Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ND - ACC talking 6 games? - Blaudschun
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
ND - ACC talking 6 games? - Blaudschun
mark blaudschun‏@blauds

Word has it ACC and ND are considering 6 game a year plan with ACC teams plus other sports as part of a deal to bring ND to ACC

That's the number of games I thought was necessary for the ACC. Terry I know you didn't want to go more than 3 - 4 but that's what ND was already playing the ACC. But, of course, who knows how good his source is?

EDIT: Second tweet:

mark blaudschun‏@blauds

ACC and OBowl might work a deal to match their champ against one of four teams. ND, highest ranked SEC, Big 10 o Big 12 team available.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 09:45 PM by ringmaster.)
07-22-2012 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: ND - ACC talking 6 games? - Blaudschun
Edited your post to add in the link 03-wink

Interesting if true.
07-22-2012 09:45 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
That would work for me...allow NBC to pay visiting ACC schools a nice premium...ESPN should kick in some extra....so do we add Nova or GTOWN or maybe SJU to get to 16 in all sports but FB?
07-22-2012 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(07-22-2012 10:01 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  That would work for me...allow NBC to pay visiting ACC schools a nice premium...ESPN should kick in some extra....so do we add Nova or GTOWN or maybe SJU to get to 16 in all sports but FB?

I think if this is true it's Georgetown. If you look at the list of most valuable basketball programs they are far and away the best left in the Big East. They are the biggest rival of Syracuse and would provide some symmetry. UNC/Duke and SU/GU. St. John's would be an outside possibility, but if you look at all the losing seasons St. John's has had over the last dozen years you'll probably want Georetown instead.
07-22-2012 10:05 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-22-2012 09:41 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  mark blaudschun‏@blauds

Word has it ACC and ND are considering 6 game a year plan with ACC teams plus other sports as part of a deal to bring ND to ACC

That's the number of games I thought was necessary for the ACC. Terry I know you didn't want to go more than 3 - 4 but that's what ND was already playing the ACC.
But, of course, who knows how good his source is?

mark blaudschun‏@blauds

ACC and OBowl might work a deal to match their champ against one of four teams. ND, highest ranked SEC, Big 10 o Big 12 team available.

So really, ND would only be adding one more game to the Acc. They are already playing 4 Acc teams. Once Pitt comes to the Acc, that would be 5 games. Also, ND has a series scheduled with SU. That would make 6 games.That would easily leave 6 games for them to play their other big rivals.
07-22-2012 10:06 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
Make it 9/season and we have a deal. Nothing less is acceptable.
07-22-2012 10:07 PM
Advertisement

ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(07-22-2012 10:06 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 09:41 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  mark blaudschun‏@blauds

That's the number of games I thought was necessary for the ACC. Terry I know you didn't want to go more than 3 - 4 but that's what ND was already playing the ACC.
But, of course, who knows how good his source is?

mark blaudschun‏@blauds

So really, ND would only be adding one more game to the Acc. They are already playing 4 Acc teams. Once Pitt comes to the Acc, that would be 5 games. Also, ND has a series scheduled with SU. That would make 6 games.That would easily leave 6 games for them to play their other big rivals.

I think I read their average was a little over 3 ACC/Syracuse/Pitt teams played over the last five to 10 years or something like that. I'm too lazy right now to look through their schedules to check. So I think almost doubling their normal scheduling, and from our perspective, it's more than doubling because we didn't have Pitt in the fold in the past.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 10:11 PM by ringmaster.)
07-22-2012 10:10 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-22-2012 10:05 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 10:01 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  That would work for me...allow NBC to pay visiting ACC schools a nice premium...ESPN should kick in some extra....so do we add Nova or GTOWN or maybe SJU to get to 16 in all sports but FB?

I think if this is true it's Georgetown. If you look at the list of most valuable basketball programs they are far and away the best left in the Big East. They are the biggest rival of Syracuse and would provide some symmetry. UNC/Duke and SU/GU. St. John's would be an outside possibility, but if you look at all the losing seasons St. John's has had over the last dozen years you'll probably want Georetown instead.

That would kickass...but would MD allow it?...Nova might be a suitable compromise.
07-22-2012 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Heck if this pans out ND will almost already be an ACC member. Making them a football or all-sports member wouldn't be too hard...
07-22-2012 10:14 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2012 10:05 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  

If Georgetown joins it would give the ACC a double whammy come rivalry week.

Carolina - Duke (132 - 102)
'Cuse - G'town (48 - 39)

With their academics and basketball prestige they'd be the number 1 option opposite Notre Dame. St. John's may also have a chance having a better overall athletics program. The finished ranked in many different sports last year. Plus having St. John's may make it easier to get into the Garden on a rotating basis.
07-22-2012 10:16 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I don't think that working 15 hoops schools would be too hard. I wouldn't add another nonfootball school at all. If its 6 games I could see ND eventually bringing in its football program.

