Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

California says it all
OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

I Root For: Old Dominion
California says it all
Note the mess California is in came from being Democrat controlled. Running the country like California is going to be different how? Even the Cali voters have figured it out - Bad, bad, bad for Obama, Mr. Big Spending, Big Gov't, and Big Taxes, and Big Deficits himself.

http://news.yahoo.com/cash-strapped-cali...33956.html

Cash Strapped California Cities Backing off Asking for Tax Hikes

Quote: LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Californian cities hobbled by crippling deficits are rushing to declare fiscal emergencies to help solve their money problems, yet they are backing away from the tax increases that such declarations make possible.

Over the past six months, city councils in at least seven municipalities invoked a state law which allows them to put tax hikes on the ballot much more quickly in the event of a "fiscal emergency."

Burdened by expensive public employee contracts and the fall-out from the housing meltdown, the cities are struggling to avoid the fate Stockton and San Bernardino, both of which recently filed for bankruptcy protection.

But now some of those cities are thinking twice about the wisdom of seeking tax hikes.

On July 31, the Los Angeles suburb city of Duarte dropped a proposed ballot initiative to hike its local sales tax by up to 1/2 percent when the proposal couldn't muster the required unanimous vote of its five-member city council.

A day earlier, the city council of Stanton, in Orange County, voted 5-0 against a ballot measure that would increase its utility tax from 5 percent to 7 percent. Mayor Carol Warren cited "signs of improvement" in first quarter business activity.

In June, Stanton voters had rejected a council proposal for a similar tax increase on electricity, natural gas and telephone service.

The best (highest rated) comments, which tells the true Nov. 6 story:

Quote: You know, these cities could always cut their spend.... Oh... That's right. Can't do that!
71 thumbs up, 0 down

Quote: You are going to have to cut pensions and retiree health care. Wake up.
52 thumbs up, 0 down

Quote: Keep letting the illegals rape your cities.
42 up, 0 down

Quote: Say what????? People in CALIFORNIA are revolting against tax increases???? I thought the liberal answer to all problems financial could be fixed with a tax increase....
63 up, 1 down (Roberta?)
08-03-2012 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: California says it all
More on Calif, and the failure of progressives, including Gov Moonbeam

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/02/4684138...venue.html

http://pjmedia.com/michaelwalsh/2012/07/...a-for-you/
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 08:44 AM by DrTorch.)
08-03-2012 08:41 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
What *really* ironic here is that they are now blaming facebook for a big part of their budget issue..

In Governor moonbeam has bet his states budget on the stock market. I wonder what he thinks about letting people invest their social security in the market 03-wink
08-03-2012 09:16 AM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I don't think California can be saved, only its death prolonged. The coroner will list the cause as suicide.
08-03-2012 09:21 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
California elected officials encourages illegal voting. Thats why the people paying the bills have lost complete control. It is where the liberal agenda is heading.
08-03-2012 09:21 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(08-03-2012 07:43 AM)OLD DIRTY Wrote:  Note the mess California is in came from being Democrat controlled. Running the country like California is going to be different how? Even the Cali voters have figured it out - Bad, bad, bad for Obama, Mr. Big Spending, Big Gov't, and Big Taxes, and Big Deficits himself.

http://news.yahoo.com/cash-strapped-cali...33956.html

Cash Strapped California Cities Backing off Asking for Tax Hikes

Quote: LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Californian cities hobbled by crippling deficits are rushing to declare fiscal emergencies to help solve their money problems, yet they are backing away from the tax increases that such declarations make possible.

Over the past six months, city councils in at least seven municipalities invoked a state law which allows them to put tax hikes on the ballot much more quickly in the event of a "fiscal emergency."

Burdened by expensive public employee contracts and the fall-out from the housing meltdown, the cities are struggling to avoid the fate Stockton and San Bernardino, both of which recently filed for bankruptcy protection.

But now some of those cities are thinking twice about the wisdom of seeking tax hikes.

On July 31, the Los Angeles suburb city of Duarte dropped a proposed ballot initiative to hike its local sales tax by up to 1/2 percent when the proposal couldn't muster the required unanimous vote of its five-member city council.

A day earlier, the city council of Stanton, in Orange County, voted 5-0 against a ballot measure that would increase its utility tax from 5 percent to 7 percent. Mayor Carol Warren cited "signs of improvement" in first quarter business activity.

In June, Stanton voters had rejected a council proposal for a similar tax increase on electricity, natural gas and telephone service.

The best (highest rated) comments, which tells the true Nov. 6 story:

Quote: You know, these cities could always cut their spend.... Oh... That's right. Can't do that!
71 thumbs up, 0 down

Quote: You are going to have to cut pensions and retiree health care. Wake up.
52 thumbs up, 0 down

Quote: Keep letting the illegals rape your cities.
42 up, 0 down

Quote: Say what????? People in CALIFORNIA are revolting against tax increases???? I thought the liberal answer to all problems financial could be fixed with a tax increase....
63 up, 1 down (Roberta?)
I knew Bush was going to bankrupt the country since he had a record of doing that in his private sector businesses.
08-03-2012 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.