Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The midget thinks ump cost pigs the game against Carolina
Bookmark and Share
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
Typical hog fan and Wally small response, when they lose a game(any sport)it is usually the umpire or officials fault. Calling a baseball game is a bang bang situation. Things happen fast, and it literally is a game of inches, especially with the calling of balls and strikes. What surprises me is that the midget would actually watch a baseball game. He hardly ever writes about baseball, and when he does, he is always critical of the game. Evidently baseball isn't manly enough for him. The jerk comes through again.
06-24-2012 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: The midget thinks ump cost pigs the game against Carolina
Normally I would agree with you that Wally is just projecting sour grapes, but strangely, prior to Wally's article, a friend of mine who is not a die hard Razorback fan, but who watched the game, asked me if I had seen the game, to which I replied that I didn't, and he mentioned that the umpire's calling of balls and strikes seemed to greatly favor the South Carolina team, and that the same pitches he called strikes for the Carolina pitchers, he called balls when the Razorback pitchers were on the mound. At least Wally wasn't the only one who thought the umpiring was somewhat fishy. But it is unfortunate that the game might have been influenced by incorrect umpiring.
06-24-2012 07:02 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
Darn Texas umps.
06-24-2012 07:43 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2012 07:02 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  Normally I would agree with you that Wally is just projecting sour grapes, but strangely, prior to Wally's article, a friend of mine who is not a die hard Razorback fan, but who watched the game, asked me if I had seen the game, to which I replied that I didn't, and he mentioned that the umpire's calling of balls and strikes seemed to greatly favor the South Carolina team, and that the same pitches he called strikes for the Carolina pitchers, he called balls when the Razorback pitchers were on the mound. At least Wally wasn't the only one who thought the umpiring was somewhat fishy. But it is unfortunate that the game might have been influenced by incorrect umpiring.

You're right Doc, the midget wasn't the only one who thought the pigs were skewered. Most any hog fan would tell you that today. The hogs don't get beat, they get screwed by the officials. Games are stolen every year from the pigs. And who in the world is more prejudiced than a hog fan? I've seen a lot of bad calls in all sports over the years. To my knowledge, I've never witnessed an official in baseball, basketball, or football that I thought was crooked. I've seen bad ones yes, but crooked ones, I don't know about that. I'm sure there have been some along the way. Whether one was working the plate Thursday night and screwed the hogs, I can't say. The midget can't either.
06-24-2012 07:49 PM
hb8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: stAte
Texas umps, I'm telling you it's those Texas umps.
06-24-2012 08:52 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2012 08:52 PM)hb8 Wrote:  Texas umps, I'm telling you it's those Texas umps.

I didn't see the walk that brought in the winning run. But, they had a still photo of the 3-2 pitch, that walked in the run, on the hog board. It looked like a shot from ESPN showing the strike zone "box" and exactly where the pitch was. From what I had heard I assumed the pitch that "cost" them the game was down the middle of the plate. In the photo a small part of the ball was touching the very corner of the lower left hand side of the strike "box". Yes, so technically it was a strike. But the umpire doesn't get to see the pitch in "stop action" with the outline of a strike out box to help him make the call. Umpires are human. Maybe one day they will use computers to make the ball and strike calls. But right now a close pitch is always a judgment call. A batter with 2 strikes has to protect the plate- that's simply been a part of the game for over 100 years.

Maybe the ump did suck. My son, who says he never blames officials, said he was really "bad" and inconsistent throughout the game. Still it's like the boy who cried wolf. Since hog fans always blame the officials for a loss, it's hard to take them seriously even if they may have a case in a particular instance.
06-24-2012 09:30 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
It was a fun year to follow them. To get that close to the CWS championship series was simply amazing.
06-25-2012 06:20 AM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Scotto, it was. I always ask myself after a good run, will we ever be back here.

I am not a baseball fan but I did start watching as it looked like we could win.

Most times fans forget about some calls that went their way along the way that allowed them to even be there. Think back to the 23 win team. We would most of those games by 7 points or less. We probably got a lot of calls along the way.
06-25-2012 07:07 AM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2012 06:20 AM)Scotto Wrote:  It was a fun year to follow them. To get that close to the CWS championship series was simply amazing.

Yes, they had a good year, and certainly have nothing to be ashamed of. Got eliminated in a close game. Very easily could have been in the finals. But to claim that one pitch which was right on the borderline of being either a strike or a ball, cost the hogs a chance at the national championship is ludicrous. No telling how many borderline calls went in the hogs favor during that game, although Wally small insinuated that the plate umpire was tainted.
06-25-2012 07:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.