Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The ODU Smitty Platform
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
The ODU Smitty Platform
Enough of the pandering and non-committal crap coming out of our candidates for the next 4 years of Presidental power.

Someone has to put out a platform to define what their objectives are to rally the base and provide a vision for the future. Many of you will not like it, but at least I have the cojones to put it out there. Feel free to rip to shreds or offer your alternatives, but let's move this conversation towards policy instead of ideology.

1. Cut all federal budgets by 20% (including defense) . Hold management accountable to meeting targets using zero-based billing exercise and replace those that cannot.
2. End the Dept of Education. Cut funding to Dept of Agriculture by 50% - end electrification projects, subsidies to not produce, and loan programs. Cut funding to the DOL and HHS by 35% using criteria of item #1.
3. Overhaul federal retirement program to match realities of private sector. Don't interfere when state/municipalities do the same.
4. Overhaul Social Security. Raise current retirement age to meet funding requirements. Treat as you would a bankruptcy (since it is) and allow non-retirement aged citizens to opt-out, receiving a % of lifetime conributions (35-40%) rolled directly into a 401k account and exclusion waiver from receipt of SS benefits in the future.
5. Get completely out of the United Nations. End all funding and program support. If they want to stay in New York, do not provide any support for diplomatic movement around the city.
6. Repeal the Health-Care Bill. Encourage portability across state lines and pooling of small company employees to receive better premiums.
7. Get out of Afghanistan, completely.
8. Place annual and lifetime benefit cap on the recipient class benefits. Make sum total of Welfare, Section 8 housing, food stamps, WIC, and Medicaid reimbursements 20% below minimum wage for 2040 hours annually. Provide incentive at one-year and five-year anniversary of freedom from those programs.
9. Build the border fence....without walkways on bridges.
10. Allow 12-month period for all illegals to self-deport. For those who participate, expedite a new temporary worker visa for their return and collect all necessary taxes from these folks. Deport the rest with no opportunity to legally enter the US again.
11. Amend constitution to eliminate incentive to illegally cross border and gain status via"anchor-baby" approach.
12. Provide no entitlements to illegals or those on aforementioned temp worker visas.
13. End the federal CZAR nominations. If an agency needs a head, let them be approved through the Congressional process like othe appointees.
14. Place limts on what Congress can do during any lame-duck period.....namely items requiring funding and federal mandates.
15. Get out of the automotive, health-care, banking, and student aid businesses. Blow up Fannie Mae an Feddie Mac and sell off assets to where they belong - the private sector.
17. End gender and race-based quota systems for government employees.
18. Provide congressional oversight of agencies such as EPA to prevent unelected government officials from enacting mandates without a check and balance - i.e. naming CO2 as a priority polluatnt that needs taxing and government control. Roll back regulation mandate to 2000 level and let Congress legislate on the more recent EPA dictates.
19. Provide 4-year college tuition for anyone who honorably enlists and serves in the armed forces for 4 or more years. Use existing GI bill structure to build up funding for living expenses, etc during the post-military education years.
20. Expedite renewal of NRC permits and encourage growth of additional nuclear capability on existing sites (already started, but a VERY slow process). Set reasonable target to increase electrical generation from nukes by 50% over 15 year period.
21. Reduce all Foreign Aid by 50%.
22. Pass a balanced-budget amendment to mandate the federal government act similar to state governments in controlling spending within means of available revenues.
23. Recognize the right of homsexual couples to receive benefits previously reserved for heterosexual couples. Similarly recognize right of those individuals opposed to same-sex relationships to express their viewpoints, without threat of government "blockades" being placed around their business activities.
24. End federal funding of Planned Parenthood. Just because it is legal, does not mean it needs to federally-funded.
25. Disband public-sector unions, at federal, state, and local levels.

Cheers,
Smitty
07-26-2012 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: The ODU Smitty Platform
Oh, the libs on this board are going to crucify you. But I agree with everything except #23.
07-26-2012 11:05 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

96% agreement. Not a bad start.

And the lib response will be as telling as the intial platform..........
07-26-2012 11:09 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
You don't go far enough on #2 - Cut DoE, Cut hte DoA as well...

#14 would probably be tough to get through... you just never know what MIght occur
#18 - Dump the EPA!
#19 - I wouldn't say 100% providing for service .. but there should be a good "option" somewhere in there..
#23 - Disagree... sort of... Just remove all _benefits_ for marriage in terms of Govt. activity.
07-27-2012 02:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Where is the "Blow up the Federal Reserve".
Gut the IRS. one page Tax form.
Redefine the Treasury Dept. to protect the American people's assets. Make sustained debt unacceptable.

and for the wish list....

Increase the # of Supreme Court Judges to 12, 3 more original intent Conservative. Cut the SCOTUS funding and pay by 30%
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 06:53 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
07-27-2012 06:18 AM
OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

If the above was done, I could overlook the small disagreements on the basis of "good enough"
07-27-2012 07:37 AM
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

If these were enacted....wow....would be awesome. So many problems could be solved...
07-27-2012 08:14 AM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Now are we talking Washington "cuts" or "cut cuts"?

