during weekday work hours), for a good chunk of time.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 12:55 PM by TripleA.)
08-14-2012 12:53 PM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 12:53 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(08-14-2012 12:50 PM)Derby Wrote:  

If you watched the Olympics coverage, you might recall that NBC actually used more of their outlets to show events, including NBC, NBC Sports, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, and NBCSportsOnline.

Of course, a lot of that ran from 7 am until 5 pm ET, so if you worked, you would miss most of it. But they were showing live sports wall to wall on most of those channels (except CNBC during weekday work hours), for a good chunk of time.

Well that's sure true. Didn't think FOX would use FX for sports at one time either.
08-14-2012 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Then there is USA network, the most watched network on tv, in more households than espn
08-14-2012 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.