Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't expect Pitt/PSU to renew the rivalry any time soon
Bookmark and Share
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
I was thinking that one of the ways that PSU would try to put the sex abuse scandals and coverups behind them would be to rekindle the Pitt/PSU rivalry as an annual game. It would be one thing that could pull the state back together and create a buzz within PA as opposed to the ongoing talk about what went wrong in Happy Valley. But according to the article below, I don't think it will happen.

Quote:Non-Conference Scheduling

To generate more revenue, Penn State will seek high-profile non-conference opponents for “single games, home-and-home series and neutral-site games,” the Pocono Record reports. Dave Joyner said he has already had discussions with several schools but declined to identify them.

Scheduling tougher BCS opponents to play at Beaver Stadium and/or neutral sites should help the Nittany Lions reach that goal. It will also help them save on payments to lower level teams for non-conference games, which often ranges from a few hundred thousand dollars up to around $1 million.

Penn State’s schedules in 2013 and 2014 are currently full, but a game or two could be canceled if necessary. In 2013, the Nittany Lions are scheduled to play Syracuse at MetLife Stadium and host Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and Virginia. The 2014 season includes home games against Temple, Akron, and UMass and a game at Rutgers.

The Nittany Lions currently have one opening on both their 2015 and 2016 non-conference schedule.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/07/penn-...schedules/
07-28-2012 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Don't expect Pitt/PSU to renew the rivalry any time soon
(07-28-2012 12:39 PM)miko33 Wrote:  I was thinking that one of the ways that PSU would try to put the sex abuse scandals and coverups behind them would be to rekindle the Pitt/PSU rivalry as an annual game. It would be one thing that could pull the state back together and create a buzz within PA as opposed to the ongoing talk about what went wrong in Happy Valley. But according to the article below, I don't think it will happen.

Quote:Non-Conference Scheduling

To generate more revenue, Penn State will seek high-profile non-conference opponents for “single games, home-and-home series and neutral-site games,” the Pocono Record reports. Dave Joyner said he has already had discussions with several schools but declined to identify them.

Scheduling tougher BCS opponents to play at Beaver Stadium and/or neutral sites should help the Nittany Lions reach that goal. It will also help them save on payments to lower level teams for non-conference games, which often ranges from a few hundred thousand dollars up to around $1 million.

Penn State’s schedules in 2013 and 2014 are currently full, but a game or two could be canceled if necessary. In 2013, the Nittany Lions are scheduled to play Syracuse at MetLife Stadium and host Eastern Michigan, Kent State, and Virginia. The 2014 season includes home games against Temple, Akron, and UMass and a game at Rutgers.

The Nittany Lions currently have one opening on both their 2015 and 2016 non-conference schedule.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/07/penn-...schedules/
I'm confused. Does anyone at PSU actually think that "tougher BCS opponents" will be willing to play a one-and-done at Beaver Stadium? Who?
07-28-2012 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
They wanted to do a 2 for 1 with Pitt a while back so yeah, they can be pretty delusional.
07-28-2012 02:58 PM
Advertisement

rc79 Offline
Water Engineer

Nothing in that article could be interpreted as applying to what may, or may not, happen to a prospective series with Pitt, specifically, after 2017. You're just getting crazy about this stuff.

"But according to the article, I don't think it will happen." lol

It's day five of sanctions. None of us know what they will actually do 7 to 10 years out. Much of this prattle is focused on selling current players and recruits anyway.
07-28-2012 04:44 PM
miko33 Offline

(07-28-2012 04:44 PM)rc79 Wrote:  Nothing in that article could be interpreted as applying to what may, or may not, happen to a prospective series with Pitt, specifically, after 2017. You're just getting crazy about this stuff.

It's day five of sanctions. None of us know what they will actually do 7 to 10 years out. Much of this prattle is focused on selling current players and recruits anyway.

