Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Hoops Out of Conference Opponents?
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
Men's Hoops Out of Conference Opponents?
I'm not sure if this is news or not, but I thought Dennis would appreciate this...
Buried deep in this story, you'll see that Syracuse and Kentucky appear to be on the schedule for this upcoming season...
http://annarbor.com/news/eastern-michiga...c8.twitter

"The department also will earn $750,000 for playing Purdue University in football, $100,000 for playing Syracuse University in basketball and $100,000 for playing Kentucky in basketball."
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2012 09:34 AM by KPJ.)
06-20-2012 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

RE: Men's Hoops Out of Conference Opponents?
Kentucky? Yikes. Good thing it makes the school some money, because One-and-Done University will run us off the court. Gotta pay the bills, though.
06-20-2012 10:58 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
what?!?!??! how cool would it be to go play at Kentucky? sounds like an exciting trip. good for them.
06-20-2012 03:34 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(06-20-2012 03:34 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  what?!?!??! how cool would it be to go play at Kentucky? sounds like an exciting trip. good for them.

Where is the perfunctory recruiting comment:

"It will be good for recruiting". Lol.
06-21-2012 08:28 AM
TheCrumbIsHere Offline
2nd String

I Root For: E. Michigan
Well, considering the fact that I live in Louisville, I'm not quite sure whether I should be excited or not for EMU to come down here to play Kentucky. I already get enough confused looks from my students when I rave about EMU and point out the Football and Basketball poster I post in the front of the room each year. Admittedly though a few of our kids that run track and field don't quite mock it so much when I bring up the Olympians that EMU has produced over the years.. However, I also teach at a school with a ton of UK fans so.. unless EMU pulls off the upset of the century, I'm likely to get ribbed about it for a while.

The one good thing though. It'll be on local TV down here. lol.

Rupp Arena is also one of those college basketball landmarks as well, so it ought to be a cool trip.
06-21-2012 08:53 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I believe we set a record yesterday in D.C. so it must be hoops time? Lol.

I went to a CMU board and apparently not only have they lost players to transfer and more to transfer but they also have kids with 'academic work to do' to remain eligible.

CMU '12/'13 just might be one of the worst MAC teams of all time.

Maybe a lot of schools are lining up to schedule CMU. Can be schedule them more than twice? Lol.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 05:00 AM by emu steve.)
06-22-2012 04:59 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-21-2012 08:53 PM)TheCrumbIsHere Wrote:  Well, considering the fact that I live in Louisville, I'm not quite sure whether I should be excited or not for EMU to come down here to play Kentucky. I already get enough confused looks from my students when I rave about EMU and point out the Football and Basketball poster I post in the front of the room each year. Admittedly though a few of our kids that run track and field don't quite mock it so much when I bring up the Olympians that EMU has produced over the years.. However, I also teach at a school with a ton of UK fans so.. unless EMU pulls off the upset of the century, I'm likely to get ribbed about it for a while.

The one good thing though. It'll be on local TV down here. lol.

Rupp Arena is also one of those college basketball landmarks as well, so it ought to be a cool trip.

Bottom line:

EMU will be stronger than last year.

Won't KY squad from last year be playing in the NBA? (should give them an expansion team or relocate team and call them the "Ketucky Colonels" ala the old ABA team). or maybe the "Kentucky Wild Colonels". :)
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2012 05:03 AM by emu steve.)
06-22-2012 05:02 AM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eagles
(06-22-2012 04:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I believe we set a record yesterday in D.C. so it must be hoops time? Lol.

I went to a CMU board and apparently not only have they lost players to transfer and more to transfer but they also have kids with 'academic work to do' to remain eligible.

Maybe a lot of schools are lining up to schedule CMU. Can be schedule them more than twice? Lol.

STEVE, Can you elaborate on the 'more to transfer" comment and more academicwork to do? They may have a tough time fielding a competitive team.
06-22-2012 10:23 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-22-2012 10:23 AM)Dennis Hoopster Wrote:  
(06-22-2012 04:59 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I believe we set a record yesterday in D.C. so it must be hoops time? Lol.

STEVE, Can you elaborate on the 'more to transfer" comment and more academicwork to do? They may have a tough time fielding a competitive team.

I'm not sure if I got the 'to transfer' correct. Will need to recheck.

Here is an article on two who are having eligibility issues.

http://www.cm-life.com/2012/06/15/jackso...ball-team/
06-22-2012 11:07 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Here is an article from April discussing the earlier departures.

http://www.cm-life.com/2012/04/15/austin...-requests/
06-22-2012 11:11 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
CMU recently lost Jackson and Hardon. Throw in McBroom, Myrick and Trey and that's basically their 5 best players from last year. Coimbra is out of eligibility I believe.

