Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why I believe we will should win the Mac West and go to a bowl game
Bookmark and Share
NUPudge Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU Football
Exclamation Why I believe we will should win the Mac West and go to a bowl game
Okay, call me crazy.. Here"s my pre-talk..

I think more pressure will be on other teams to win the game then us and will causes them to burst like a water balloon.. Things we have in our favor:
1) This team will be hungry from last year, knowing 3 bad plays costed us a bowl game. (this will not happen again because we a year more experienced in situational football).
2) The offense should be much better with the  O-line, qb and more weapons.
3) This team will play with a chip on its their shoulder, to show/prove last season wasn't luck.
4) Best head coach in the Mac.
5) The Mac conference still don't believe/respect this team.
6) We have BIG horses now. BCS sizes players at every positions check it out on the roster. No more small kids.
7) This is a running/passing team unlike other schools who are passing/running team.
8) English has the type of kids he wanted and recruited on the roster. No more placing kids in positions because of no other options.
9) "Again" Everyone is underestimating what we did last year with missing a bowl game by 7 points in 3 games.
10) better fan support, I attended a few home games and the place was electicfying with the fans who was there. I really loved the student section. 
11) It coach last year under contract, yes I said it.
12) Our conditioning is the best in the Mac (IMO)
13) The Mac west will be beating the hell outta each other.
08-07-2012 04:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Why I believe we will should win the Mac West and go to a bowl game
(08-07-2012 04:18 AM)NUPudge Wrote:  Okay, call me crazy.. Here"s my pre-talk..

I think more pressure will be on other teams to win the game then us and will causes them to burst like a water balloon.. Things we have in our favor:
1) This team will be hungry from last year, knowing 3 bad plays costed us a bowl game. (this will not happen again because we a year more experienced in situational football).
2) The offense should be much better with the  O-line, qb and more weapons.
3) This team will play with a chip on its their shoulder, to show/prove last season wasn't luck.
4) Best head coach in the Mac.
5) The Mac conference still don't believe/respect this team.
6) We have BIG horses now. BCS sizes players at every positions check it out on the roster. No more small kids.
7) This is a running/passing team unlike other schools who are passing/running team.
8) English has the type of kids he wanted and recruited on the roster. No more placing kids in positions because of no other options.
9) "Again" Everyone is underestimating what we did last year with missing a bowl game by 7 points in 3 games.
10) better fan support, I attended a few home games and the place was electicfying with the fans who was there. I really loved the student section. 
11) It coach last year under contract, yes I said it.
12) Our conditioning is the best in the Mac (IMO)
13) The Mac west will be beating the hell outta each other.
Can't disagree with any of those points. Good stuff, especially #2,4, 8, and 12.
08-07-2012 05:59 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Two points of concern:

1) We haven't shown the ability to pass the ball effectively or consistently. Until AG and the receivers show the ability to do so, we are not a bowl team.

2) So far, Karcher is one of the worst OC's I've ever seen. Does he improve as AG becomes more experienced? We will see...
08-07-2012 09:03 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Sadly, I agree with the Karcher sentiments. We saw far too many 3-and-outs that consisted of hand off, hand off, QB draw. Karcher needs to be more inventive and balanced with the play calling. We are a good running team, but when we only throw it 15 times a game, teams will load up the box.

In games when Karcher let Gillett throw it around a little bit, namely Ball State and Buffalo, we saw a potent offense. Hopefully he remembers those games.
08-07-2012 09:15 AM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

(08-07-2012 09:15 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Sadly, I agree with the Karcher sentiments. We saw far too many 3-and-outs that consisted of hand off, hand off, QB draw. Karcher needs to be more inventive and balanced with the play calling. We are a good running team, but when we only throw it 15 times a game, teams will load up the box.

In games when Karcher let Gillett throw it around a little bit, namely Ball State and Buffalo, we saw a potent offense. Hopefully he remembers those games.

From everything I have read about English in 2012, he is saying he want to pass the ball. If the head coach is saying that, I am sure he is will make it happen....

He better.......
08-07-2012 09:35 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I'd rather be a good running team than a good passing team. Running the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage plays well in every type of weather condition and shortens games. The reason why Karcher didn't call a lot of passing plays was because we had 1 bonafide threat, namely Hoskins and a bunch of okay receivers. I see the talent at WR has been greatly upgraded (even though losing Olds hurts). Also, a 4 year starter at QB is a HUGE advantage. You will see more balance this year, but the bread and butter is going to be running that ball, moving the chains.
08-07-2012 05:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-07-2012 05:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I'd rather be a good running team than a good passing team. Running the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage plays well in every type of weather condition and shortens games. The reason why Karcher didn't call a lot of passing plays was because we had 1 bonafide threat, namely Hoskins and a bunch of okay receivers. I see the talent at WR has been greatly upgraded (even though losing Olds hurts). Also, a 4 year starter at QB is a HUGE advantage. You will see more balance this year, but the bread and butter is going to be running that ball, moving the chains.

