Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question on the BE Hoops TV deals?
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Question on the BE Hoops TV deals?
Of the money the 16 members the BE traditionally had split since 2005..

How much did ESPN pay?

How much did CBS pay?

How many games did each broadcast on any of CBS or ESPN's over the air or cable networks?

Were syndication rights included in the ESPN deal and how many games were tied in?

Figured this board would know.
07-19-2012 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Question on the BE Hoops TV deals?
Best I can tell:
CBS paid $9M for 18 games.
ESPN paid $20M a year for basketball (and $13,333,333 a year for football). That's the Big East Tournament plus I think 45 games on ESPN and ESPN2 and 30 games on ESPN-U.

I'm not sure what the arrangement was for third-tier local broadcast rights, whether or not that ran through ESPN.
Googling around, I found
http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/genrel/082906aaa.html
Which gives contractual minimums of
60 games on ESPN and ESPN2
66 games on ESPN Regional
30 games on ESPN-U or ESPN360
ESPN produces all of the conference games except for 5 CBS games.

Obviously, some of that terminology is obsolete, and there were probably agreements to bump some of those games up the ladder of exposure, but that's the data from 2006 when the contract was signed.
07-19-2012 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: Question on the BE Hoops TV deals?
(07-19-2012 10:55 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Best I can tell:
CBS paid $9M for 18 games.

Just to clarify, it is 18 appearances, not 18 games. A Big East team appearing as a road team or home team in a non-conference game counts as one appearance. Conference games are two appearances.
07-19-2012 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.