I can't remember if they lost their frosh 3 point shooter Kiel or not.

Either way, they've lost a ton from a team that wasn't very good last year.

With their academic issues and transfers, I would expect them to be penalized under the APR system after the 2012 season. They somewhat mirror Toledo's problems 3-4 years ago. EZ was Joplin....Keno could be Cross...and it could be ugly for the next 2 years at CMU. I would expect 4-7 wins.
06-22-2012 11:26 AM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
people don't know jack about joplin.

you compare him to EZ, Ernie Ziegler?

stan was a strong player in the mac. academic standout. made one the most memorable shots in conference history, ncaa tourney buzzer beater to take down the big10 champs. was a respected asst in mac and at msu. took a mediocre 1990s toledo program and made them a winning mac team for 10 straight yrs. beat osu, msu, dayton, xavier, cincy. what did EZ do?

toledo had great APR scores (for whatever that's worth) and good grad rates under joplin until his last year when the admin pulled away from him and he was fired. how many kids did EZ graduate?

the gambling thing had nothing to do with him but he was tainted by it anyway. when he left some things needed to be fixed. a competent coach would have done that, but toledo hired a philandering drinking game playing moron, who recruited-ran off-recruited-ran off----- 15 players in 2 years.give keno a chance. he has a nice arena. supportive admin. good women's program to share the floor with. and no expectations to win right away. as a toledo fan i wouldn't wish the comparison to gene cross on anyone's team.

well, maybe bg
06-23-2012 04:22 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
Regarding the Central woes, just makes my day. Couldn't happen to a better school. Right now, if I were a high school basketball player looking for scholarships, Central would not be on the list. What a mess. Kind of like the last few years with Ramsey, but not quite as bad.
06-30-2012 03:59 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Actually academics under Ramsey improved unfortunately there wasn't likewise improvement on the court.
07-01-2012 12:00 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear emu79,
You hit it on the head. I meant recruiting. Except for Brandon Bowdry the last few years were short of truly good talent, especially when one thinks of Associate Coach McDowell from Detroit Redford, Eastern virtually got no talent out of Detroit. I never understood that, and while coach at Redford, his team went to the state finals twice.
07-03-2012 12:03 PM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

(07-03-2012 12:03 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear emu79,
You hit it on the head. I meant recruiting. Except for Brandon Bowdry the last few years were short of truly good talent, especially when one thinks of Associate Coach McDowell from Detroit Redford, Eastern virtually got no talent out of Detroit. I never understood that, and while coach at Redford, his team went to the state finals twice.

NO ONE WANTED TO COME HERE, RAMSEY HAD TO RECRUIT A FEW LATE JUCOS.
07-03-2012 12:16 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Dennis Hoopster,
I've heard that before, but no one has ever gone into any detail as to why. Can you give me some info on it? It would be much appreciated.
07-03-2012 02:31 PM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

(07-03-2012 02:31 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Dennis Hoopster,
I've heard that before, but no one has ever gone into any detail as to why. Can you give me some info on it? It would be much appreciated.

Just my own opinion but:

LOCAL HS PLAYERS PLAYED BEFORE BIGGER CROWDS IN HS THAN AT THE CONVO

LOCAL HS COACHES DIDN'T MUCH CARE FOR RAMSEY

NON CONFERENCE SCHEDULE WAS WEAK FOR THE MOST PART

RAMSEY WAS LAZY AND DIDN'T WORK/RECRUIT HARD

MEDIA COVERAGE Was lacking

DIDN'T WIN

THE ABOVE ARE SOMEOF THE REASONS I'V HEARD AND CONCUR WITH OVER THE YEARS

NEW ERA UNDER MURPHY AND CO LETS SUPPORT THEM!
07-03-2012 03:41 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Dennis,
Thanks for the information. It makes me sad that the high school coaches didn't like Ramsey, but it was probably his own fault. That is such an important factor for recruiting, one wonders if he realized that?
07-04-2012 10:03 AM
Dennis Hoopster Offline
Special Teams

(07-04-2012 10:03 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Dennis,
Thanks for the information. It makes me sad that the high school coaches didn't like Ramsey, but it was probably his own fault. That is such an important factor for recruiting, one wonders if he realized that?

he was his own man, didn't pay heed to any of his assistants as I understand it!
07-04-2012 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.