Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC contract question re: Raycom payout
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
ACC contract question re: Raycom payout
Not trolling just looking for credible info.

The original ACC ESPN+Raycom deal in 2010 broke out like this.

ESPN agreed to pay the ACC 155,000,000 per year (on average). This broke out to roughly 12.9mm per 12 team share.

Raycom sublicensed from ESPN a certain amount of content for roughly 50mm per year of that 155 million. So it breaks out like this...

105mm for tier 1 & 2
8.75mm per school

50mm for tier 3 tv rights
4.167mm per school.

(Before anyone attempts to clarify, I know schools also can sell their tier 3 radio, in-stadium ads, and other rights and usually get between 4-10mm depending on who they are. This discussion isn't about that)

Now my question is this: Has there been any new reports on how much Raycom is paying in the renegotiated TV deal? I like to stay up on the contracts and what revenue comes from what source.

All the numbers cited above come from here: http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/st...l?page=all

I know the new ACC deal is a wee bit over 17mm per school or 240mm for the league. https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/20...9657079808

I am curious to know how much Raycom is paying of that 240mm.

I thought I would ask this here to prevent the realignment board trolling from occurring.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 12:46 PM by 1845 Bear.)
07-11-2012 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: ACC contract question re: Raycom payout
I have no idea, Sammy, and I'm not even sure it's possible to find out with any certainty (unless, for some strange reason, they should decide to release that information...).

I suppose there may be some backhanded way to calculate it. Maybe Matt S. can help?
07-11-2012 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1845 Bear Offline

RE: ACC contract question Raycom payout
(07-11-2012 12:56 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I have no idea, Sammy, and I'm not even sure it's possible to find out with any certainty (unless, for some strange reason, they should decide to release that information...).

I suppose there may be some backhanded way to calculate it. Maybe Matt S. can help?

Only thoughts I had were the following-

Raycom pays the same for the same # of games- Leads to 1&2 of 13.57 and raycom of 3.57.

Raycom pays the same amount per school- Tier 1 & 2 worth 12.976mm. Tier 3 same as before renegotiations.

Raycom takes a similar % of the deal. New t1&2 is 11.613mm and raycom is estimated around 5.529mm

I think we can establish a realistic range of 3.5-5.5 depending on how you estimate it but it'd be nice to get some actual reports on it. That range leaves tier 1&2 ranging from 11.613mm up to 13.57mm.

Anyway just curious and since the old figure was reported publicly I thought I'd ask.
07-11-2012 01:05 PM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
Raycom is getting more tier 2 games essentially. Tier three games are going to ESPN3 or being sold to other networks (like the ASU game last year was sold to FSN).
07-11-2012 05:15 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Doesn't sound like any of Raycom's terms changed for when the new agreement kicks in, though they'll have two more games in the basketball tournament.

(07-11-2012 05:15 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Raycom is getting more tier 2 games essentially. Tier three games are going to ESPN3 or being sold to other networks (like the ASU game last year was sold to FSN).

The ASU game on FSN was one of Raycom's games. Raycom gets 13 over the air games (dubbed the ACC Network) plus 14 regional cable games (sold to a combo of FOX Sports, Comcast SportsNet & NESN).
07-12-2012 06:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

(07-12-2012 06:45 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  Doesn't sound like any of Raycom's terms changed for when the new agreement kicks in, though they'll have two more games in the basketball tournament.

(07-11-2012 05:15 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Raycom is getting more tier 2 games essentially. Tier three games are going to ESPN3 or being sold to other networks (like the ASU game last year was sold to FSN).

The ASU game on FSN was one of Raycom's games. Raycom gets 13 over the air games (dubbed the ACC Network) plus 14 regional cable games (sold to a combo of FOX Sports, Comcast SportsNet & NESN).

How many football and basketball games does raycom get in the 2010 deal and the new deal?
07-12-2012 08:08 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(07-12-2012 08:08 AM)Sammy11 Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 06:45 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  Doesn't sound like any of Raycom's terms changed for when the new agreement kicks in, though they'll have two more games in the basketball tournament.

How many football and basketball games does raycom get in the 2010 deal and the new deal?

I don't think the terms have changed, but we won't know until SU and Pitt become members. If anything could increase, maybe the RSN package. Over-the-air in football is tough to increase without split distributions. They do split distributions in MBK for the over-the-air package in some windows, maybe they would do more of those.

Its a negotiation between Raycom and ESPN, so they have time to figure it out. Note that the ESPN's sublicense agreements to FOX Sports and Comcast for SEC sports was not for the life of their TV deal, but only six years and is the reason why the SEC is expected to have a conference network once those agreements expire.

The existing deal
Football = 27 games. 13 over-the-air, 14 regional cable

Basketball
33* over the air regular season games (all conference games)
31 regional cable games (16 conference games, 15 non-conference games)
Coexist of the entire ACC tournament with ESPN national networks

*includes 1st UNC-Duke game where ESPN and Raycom coexist coverage

I checked prior years. 33 is right about the number that Raycom previously handled in syndication. The number of conference games in the RSN package increased from previously.

Raycom also manages a set of women's basketball games (RSNs only, includes part of tourney) and is allowed to syndicate any championships that ESPN elects not to carry to RSNs.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2012 06:33 PM by mattsarz.)
07-15-2012 06:27 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Is 'Raycom' shown in NY or PA anywhere?
07-16-2012 06:19 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
I don't believe it is shown in PA, however, I think I read an article that this is going to change soon.
07-16-2012 06:33 PM
Advertisement

Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
i believe raycom is shown on a local syracuse station in new york, CW6 oddly they didnt until the week after syracuse announced they were going to acc last year
07-16-2012 06:55 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-16-2012 06:19 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Is 'Raycom' shown in NY or PA anywhere?

Coincidently a channel in Syracuse (a CW sub channel) picked up the ACC GOTW one weekend prior to the big announcement last September...great timing, huh? I have a feeling a few more channels will pick up ACC games this year throughout Upstate NY and WPA.

Chris..they actually picked it up the week prior. clairvolent
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 04:35 PM by TexanMark.)
07-17-2012 04:34 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-17-2012 04:34 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(07-16-2012 06:19 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Is 'Raycom' shown in NY or PA anywhere?

Coincidently a channel in Syracuse (a CW sub channel) picked up the ACC GOTW one weekend prior to the big announcement last September...great timing, huh? I have a feeling a few more channels will pick up ACC games this year throughout Upstate NY and WPA.

Chris..they actually picked it up the week prior. clairvolent

Yeah, Claire Voyant works at the ACC office. Her job is to leak important announcements to TV people.
07-17-2012 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.