Big difference
07-27-2012 08:23 AM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2012 08:23 AM)maximus Wrote:  Now are we talking Washington "cuts" or "cut cuts"?

Big difference

obviously, real cuts, not those of future anticipated government growth projections.
07-27-2012 10:25 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
03-lmfao You guys are all 01-wingedeagle
07-27-2012 11:07 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
(07-27-2012 11:07 AM)RobertN Wrote:  03-lmfao You guys are all 01-wingedeagle

What would your solution be Robert? Where would you cut? How would you increase taxes in order to close the budget deficit?
07-27-2012 02:51 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Mr. Speaker I rise to offer specifics on dealing with federal departments. I would like to offer you the Jefferson-Coolidge amendment:

1) Department of Agriculture
Entirely eliminate. Strategic seed stockpile stays goes to DoD. Forestry service stays incorporated into DoI, but I suspect that isn't necessary.

2) Department of Commerce
Mostly Eliminate. Economic statistics stays. PTO stays. NOAA moves to DoI.

3) Department of Defense
Entirely Keep. Scale back operations.

4) Department of Education
Entirely Eliminate.

4) Department of Energy
Entirely Eliminate. Move the NNSA to the DoD. I suspect many of the national labs would be absorbed into the DoD.

5) Department of Health and Human Services
Mostly Eliminate. Keep CDC, FDA. Radically overhaul and reform FDA. Allow consent based bypassing of approval rules for untested drugs to patients if they sign a liability waiver.

6) Department of Homeland Security
Entirely Eliminate.

7) Department of Housing and Urban Development
Entirely Eliminate.

8) Department of the Interior
Entirely Keep. Order to auction off selected land holdings, particularly out west, and particularly of eliminated agencies.

9) Department of Justice
Mostly Keep. INTERPOL eliminated. Drug divisions eliminated. ATF and US Marshalls jobs should already be done by FBI, they are both eliminated as well.

10) Department of Labor
Entirely Eliminate.

11) Department of State
Mostly Eliminate. Eliminate all parts not pertaining to diplomacy, US citizens abroad, consulates, and ambassadors.

12) Department of Transportation
Mostly Eliminate. Keep FHA, FAA, FRA, though FRA should be nearly non-existant, and FHA should be almost entirely consumed with Interstates.

13) Department of the Treasury
Mostly Eliminate. Only keep Mint, Debt Service.

14) Department of Veterans Affairs
Entirely Keep.

15) All high value federal department buildings in DC vacated by eliminated agencies are leased out. All funds received are applied directly to debt service.
07-27-2012 03:23 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

The sale of some federal land to help pay down the debt.
07-27-2012 04:06 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

Many solid ideas that are well beyond ideology.

The one liberal who responded added a passing snipe, yet no counter platform of his own.

I expected at least some discussion from the left, but maybe they are too busy celebrating that "robust" 1.5% growth rate in Q2.
07-27-2012 06:37 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
First thing I would do at my inauguration: drop political party affiliation.

On the top of my list is SS reform. The CCPs Registered retirement savings plan seems like a good option.

I know this isn't the presidents job but I'd also aim to try and change the us vs them mentality that is aparently engrained in American DNA. It's not easy to measure on paper but it is a reason why we can't get anything done like civilized people around here.
07-27-2012 06:59 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

(07-27-2012 06:59 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  First thing I would do at my inauguration: drop political party affiliation.

On the top of my list is SS reform. The CCPs Registered retirement savings plan seems like a good option.

I know this isn't the presidents job but I'd also aim to try and change the us vs them mentality that is aparently engrained in American DNA. It's not easy to measure on paper but it is a reason why we can't get anything done like civilized people around here.

yea, good luck with that
07-27-2012 10:29 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(07-27-2012 10:29 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(07-27-2012 06:59 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  First thing I would do at my inauguration: drop political party affiliation.

yea, good luck with that

Oh I know that I'd have some work to do but I think it would be worth it. I come from a place where people can put differences behind them to do something that has to be done and it's pretty nice.
07-27-2012 10:36 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(07-27-2012 02:51 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(07-27-2012 11:07 AM)RobertN Wrote:  03-lmfao You guys are all 01-wingedeagle

What would your solution be Robert? Where would you cut? How would you increase taxes in order to close the budget deficit?
We should allow early retirement(gov't positions) and slim down the government through time with normal retirement and then limit the number of replacements. Of course, some more military cuts too. Go back to Clinton era taxes on those making $200,000/$250,000 though, I would be willing to go up a bit on the that to $300,000/$350,000. That is just for starters. I just don't think austerity with drastic cuts is just going to put us in recession/depression.
07-28-2012 12:33 AM
NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(07-27-2012 06:37 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Many solid ideas that are well beyond ideology.

The one liberal who responded added a passing snipe, yet no counter platform of his own.

I expected at least some discussion from the left, but maybe they are too busy celebrating that "robust" 1.5% growth rate in Q2.

Even FDR in the middle of the Depression had 9% growth rate.
07-29-2012 10:45 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(07-27-2012 04:06 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  The sale of some federal land to help pay down the debt.
Drill baby drill. **** the environment and national parks!
07-29-2012 11:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.