I Root For:
Chris Bevilacqua Speaks
08-13-2012 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: Chris Bevilacqua Speaks
(08-13-2012 08:08 PM)FULL_MONTY Wrote:  http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index....cqu_1.html

Its nice to have a real professional manning the turrent for a change.
08-13-2012 08:30 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Chris Bevilacqua Wrote:"I haven’t frankly paid much attention to that," Bevilacqua said of the forecasting. "I’m not sure where they are coming from. Usually when someone is putting out numbers this early, someone has got some kind of agenda. I’m not going to get engaged in that conversation now."
08-13-2012 08:35 PM
UHCougar07 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
Ding ding ding. I like this guy. Get us BIG money.
08-13-2012 08:45 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Finally, someone speaking for the BE who has a brain, and isn't afraid to use it.
08-13-2012 09:05 PM
Advertisement

MiddleTiger Offline
2nd String

(08-13-2012 09:05 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Finally, someone speaking for the BE who has a brain, and isn't afraid to use it.

I think that will become the norm now that the Providence Mafia has been ousted from power.
08-13-2012 09:07 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
Sound good. Sounds like we are finally going to be proactive. Wow, who could believe that?COGS
08-13-2012 10:17 PM
Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
The adults have finally made it home.

The Big East has operated like a teenage weekend party for far too long and now some veteran supervision and guidance when a serious and measured approach is needed may finally be here.

Game on.
08-13-2012 11:23 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(08-13-2012 08:35 PM)General Mike Wrote:  
Chris Bevilacqua Wrote:"I haven’t frankly paid much attention to that," Bevilacqua said of the forecasting. "I’m not sure where they are coming from. Usually when someone is putting out numbers this early, someone has got some kind of agenda. I’m not going to get engaged in that conversation now."

Great Dig at former CBS Sports and now ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy (and others at both CBS Sports and ESPN)...where the fired Marinatto was the one crying in spilled milk (predicting DOOMS DAY for Big East since the conf fired him and didn't take his lead on inviting Villanova Football, etc...).
08-14-2012 07:26 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(08-14-2012 07:26 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 08:35 PM)General Mike Wrote:  

Great Dig at former CBS Sports and now ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy (and others at both CBS Sports and ESPN)...where the fired Marinatto was the one crying in spilled milk (predicting DOOMS DAY for Big East since the conf fired him and didn't take his lead on inviting Villanova Football, etc...).

Marinatto was not crying spilled milk over being fired. In fact he hasn't said anything. Everyone needs to quit bashing people over made up imagined stuff. The guy lives the league. All he ever has done us work for the league his whole adult life. It was him who kept the league together after the first raid by convincing the schools that adding UofL, Cincy, USF, Marquette and DePaul was a good idea. Four out of those five were really good additions that made the league we all know and love. Bashing a guy like that for saying something he never said is sad, immature and uncalled for. Should he still be commish? No, not at all. Does he deserve our respect for what he's done for this league? Of course he does.
08-14-2012 07:42 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(08-14-2012 07:42 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Marinatto was not crying spilled milk over being fired. In fact he hasn't said anything. Everyone needs to quit bashing people over made up imagined stuff. The guy lives the league. All he ever has done us work for the league his whole adult life. It was him who kept the league together after the first raid by convincing the schools that adding UofL, Cincy, USF, Marquette and DePaul was a good idea. Four out of those five were really good additions that made the league we all know and love. Bashing a guy like that for saying something he never said is sad, immature and uncalled for. Should he still be commish? No, not at all. Does he deserve our respect for what he's done for this league? Of course he does.

I salute you for having the courage to make the above statement. Perhaps Marrinato needed replacing, but I think his heart was probably in the right place. No use kicking a man after he is down.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 08:07 AM by Gray Avenger.)
08-14-2012 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
Marinatto's heart was always in the right place. He was just a holdover from a different era of college sports.
08-14-2012 08:10 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 08:06 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(08-14-2012 07:42 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Marinatto was not crying spilled milk over being fired. In fact he hasn't said anything. Everyone needs to quit bashing people over made up imagined stuff. The guy lives the league. All he ever has done us work for the league his whole adult life. It was him who kept the league together after the first raid by convincing the schools that adding UofL, Cincy, USF, Marquette and DePaul was a good idea. Four out of those five were really good additions that made the league we all know and love. Bashing a guy like that for saying something he never said is sad, immature and uncalled for. Should he still be commish? No, not at all. Does he deserve our respect for what he's done for this league? Of course he does.