So who would be the 6 games be against? My guess: Pitt, Miami, BC, GT with 2 others on a yearly rotation.
07-22-2012 10:21 PM
Advertisement

ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

(07-22-2012 10:21 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I don't think that working 15 hoops schools would be too hard. I wouldn't add another nonfootball school at all. If its 6 games I could see ND eventually bringing in its football program.

So who would be the 6 games be against? My guess: Pitt, Miami, BC, GT with 2 others on a yearly rotation.

If the ACC does this they won't lay down and take it from ND the way the Big East did. There will be a provision for the opponents to rotate. Otherwise FSU, Clemson and others would never go for it and I wouldn't blame them. Heck, from a UNC perspective, I don't think we would take it either so you can imagine what their outlook on that permanent opponent arrangement would be.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 10:30 PM by ringmaster.)
07-22-2012 10:28 PM
ringmaster Offline
Special Teams

Here's a good and apparently well-timed David Teel article about the possibility of the ACC softening its hard-line stance on all-or-nothing membership that was released before Blauds tweet.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/college...718.column
07-22-2012 10:33 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(07-22-2012 10:33 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  Here's a good and apparently well-timed David Teel article about the possibility of the ACC softening its hard-line stance on all-or-nothing membership that was released before Blauds tweet.

ah, is he in Europe or something? How is this dated July 23rd? hahaha... I'll start reading now.

Edit:

Very interesting article... Seems like Swofford has had a change of heart regarding ND. The question is, has individual schools?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 10:44 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
07-22-2012 10:38 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(07-22-2012 10:13 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  That would kickass...but would MD allow it?...Nova might be a suitable compromise.

I think it would be Nova over Georgetown. With MD, UVA and VT we have a huge share of the DC market and I don't think Georgetown adds more than Nova would bring of the Philly market.
07-22-2012 10:48 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2012 10:21 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I don't think that working 15 hoops schools would be too hard. I wouldn't add another nonfootball school at all. If its 6 games I could see ND eventually bringing in its football program.

I'd prefer to stay at 15 and keep UConn waiting until ND decides to join as a full member. I don't want any partial members that don't play FCS football.

That would be the rotation I would guess. Or maybe just Pitt, Miami, BC and 3 rotating. The bulk of the GT rivalry was a long time ago.
07-22-2012 10:51 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2012 10:38 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 10:33 PM)ringmaster Wrote:  Here's a good and apparently well-timed David Teel article about the possibility of the ACC softening its hard-line stance on all-or-nothing membership that was released before Blauds tweet.

ah, is he in Europe or something? How is this dated July 23rd? hahaha... I'll start reading now.

Edit:

Very interesting article... Seems like Swofford has had a change of heart regarding ND. The question is, has individual schools?

He wouldn't be asking if he didn't already have the votes for it.

Edit : This could all be blown out of proportion. Rumors created because Swofford didn't sound 100% committed to full membership or else.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 02:03 AM by ChrisLords.)
07-22-2012 10:52 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

Edit:

Yeah, that's weird. Maybe he wrote it as tomorrow, so people don't think that it's "yesterday's news"?

I'm open to Notre Dame and partial membership, the only problem is - How long will it last? If the feeling is Notre Dame will eventually join for all sports, then it doesn't make sense to add another non-football member. The ACC would also have to deal with scheduling 15 teams. I'm not sure how easy of a task that would be. Another possible dilemma would be the 16th football member. Does UConn or Rutgers offer enough of a splash? How realistic is Penn State or Texas? Would schools with lower academics like Louisville and West Virginia be considered?
07-22-2012 11:00 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(07-22-2012 11:00 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

Edit:

Yeah, that's weird. Maybe he wrote it as tomorrow, so people don't think that it's "yesterday's news"?

I'm open to Notre Dame and partial membership, the only problem is - How long will it last? If the feeling is Notre Dame will eventually join for all sports, then it doesn't make sense to add another non-football member. The ACC would also have to deal with scheduling 15 teams. I'm not sure how easy of a task that would be. Another possible dilemma would be the 16th football member. Does UConn or Rutgers offer enough of a splash? How realistic is Penn State or Texas? Would schools with lower academics like Louisville and West Virginia be considered?

Not sure but a good problem to have...Lax would be a minor revenue maker...with a 6 team Lax elite league. Basketball would take a nice bump.
07-22-2012 11:07 PM
Star City Hokie Offline
Water Engineer

Notre Dame should pick 6 teams to play out of the 7 in the division. That way we get to include them in the standings. After "winning" the division a couple times but not getting to play in the ACC championship game, they might be willing to play more games so they can actually play in the game.

ACC Standings

ATLANTIC CONF
Clemson
Florida State
Maryland
North Carolina State
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

COASTAL CONF
Boston College
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
*Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Virginia

* Ineligible for division title
07-22-2012 11:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.