I agree with you, Bob.
08-07-2012 05:55 PM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

(08-07-2012 05:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I'd rather be a good running team than a good passing team. Running the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage plays well in every type of weather condition and shortens games. The reason why Karcher didn't call a lot of passing plays was because we had 1 bonafide threat, namely Hoskins and a bunch of okay receivers. I see the talent at WR has been greatly upgraded (even though losing Olds hurts). Also, a 4 year starter at QB is a HUGE advantage. You will see more balance this year, but the bread and butter is going to be running that ball, moving the chains.

This is what I was trying to point out on #7
08-07-2012 07:27 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

Look, you have to be able to do both.

As long as English is around, we will be a run-oriented team. But, we need to possess the ability to throw the ball downfield to keep defenses honest. Otherwise defenses will cheat, and GOOD defenses will shut us down.

Your assumption that a team can either be good at passing or running, but not both, is intellectually dishonest, and creates a false debate that had nothing to do with my original statement.
08-07-2012 09:23 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2012 09:23 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

As long as English is around, we will be a run-oriented team. But, we need to possess the ability to throw the ball downfield to keep defenses honest. Otherwise defenses will cheat, and GOOD defenses will shut us down.

Your assumption that a team can either be good at passing or running, but not both, is intellectually dishonest, and creates a false debate that had nothing to do with my original statement.
Actually, I never said that a team can either be a good passing team or a good running team but not both. I think what I said was that EMU was smart enough to play to their strength last season, as they were extremely limited at WR and very strong on the OL and possessed great depth at RB, combined with a QB who is extremely gifted at running the football. I also pointed out that Eastern has done a good job upgrading the WR position for this season and Gillett, as a 4 year starter, will more than likely show improvement in the passing game. Finally, it's my assertion that although there will be more balance offensively, the strength of the team will continue to be its ability to pound the rock. Intellectually dishonest? Hilarious.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 09:41 PM by Bob Wickersham.)
08-07-2012 09:40 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Interesting most comments focus on offense when the big question mark is the defense. If we had the DB and DL we had last year bowl game no problem. I think honestly both the DL and the DB are a notch down from last year.
08-08-2012 03:22 AM
NUPudge Offline
1st String

Emu79,
I also noticed that on most of the postings, people really focused on offense. If you look at my reasoning, I only listed 2 outta 13. I even posted more about Coach then the offensive side of the ball.. I think it's more about the mental mindset of these young men. You must admit Coach now have the speed, sizes, strength, coaches, training, facilities, administration support, etc to move to the next level.

Similar to getting cheeks-in-seats, we have to get the kids to change their mindset (IMO). I believe we will be good but I am not sure how good (we have a huge upside). This is were Coach can really make a name for himself and prove  he can make the next coaching leap at the collegial level in his career. I have no doubt he can, but can he do it now? I am saying this knowing we may lose him if we win the Mac Championship and win a bowl game.

Now to your point, I believe defensively we should be good, (I know call me crazy). LB'ers we will be very good and deep. From what I've noticed the DL should have nice size and provide coaches with a decent rotation throughout the games. We must stay away from injuries.

The db's okay you got me there, Pollard will/should be solid, Roses, will play much better, or get replaced (coach can you hear me). From the games I attended his side (the left side) were picked on like a fruit tree during harvest time. Not saying it was always Roses fault, just his side.

The safety location is another concern, not a problem. I do recall Coach talking about this spot a few times after spring-ball. I know Cotton & Johnson didn't play much and probably the reason Coach went out to secure transfer (3) safeties. from what I read Both (Cotton and Johnson) came in with high expectations as football players now they must get it right, sooner then later or replace them..
08-08-2012 07:21 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I agree with your assessment on the LBs, DL-hm yes we lots of possibilities but we're replacing some four year starters. Teams used to run at this, this year I expect them to focus more on a passing attack when they play us.
08-08-2012 07:47 AM
Advertisement

NUPudge Offline
1st String

(08-08-2012 07:47 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I agree with your assessment on the LBs, DL-hm yes we lots of possibilities but we're replacing some four year starters. Teams used to run at this, this year I expect them to focus more on a passing attack when they play us.

I am sure the coach and the coaches are aware of this and will prepare to defense against it. I am assuming that we will be blitzing much more and using more passing packages when it comes to 3rd downs. As I said before we need Pollard and Roses to be locked down corners.
08-08-2012 08:54 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2012 09:40 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 09:23 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Actually, I never said that a team can either be a good passing team or a good running team but not both. I think what I said was that EMU was smart enough to play to their strength last season, as they were extremely limited at WR and very strong on the OL and possessed great depth at RB, combined with a QB who is extremely gifted at running the football. I also pointed out that Eastern has done a good job upgrading the WR position for this season and Gillett, as a 4 year starter, will more than likely show improvement in the passing game. Finally, it's my assertion that although there will be more balance offensively, the strength of the team will continue to be its ability to pound the rock. Intellectually dishonest? Hilarious.

Thanks for clarifying your position on the matter.
08-08-2012 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.