I salute you for having the courage to make the above statement. Perhaps Marrinato needed replacing, but I think his heart was probably in the right place. No use kicking a man after he is down.
Yep. Marinatto was not the right guy going forward, but that's honestly not his fault.
08-14-2012 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
lmao good read, like the hire
08-14-2012 10:09 AM
CougarTruth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston, nBE

Actually, while I understand why he earned the nickname of "meatball", he selected the best replacement schools to counter the obvious football quality issue. He deserves kudos for his courage on that, albeit he was a year too late in acting.
08-14-2012 10:38 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(08-14-2012 10:38 AM)CougarTruth Wrote:  

Actually, while I understand why he earned the nickname of "meatball", he selected the best replacement schools to counter the obvious football quality issue. He deserves kudos for his courage on that, albeit he was a year too late in acting.

Thats not his fault, thats the members fault. They are the ones who decide to expand or not, and they are the ones who decide on who to add. The FB schools couldn't ever agree on who to bring in. TCU was a slam dunk but no could agree on who else. Some wanted UCF while some blocked it, some wanted Memphis while some blocked that. Some wanted further penetration into Texas while some blocked that. They wanted Army and Navy 4 years ago but those two balked at a strange semi-FB membership.

Yes, if they added Houston, UCF, Boise, Memphis and SD St along with TCU it might have helped stabilized the league but hindsight is 20/20.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 11:04 AM by NJRedMan.)
08-14-2012 11:02 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(08-14-2012 11:02 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(08-14-2012 10:38 AM)CougarTruth Wrote:  

Thats not his fault, thats the members fault. They are the ones who decide to expand or not, and they are the ones who decide on who to add. The FB schools couldn't ever agree on who to bring in. TCU was a slam dunk but no could agree on who else. Some wanted UCF while some blocked it, some wanted Memphis while some blocked that. Some wanted further penetration into Texas while some blocked that. They wanted Army and Navy 4 years ago but those two balked at a strange semi-FB membership.

Yes, if they added Houston, UCF, Boise, Memphis and SD St along with TCU it might have helped stabilized the league but hindsight is 20/20.
I don't think anybody coming in would have kept anybody from leaving, especially with the new TV deals being announced long before the Big East's.

However, I can certainly vouch for the "some wanted Memphis and some blocked it" part. I lived through that, very painfully. I managed a full recovery, though. 03-lmfao

Btw, the majority of those who blocked Memphis have left the building now.
08-14-2012 11:29 AM
Advertisement

The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF

[/quote]

KL is correct though in that.....a lot of this is coming from McMurphy but based on his track record....it is McMurphy with the axe to grind. He in not an unbiased reporter......McMurphy is well connected but he also DOES take sides.
08-14-2012 11:46 AM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(08-14-2012 11:46 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  
(08-14-2012 07:26 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

KL is correct though in that.....a lot of this is coming from McMurphy but based on his track record....it is McMurphy with the axe to grind. He in not an unbiased reporter......McMurphy is well connected but he also DOES take sides.
[/quote]

Yup. at those big east pressers McMurphy and Meatball were basically setting up golf and dinner plans while asking questions, meatball gets the axe and McMurphy takes said axe and starts to grind it. Oh well, he's locked up in ESPN jail now.
08-14-2012 12:06 PM
dshawfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SDSU Aztecs
(08-13-2012 08:30 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-13-2012 08:08 PM)FULL_MONTY Wrote:  http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index....cqu_1.html

Its nice to have a real professional manning the turrent for a change.

From the article, this is what speaks to me,

"They are, I think, in a very good position in that the value of live scarce intellectual property sports rights are only going up," he said. "In this case they’re the last conference franchise into the market for a long, long time. The timing is actually very good. Hard to predict – I don’t have a crystal ball -- the actual outcome. I can tell you with great certainty there will always be a lot of buyers for valuable live sports rights and there’s only one Big East conference, that’s typically a very good place.

"There’s a scarcity element to here on top of the fact the media ecosystem is placing a premium nowadays on live sports rights. I think there will be a very favorable opportunity in front of the Big East. It’s not just going to depend on how well they think about strategically approaching the market and all of their packing they might consider.

It appears that we may be in the right place at the right time. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next few months.
08-14-2012 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.