RE: MBB: UALR Schedule
LOL, about half and half.
08-04-2012 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
We get La Tech in a one year home and home.

We play a couple of road BCS games, which I am for a couple.

The conference has increased its games to 20, which I like too. No reason for us to be out trying to find games with other mid-majors and not just playing everyone in conference twice. We all are looking for that kind of game.

It is a great schedule for me the mid-major fan. We have a real chance to win everyone of those games, does not mean we will, but there are no games like UK on here that we know we are going to get beat to death (oddly we were in the UK game until the last 10 minutes).
08-04-2012 07:31 AM
Advertisement

ToppersInDaVille Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
"The conference has increased its games to 20, which I like too. No reason for us to be out trying to find games with other mid-majors and not just playing everyone in conference twice. We all are looking for that kind of game."

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is what separates WKU from the rest of this conference in basketball.

Everybody in this conference should be out trying to find other mid-majors to improve their schedules. But instead we now have to play 20 freakin' conference games, with half of those against teams that probably will be in the 200s in the RPI.

Unless every school in this conference commits to basketball, the fewer games against our own, the better!
08-04-2012 08:12 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

We have gone out and found a schedule full of games over the last 5 years, probably better than anyone else's in the conference. I would like to keep doing it but most of the schools here end up with a lot of non d1 schools on the schedule, so just going ahead and playing the conference games gives them a way to schedule other mid-majors.

Now, WKU is not an at large team even in the Valley most years, so don't get to full of yourself. You are no worse off from the this schedule. To prove different you need to walk through the conference and I don't think WKU can do it because there are some other good teams here.
08-04-2012 09:31 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Looks like a pretty good schedule. I do like how the SBC is doing both games home and away for all conference mates... makes it a little nicer than just playing a team once and then having no chance for revenge.

On a side note - I got a card in the mail from the MT athletic association regarding our women's basketball program. Their goal this year is to increase our attendance to around 8,000 a game. It asked us to invite everyone we know to the games and get the team the support they deserve. And let me just say... our women's team has been good before but they'll be one hell of a team this year (and next)... Top 25 is likely I'd say.
08-04-2012 10:12 AM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-04-2012 09:31 AM)insideualr Wrote:  We have gone out and found a schedule full of games over the last 5 years, probably better than anyone else's in the conference. I would like to keep doing it but most of the schools here end up with a lot of non d1 schools on the schedule, so just going ahead and playing the conference games gives them a way to schedule other mid-majors.

Now, WKU is not an at large team even in the Valley most years, so don't get to full of yourself. You are no worse off from the this schedule. To prove different you need to walk through the conference and I don't think WKU can do it because there are some other good teams here.

tell middle they were no worse last year as each conference WIN made the plummet in rpi because we have joke schools that build a team with all jucos and txfers.

this type of scheduling won't last more than 2 years. the better schools will hate it. the joke schools will hate because they can't whore out their schedules to pay for football.
08-04-2012 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(08-04-2012 11:43 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 09:31 AM)insideualr Wrote:  We have gone out and found a schedule full of games over the last 5 years, probably better than anyone else's in the conference. I would like to keep doing it but most of the schools here end up with a lot of non d1 schools on the schedule, so just going ahead and playing the conference games gives them a way to schedule other mid-majors.

tell middle they were no worse last year as each conference WIN made the plummet in rpi because we have joke schools that build a team with all jucos and txfers.

this type of scheduling won't last more than 2 years. the better schools will hate it. the joke schools will hate because they can't whore out their schedules to pay for football.

I think most mid-majors that lose the 1st game of the conference tournament are out from our level of league.

Just schedule good rpi teams with your non conference games and win them. If you get beat by the weak teams in the conference, then you got beat not much you can say about.
08-04-2012 02:06 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-04-2012 02:06 PM)insideualr Wrote:  

I think most mid-majors that lose the 1st game of the conference tournament are out from our level of league.

Just schedule good rpi teams with your non conference games and win them. If you get beat by the weak teams in the conference, then you got beat not much you can say about.

false: even the joke schools that have 10 seniors every other year because of juco/recruiting policies are decent by conference play. they look like crap taking their payday beatings but by games 14-28 they are usually decent. unfortunately by then their rpi is sub 300. you play 20 conference games and your rpi plummets.

and it does matter for seeding purposes. you win the conference and get a 16 seed because joke university drags you down.
08-04-2012 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

(08-04-2012 03:18 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 02:06 PM)insideualr Wrote:  

false: even the joke schools that have 10 seniors every other year because of juco/recruiting policies are decent by conference play. they look like crap taking their payday beatings but by games 14-28 they are usually decent. unfortunately by then their rpi is sub 300. you play 20 conference games and your rpi plummets.

and it does matter for seeding purposes. you win the conference and get a 16 seed because joke university drags you down.

I understand the rpi issue but the only fix you have to that in the sbc is to move out or win the games you should win. Win 25 games and get a good win over a BCS school and you should be in at a 14 or 13 which is about as good as it gets for a sbc school.
08-04-2012 03:23 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
...and whats wrong with basketball being used to pay for football??04-rock
08-04-2012 04:16 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
Part of the problem has been a few teams like FIU who try gimmicks like hiring Isiah Thomas and ULM having APR issues having two of the worst programs in D1.

Scheduling is an even worse problem. Every school should play in a mid season tournament every year which gives a chance to get some better rpi school at a neutral site. Last time we got an at large in the tournament, the mid season tournament was the rpi jump that got the bid.

With FIU going away, the rpi goes up anyway. We should improve if UTA and Georgia State stay at the same level. Texas State needs to step up their game but their program is a big improvement over FIU.
08-04-2012 04:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.