ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This makes me wish we'd stayed CAA
Stanger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
This makes me wish we'd stayed CAA
So we'd be part of the NBC Sports deal, and not have to mess with ESPN.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/07/exvirgin...joins-espn

Can you imagine doucheberg discussing one of our games? I doubt he'd say anything good.

Note - this is the only reason to stay CAA
08-01-2012 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: This makes me wish we'd stayed CAA
(08-01-2012 10:34 AM)Stanger Wrote:  So we'd be part of the NBC Sports deal, and not have to mess with ESPN.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/07/exvirgin...joins-espn

Can you imagine doucheberg discussing one of our games? I doubt he'd say anything good.

Note - this is the only reason to stay CAA

That's enough to make one want to gag....01-rivals
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 10:40 AM by ODUalum78.)
08-01-2012 10:39 AM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
Conference USA's main TV deal is with CBS and Fox Sports, not ESPN.
08-01-2012 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUR8R Offline
All American

That mean's instead of Greenberg we will get Gottlieb instead.
08-01-2012 11:34 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
You know who I'd wish would join the Conference USA staff as a football announcer? Ron Franklin. Outside of that verbal "train wreck" he had with a female sideline reporter, the guy's got chops. Would love to hear him do Conference USA football games.
08-01-2012 04:36 PM
Monarch Nation Offline
Bench Warmer

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that makes me wish we had stayed in the Can't Attract Attention.
08-02-2012 08:40 AM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(08-02-2012 08:40 AM)Monarch Nation Wrote:  There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that makes me wish we had stayed in the Can't Attract Attention.

I wasn't in favor of the move but have decided to withhold any further judgement until at least 5 years have passed. You'd be well advised to do the same.
08-02-2012 09:15 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I'm not going to open old wounds, but I have my reservations about this "new" CUSA.

Nontheless, I did buy the spanish version of Rosetta Stone and I'm saving my money to attend the CUSA Basketball Tournament in El Paso.
08-02-2012 09:57 AM
Monarch Nation Offline
Bench Warmer

I understand how you feel DM, and on the MN board I supported your right to make your opinion known. But I've hated the CAA for twenty years or more (I have been talkig about this privately for years) knowing that ODU had and has the potential to be so much more than it was and is.
08-02-2012 09:58 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(08-02-2012 09:58 AM)Monarch Nation Wrote:  I understand how you feel DM, and on the MN board I supported your right to make your opinion known. But I've hated the CAA for twenty years or more (I have been talkig about this privately for years) knowing that ODU had and has the potential to be so much more than it was and is.

Interesting since I don't think I have an account on MN but I appreciate the support. I am certainly not rooting against success in C-USA, I just think it is a terrible mistake from which we may never recover. Hopefully I will once again be proved terribly wrong and will gladly accept my wet-noodle thrashing with a sheepish (not VCU-like) smile. And now I will go back to what I had hoped to be 5 years of radio-silence on this topic.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 10:30 AM by TheDancinMonarch.)
08-02-2012 10:13 AM
finalcloud Offline
2nd String

I think its pretty clear that moving to CUSA will benefit ODU. Look at the recruits already coming in for the football program. But benefit number one is NO MORE RICHMOND BIG BROWN DUMP!!
08-02-2012 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
I'm with ya, MN.

To me, our floundering (arguably decline) in athletics over the past 20 years would have to be in that same debate after the next 5 years. Hard for me to see ODU athletics in a worse state after 5 years with schools that invest like many of these do. As I've said many times, for a change, I'd like to be in a league where we don't have the absolute largest and best by nearly every single measure in athletic investment in facilities and fans. CUSA gives us a little moderation in that area, but I think after 5 years, we may find ourselves a little large for many of those peers as well. The league will have to have the same ambition that we have to really make it successful.

I do expect that playing sports in a mostly southern footprint is going to be huge for both our level of competition level and subsequent recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 10:15 AM by FearTheLion.)
08-02-2012 10:14 AM
Monarch Nation Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-02-2012 10:13 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 09:58 AM)Monarch Nation Wrote:  I understand how you feel DM, and on the MN board I supported your right to make your opinion known. But I've hated the CAA for twenty years or more (I have been talkig about this privately for years) knowing that ODU had and has the potential to be so much more than it was and is.

Interesting since I don't think I have an account on MN but I appreciate the support. I am certainly not rooting against success in C-USA, I just think it is a terrible mistake from which we may never recover. Hopefully I will once again be proved terribly wrong and will gladly accept my wet-noodle thrashing with a sheepish (not VCU-like) smile. And now I will go back to what I had hoped to be 5 years of radio-silence on this topic.

Sorry, I had you confused with another poster with similar opinions.
08-02-2012 12:03 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

The short sightedness and small mindedness of many of our fanbase is absolutely mindblowing.

Why better yourselves? It's not a risk worth taking right???!!! Jesus, get over it.
08-03-2012 07:28 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(08-03-2012 07:28 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  The short sightedness and small mindedness of many of our fanbase is absolutely mindblowing.

Why better yourselves? It's not a risk worth taking right???!!! Jesus, get over it.

Exactly. while I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinions, but the move to CUSA is a move UP. it does take away the regional aspect of the conf and I get that it will be harder to now travel to away games, but you don't see schools in the ACC, SEC, etc complaining about that. playing football games in Texas, FLA and LA is better than playing in Deleware, MA, and RI.
08-03-2012 08:21 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

The generosity of people always amazes me. Two people have actually conferred upon me the right to my own opinion. What a great country we live in! I am so thankful! 03-cloud9
08-03-2012 09:40 AM
Advertisement

odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
DM, don't mean to be disagreeable here, but you just told someone it would be advisable if they wait 5 years before they form their own opinion. Isn't that somewhat hypocritical? I think we've all got the right to form our opinions when we're ready, and then revise them as required. For the record, I think CUSA was the right move, and I am a wrestling alum/fan first & foremost (which means we're without a conference for 2013 as of now). But I think there will be more pro's than con's when this all shakes out. Will revise opinion where applicable.
08-03-2012 10:32 AM
djnva Offline
All American

(08-03-2012 09:40 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  The generosity of people always amazes me. Two people have actually conferred upon me the right to my own opinion.

Did they say you could have this opinion now or did they say you should wait 5 years?
08-03-2012 10:34 AM
Monarchs Offline
2nd String

The title and content of this thread makes me wish some people HAD stayed in the CAA...
08-03-2012 10:39 AM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

Gone are: SMU, Houston, Central Florida, Memphis

Replaced by: North Texas, UTSA, La Tech, FIU, UNCC, ODU

This IS NO LONGER the league some people make it out to be.
08-03-2012 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.