The article shows the mindset of the PSU leadership. Based on the fact that PSU wants tougher OOC schedules, that it wants to have more neutral site games and wants to have more one and done games at Beaver Stadium, it looks like they do not want to leave room for an annual commitment. You're absolutely correct in stating that this line of thinking may be premature on their part; however, it does does show the current mindset in Happy Valley. It doesn't look like Pitt is on their radar from what I read. That's just my opinion, but I believe that I'm correct on this.
07-28-2012 09:31 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

(07-28-2012 09:31 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
(07-28-2012 04:44 PM)rc79 Wrote:  Nothing in that article could be interpreted as applying to what may, or may not, happen to a prospective series with Pitt, specifically, after 2017. You're just getting crazy about this stuff.

The article shows the mindset of the PSU leadership. Based on the fact that PSU wants tougher OOC schedules, that it wants to have more neutral site games and wants to have more one and done games at Beaver Stadium, it looks like they do not want to leave room for an annual commitment. You're absolutely correct in stating that this line of thinking may be premature on their part; however, it does does show the current mindset in Happy Valley. It doesn't look like Pitt is on their radar from what I read. That's just my opinion, but I believe that I'm correct on this.

The thing is - these things are mutually exclusive.
07-29-2012 02:35 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
It really doesn't hurt my feeling if PSU/Pitt doesn't become a long term series. Granted the games was played up until I was 17/18, but we haven't played those guys in about 11/12 years now. I think this H/H will be awesome, and maybe it sparks further negotiations between both schools admins. The game is good for PA in general, but I'd rather see WVU on the schedule every year.
07-30-2012 10:32 AM
Advertisement

7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
I was in college for my sohpmore and senior years the last two time JoePa bussed his b*tches down to the burgh... it was my favorite weekends of my college days. (also add in 37-27 Notre Dame)

However, it just doesn't feel the same after 11/12 years and the scandal. JoePa got his wish, he killed the rivalry.
07-30-2012 11:51 AM
ithacan_warrior Offline
Water Engineer

(07-30-2012 10:32 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  It really doesn't hurt my feeling if PSU/Pitt doesn't become a long term series. Granted the games was played up until I was 17/18, but we haven't played those guys in about 11/12 years now. I think this H/H will be awesome, and maybe it sparks further negotiations between both schools admins. The game is good for PA in general, but I'd rather see WVU on the schedule every year.

I don't agree. The WVU game is good, but only because of the absence
of a regular PSU game.

Now that WVU is gone as a regular option I'm pretty sure I'd rather see PSU as the continued yearly rival.
07-31-2012 11:13 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
You may be right that the WVU game stepped up a little because of PSU's absence on the schedule. I really didn't grow up on CFB until I was about 16ish and at that time I mostly rooted for FSU. It wasn't until my Jr year in HS I started following Pitt and really became a fan when Larry Fitz was here. So the only rivalry I really knew was the BYB.
08-01-2012 05:09 AM
ithacan_warrior Offline
Water Engineer

Yeah, not to take anything away from the BYB. It was a great game and we've played WVU more than anybody. And especially recently there have been some heated matchups.

But when I was growing up, there was only one game in Pittsburgh everyone cared about, Pitt - PSU. And that was only because everyone had either gone to, or had family that went to one of those schools. Also it was almost always the last game of the year and there were times that it was significant.
08-01-2012 08:45 AM
miko33 Offline

(08-01-2012 08:45 AM)ithacan_warrior Wrote:  Yeah, not to take anything away from the BYB. It was a great game and we've played WVU more than anybody. And especially recently there have been some heated matchups.

But when I was growing up, there was only one game in Pittsburgh everyone cared about, Pitt - PSU. And that was only because everyone had either gone to, or had family that went to one of those schools. Also it was almost always the last game of the year and there were times that it was significant.

Yep. I think a lot of people forget how intense Pitt/PSU really was. IMO, PSU (and Pitt) would be a much stronger FB school (barring the scandals) if this rivalry would have lived. Then, the best of PA's HS FB players would be dreaming of playing for Pitt or PSU in the biggest game of the state. Now... a lot has changed because this rivalry died.
08-01-2012 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.